Look at Timewarner cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The only reason I have Directv is the recession, and that's because I've had a 23 mpg car since 2003
Sorry Zell, I just dont understand this part of the post. Did you mistype? You only have D* BECAUSE of the recession? Not trying to give you a hard time, just curious what you meant;)

Either way though, I got D* for the digital transition, and because I know there's a strong possibility this recession could turn inot a depression and therefore wanted something besides the internet and online games to make me happy during it.

I bought into D* thinking they were gonna keep adding channels. Yes, it's a good service, yes the sports is great, but if they don't keep their word then I don't feel it's worth it.

Sorry Zell, I just dont understand this part of the post. Did you mistype? You only have D* BECAUSE of the recession? Not trying to give you a hard time, just curious what you meant;)

1. Since the recession started, since I've been so green all my life it's paid off, and I've ended up BETTER off then before the recession. I've expanded my going green, I've had cfls for a long ass time, I now mainly use leds on automated lights. Like I said, my energy bill is more then half less as last year. I've gotten alot of things since last year, kinda went nuts doing it. Of course I gotta pay for my stuff every month on the dot unless I want to die from higher % rates.....
2. It's also psychological. Getting satellite tv during a recession tends to make you feel better at home.

The thing is, I spent mayber over $5000 end of last year to spring this year getting stuff to save money and energy. I got nothing but flak from my friends. Personally, I don't care what people think.

Having explained it (and thanks by the way) it makes me more confused as to your viewpoints over people that defend D*. You said that they dont seem willing to cut back, and tied it all into the recession and things being worth it. You also said that some of them sound like the obviously dont pay their own bills because of their posts. Which brings me back to my original point. Perhaps they simply think it is worth it as is, and are satisfied. Perhaps they have also planned ahead and even with the recession D* service (and the channels offered) is still acceptable to them.

Other than differing viewpoints (you want more, they are satisfied), I dont see any difference in what you did, and what they did. You didnt cut back, you spent more.

Nothing wrong with your view, just seems that you are a being a little unfair in your assesment of others since they dont share your opinion. Not trying to offfend, just making an observation:up

My whole point in saying what I said is that when you pay your own bills, you usually tend to care about where that money goes.

1. Since the recession started, since I've been so green all my life it's paid off, and I've ended up BETTER off then before the recession. I've expanded my going green, I've had cfls for a long ass time, I now mainly use leds on automated lights. Like I said, my energy bill is more then half less as last year. I've gotten alot of things since last year, kinda went nuts doing it. Of course I gotta pay for my stuff every month on the dot unless I want to die from higher % rates.....
2. It's also psychological. Getting satellite tv during a recession tends to make you feel better at home.

The thing is, I spent mayber over $5000 end of last year to spring this year getting stuff to save money and energy. I got nothing but flak from my friends. Personally, I don't care what people think.

Your green viewpoint is commendable, however it wouldnt work for everyone. Based on many factors (not just finances), not everyone can put up wind turbines, or solar panels, ect. More should to be sure, but not everyone can.

In any case, I hope all of that continues to pay off for you

I have looked into doing the same, but our electric bill averages $80/month and gas averages about $30/month. With the upfront costs of purchasing things like solar panels it would take way too long to make it cost effective for us. $5,000 spent to reduce my electricity by 1/2 would take me over 10 years to make it up. Plus, what we wanted to do would cost about $50,000 which would take over 50 years to recupe the cost. Why in the hell would I do that?

As far as CFL's go, these were the worst things ever invented. First, the amount of electricity one uses from bulbs is only a fraction of their total usage. CFLs do not reduce ones bill by very much at all. If people just turned off the lights they were not using, this would make a bigger difference. Also CFLs give off an awful glowing light. I much prefer the direct light of an incondecent. LEDs are great, but they are hard to find. I do not understand why they are pushig the ugly and toxic CFLs over the brighter, more direct light, and more efficient LEDs.

It all depends on where you live. In my area TWC only has a total of 40 HD channels, including locals and PPV.
I agree, NATIONALLY, D* is still at or very near the top. None of the cable companies (Fios or Uverse included) offer the exact same lineup in every market.

Heck, I couldn't even get TWC to come out to my house to do a service survey! They claimed they didn't service my community even after I pointed out that there was a TWC cable box in my front yard and that my neighbor was a customer. "Not possible" was the response so I went with DSL and stayed with DirecTV. I have no desire to do business with TWC regardless of their channel count.....already have more than a reasonable person can watch on DirecTV.

