Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I've been running across a bunch of sites where I get a box when using Opera web browser saying that the login isn't secure - including this forum. It's probably because the site isn't using SSL (https). I suppose it's not a big deal unless someone hijacks your account.

Not much point in requiring a login if the password isn't protected. Don't blame me if someone hijacks my account and does malicious things. Of course, I have so many userid/password combos that I have to use a password manager since I have to login/register with so many sites.

You can login with https here if you want to. And after your logged in browse with regular http. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: KE4EST
What version of Opera are you running?

You do know that Opera did the same thing that Firefox did a few years back right, ie, they NO LONGER build their own browser engine and instead did like Firefox and use the Google Chrome engine and just add stuff on to that with the Opera name.

Opera 12.18 was the last x86 and x64 version of the original Presto browser engine. There's been NO security updates on either for about 2 or 3 years now and what you are seeing is the result of that with the security certificate thingie.

I know this because I still use the Old Presto engine Opera myself. :oldwink

Opera 12.18 was the last x86 and x64 version of the original Presto browser engine. There's been NO security updates on either for about 2 or 3 years now and what you are seeing is the result of that with the security certificate thingie.

Opera 12.18 was released in early 2016 and was a security update, and was the first (and only) update in over two years. Surprised me when it was released!

And, obviously, I still use it too, it is my preferred browser (I also use Firefox, but only on sites that don't work on Opera 12.18).

Reactions: Lone Gunman
I also use the old Opera browser on my Ubuntu and Mint Linux boxes but the last version of that available in Synaptic Package Manager is 12.16. Same problem with the certificates on that one also.

I did download the new Chrome engine Opera for Windowz but never did install it on anything.

Old habits are hard to break I guess cuz I've still got 8 desktop systems I use, 4 of those on a regular basis that have Windowz XP on them partly because I like horking with Micro$oft and also because I like that OS a lot! :oldwink

Reactions: Keith Brannen
What version of Opera are you running?

You do know that Opera did the same thing that Firefox did a few years back right, ie, they NO LONGER build their own browser engine and instead did like Firefox and use the Google Chrome engine and just add stuff on to that with the Opera name.

Can you direct me to links on this information? From what i found, FireFox STILL uses the Gecko engine which is not in any way affiliated with Chrome. There is talks that the next generation engine that has yet to come to life may be based off the Chrome engine....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)