Looking for new FTA reciever, maybe...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
So my hobby started with a Pansat 100 (which still works but sitting on a shelf in the basement). Then I got a ST9900 which ended up with some sort of power supply issue and sits on a shelf too. Then I got Neusat SP6000 which worked very well till that got a power supply issue but with this one I was able to replace some blown Caps in the power supply so I made it a spare. Presently, I am using the CNX DUO and so far so good it working good.
With the evolution of transmission schemes and doing MPEG4 DVB S2 and having the internet content available too I beginning to think of maybe getting some sort of Box that can do many things from internet like IPTV and from Satellite. Why not so I don't have to delegate PC for internet content...
I like to be able to open a web brower and log into a subscription and see all my links to click on to watch live tv with a simple remote control.
Azbox seems like it going in that direction and they only have one official distributor listed for USA. I was thinking about the AZBox Premium PLUS HD but I found out that the AZBox ME is coming out this summer and it can play anything to do with flash. That is what they emailed me. I read the specs from the web site on the Premium Plus HD and ME and it seems like their are tuner differences (modular vs embedded) and operating system of Android vs Linux.
I was looking at the Ultra too and personally I think the Ultra would be good because I don't need the wifi or the display on the front if its going to make that much of a price difference of almost $100 I can fore go those things.
My question should I wait to see what the Azbox ME will be like or just get some sort of dedicated box that can do FTA DVB S2 satellite very well?
I like the idea of the unit being modular for example I was looking at the S9 if I not mistaking the Openbox S9 don't do 422 but the tuner can be replaced for one that can right?
I been reading forums on here and it seems like S9 is basically incomplete with the firmware and I wonder how that impacts operation of the box?
Is there any difference in OS being Linux or Android as to how fast firmware gets put out?
The other one I been looking at is the S10 but again reading here it seem like firmware is the issue. I seen post of clock not going time and firmware incomplete as they introduce new models.
Seems to me this is the best they can do and if I wanted a basic DVB S2 receiver with PVR ability tomorrow what should I get that will last me the next few of years? I want to say that I am not limited to the above manufacturers that I mentioned.
I not sure I care about 422 reception but I not come across a feed like that yet to know I want that feature.
I like to hear from people that I have an AZBOX, S9, S10, and any other brands that do DVB S2 like Sonicview, Coolsat etc... and tell their regrets and what they like about their choice.... Also if you purchased one and then sold it please tell why....
Thanks for reading and your response will be helpful.

The Openbox S9 tuner can't be replaced, but the tuner has nothing to do with 4:2:2 anyway. That's the job of the video decoding chip. The CPUs in these boxes are too weak to decode video, so just like having a high-end graphics card in your PC, they use dedicated chips to do it.

the s9 is a great box for the price, it can record 422 if u want then u can play it in your pc.

Man_one do you like this S9 box better than from what you know about the new S10?

I thought the S10 basically was smaller and missing some connections on the back (including component outputs)

I thought the S10 basically was smaller and missing some connections on the back (including component outputs)

That is what it looks like to me. For me my main LCD TV does not have HDMI it has HDCP ( think it called) so I would need to have the component outputs to do HD from the S9. The TV I have i purchased back in 2005 and it ddn't have HDMI.
But I am looking at all options with the resources I have and I not in any rush. That AzBox ME specs look interesting but so does putting a DVB-S2 PCI card in my PC which I posted in the other for forum for PC cards so I just waiting for some responses.

Do you mean DVI? You can get HDMI-to-DVI conversion cables, they're not too expensive if you shop around.

No its not DVI. Its HDCP. Back in 2005 HDMI was not widely used and on my Syntax Olevia 32 inch HDCP is what it is. I looked for some sort of conversion from HDMi with no luck. I jumped the gun with I bought this TV back then because Syntax was promising an ATSC tuner module for it but never became reality so it's stuck with Analog Tuner. I use the Component input from my Dish network VIP 622 so its ok. I get another 5 year out of this TV I be happy.
So back to the thread more opinions. Thanks.

Now I'm intrigued. What does the port look like? As far as I know, HDCP is a copy-protection protocol used on HDMI and, occasionally, DVI. I never heard of it being a physical connection standard.

Now I'm intrigued. What does the port look like? As far as I know, HDCP is a copy-protection protocol used on HDMI and, occasionally, DVI. I never heard of it being a physical connection standard.

Sorry I stand corrected you are right it is a DVI HDCP compliant port that takes analog or digital video signal. The model on the TV is LT32HV. I could never find an adaptor to go from HDMI to that port. The TV has separate audio inputs for this Port.
You made me pull the manual out to get this precise information.

monoprice has the adapters and cables. I use to have an adapter here that plugged in the back of my Quali-TV (DVI output) and hooked the HDMI cable to it. Sounds like you need the same thing

search on monoprice of HDMI DVI

Thanks... I always had the impression there was something more to this than just and adapter. There no power involved in DVI or on the HDMI in my case I could connect my VIP622 to it. I know there was something more about this I just can't remember what.
Now I wonder how audio will be ( lip sync issue?) since I know DVI does not include audio and I would have to run that to the separate audio inputs associated the DVI port.

it will work fine. I've run 2 machines that way (the Q noted above and my Shaw Direct 505 receiver). This was to a Panny HDTV. No issues at all

I have azbox premium plus good receiver .If you have one 8 ft dish and like satellites from 125 west to 27.5 west and dont need 4.2.2 the vantage are the best receiver dont missing no channels very good secaner I have vantage 1100 and vantage vt1 the best for the atlantic birds.If you have one 10ft then the azbox do one good job.

hi neftv. I have 2 Premium plus's. My regrets are it doesn't do things as smoothly and effortlessly as the manufacturers would have you believe. It's not an equivalent for a Dish/Direct TV receiver. when the AZ's first came out I thought it would do the stuff just like my old subsciption receiver. I was sadly disappointed. the webrowser sucked, the iptv didn't work at all, the dual tuner function didn't work, the pvr only worked sometimes etc. things have improved but it still doesn't do all these things perfectly all the time. no fta receiver/recorder does. if you're seriously considering the AZ I would suggest reading the sticky threads in our AZBOX forum on what you will need to do to get it working.

Neftv,

Another new receiver you might take a look at it the Manhattan RS-1933. It's features and small size are similar to the OpenBox S-10, but has some extra software tweaks such as "manual pid entry".
They have now announced the release date as June 24, 2011 delayed due to Dolby license issues.
Manhattan-Digital: News

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)