My whole point in saying what I said is that when you pay your own bills, you usually tend to care about where that money goes.
Just curious what it is that makes you think so many people on here have their bills paid for by someone else? Im also curious if you understand the diference between a fan boy and brand loyalty and if you understand that in this industry that leadership changes often.

5%! Wow! Now that's extensive coverage! :rolleyes:

I said "well over 5%." That was in response to someone who referenced that figure as being not that relevant to D*'s market.

I do not know what pct of the population now has access to Verizon FiOS.

Although even 5% is not a number to sneeze at. There are something like 110M households in the USA, so that would be 5.5M potential customers.

Just found some numbers ...

There are 33M households that have at least the option of using Verizon services, be that phone, internet, or TV. By the end of 2008, approximately 12M of these homes will have the option of subscribing to their FiOS services. So that would be about 11% of the US market. Obviously the number of subscribers to FiOS is well below 12M.

They are expecting to have 18M FiOS-accessible households by the end of 2010.

These are big numbers as far as D* is concerned, as they could lose hundreds of thousands of customers to Verizon. As they could also lose customers to the other major cable providers who are being aggressive on this front.

I said "well over 5%." That was in response to someone who referenced that figure as being not that relevant to D*'s market.

I do not know what pct of the population now has access to Verizon FiOS.

Although even 5% is not a number to sneeze at. There are something like 110M households in the USA, so that would be 5.5M potential customers.

Just found some numbers ...

There are 33M households that have at least the option of using Verizon services, be that phone, internet, or TV. By the end of 2008, approximately 12M of these homes will have the option of subscribing to their FiOS services. So that would be about 11% of the US market. Obviously the number of subscribers to FiOS is well below 12M.

They are expecting to have 18M FiOS-accessible households by the end of 2010.

These are big numbers as far as D* is concerned, as they could lose hundreds of thousands of customers to Verizon. As they could also lose customers to the other major cable providers who are being aggressive on this front.

But of those 18m home in 2010 that will have access to FiOS services, how many actually have the TV service. I don't believe just because you have the phone or Internet means you have the TV service. I've seen markets in the past where that's the case.

I am a first time poster, but felt that I had to add my .02. I dabbled in the old pirating and got caught. Paid the price and am now a VERY HAPPY D* customer. I am a sports fanatic and my bill averages over $200 a month. I consider it money well spent and even though the blackouts really P%&% me off, I would never even consider any other service.Sure I want ESPNUHD, but hopefully it will come.I guess what I am trying to say is that if you don't like D* then go for the other options.

Zel you been smoking some good stuff. What planet do you live on. We arent close nor will we be close to a depression what do yo remeber about the depression nothing. This site is about sat and hd tv. If there was a major recession or depression there woulndt be anyone on this site. Whats the difference for people being a direct apoligist as you put it. Than you being a green apoligist to each their own.

Quit trying to ram it down peoples throat. Eveyone who thinks different from you people are treated like moroons enough already and just enjoy your direct tv.

Either way though, I got D* for the digital transition, and because I know there's a strong possibility this recession could turn inot a depression and therefore wanted something besides the internet and online games to make me happy during it.

I bought into D* thinking they were gonna keep adding channels. Yes, it's a good service, yes the sports is great, but if they don't keep their word then I don't feel it's worth it.

What do you mean they didn't keep their word. They said back July that they would have 130 HD National Channels. They do have over 130 now. They also said they would have HD locals in over 120 markets by year end and they do.

Directv is much better than Cable for sure. Quality and everything.

But of those 18m home in 2010 that will have access to FiOS services, how many actually have the TV service. I don't believe just because you have the phone or Internet means you have the TV service. I've seen markets in the past where that's the case.
Yep....I have TWC phone and internet, but TV through DirecTV.

Yep....I have TWC phone and internet, but TV through DirecTV.

I do basically the same thing"

ISP: AT&T
TV: DirecTV & OTA
VoIP: ViaTalk
Cell: Verizon

I do no bundles and still beat their overall prices and get more of what I want; my way. I could care less if I send out 4 separate payments vs. only one. I pay online and it takes less than 3 mins total. At any time if I choose to make a change in one area of service, it will never effect any other service because they are never tied or bundled together. Chasing nickles & dimes and jumping ship to ship is just silly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)