looking to expand into the c world

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
I have had my motorixed ku band set up for only a few weeks and now getting the itch to add the C band.Im thinking of getting this package from Sadoum Motorized combo Satellite Dish with HH Motor, LNBF, Offset Prime Focus Fortec Star Winegard (MKit 4).I would like to stick with getting a 6 ft dish!any larger and my wife might scream :eek:.Will i miss out on much if i dont get any bigger?.Here is a pic of Dish location!great views to the se/s/sw.Do you think that FTA C will be pretty active next few years to make such an investment worth while?

Attachments

• 001b.jpg
    001b.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 323
Iceberg has been using a 6' Fortec for quite a while and I think he has said he gets about 90% of the available C-band FTA stuff that is up there.

Size definitely matters, you will have issues receiving some of the weaker signals, DVB-S2 and high FEC stuff, with a 6 footer.

That being said, there is a lot of stuff you will be able to get and enjoy, and C-band FTA should be around for years to come.

On C band the bigger the dish the better it works. 6 foot dishes are okay for stronger satellites but do have a problem with 2 degree spacing. You can under illuminate the dish some, that helps with the adjacent bird spillover but you loose gain. I know your wife is a factor but if you can pull off at least a 9-10 foot dish you will be allot more satisfied with the results.

I would say go no less then an 8 foot dish. The size isn't all that unreasonable.

There are probably a lot of free ones around you if you look a bit, saving the $$ of a new one might be a factor in getting the missus to warm to a 10 footer. There is a lot more dvb-s2 on c-band than ku, you wont' see much of it with a six foot dish. That is a nice site you have there to plant a dish.

I may need to hold off on getting a c band dish !Looked up zoning regulations for our town and it states that up to 1 meter for residential and 2 meters for commercial is ok.I really don't know if they would enforce it or not,I would hate to make such a costly investment and then get a letter from the town saying get rid of it.Anyone here ever had to deal with the town about this matter?

If you can put the dish out of sight in the back yard? Somewhere out of sight. The six footer is good. I had virtually the same dish with the Gbox and a 24" acutator. It does get 90% of whats on Cband. The S2- hi def stuff some of it with a six footer is iffy. Nice setup if you can do it. There's a lot of good stuff on Cband. I spend more time on those channels than the Ku stuff now....blind

Thanks Blindow!I do have a spot in back of the house where it would be hidden from the road and only my southern neighbor might be able to see it in the winter when leaves fall.The spot isn't as good as the front!may not be able to get some of the father west sats due to trees,but i should still be able to get a good chunk of the arc.Thinking of sending sadoun a email asking for a price on the c band motorized package with a 8ft dish instead of the 6Ft. 8ft is as big as I'm willing to go!Do you think the 8 ft will pull in what a 6 ft might miss?

You will for sure get a better signal if you can pull off the 8', it will make the difference in getting the ones that are on the edge of break-up or not getting at all.
Should even get S2 if set up well.

I started with the 6' Fortec as well. I now use a 10' mesh. With my 6' I would get RFDTV 103ºW at about 34% and breaking up most days. With the 10' I get it at 99%.
The 6' is good if it is the only way to go, if you can, then the bigger is better.

The first big dish I got was a spun aluminum thing mounted on a guy's roof. I thought it was a 5 footer but it turned out to be 7 feet 11 inches across.

I have since gone to a Birdview solid 8 and a half footer.

The point I'm making is that it looks smaller than what it is, especially if it isn't mounted on the ground. If you have your best sighting of the arc from your roof, for example, you could set up your mast first, then get the dish (I favor just asking people who have one) bring it home and mount it when the wife isn't there.

The first big dish I got was a spun aluminum thing mounted on a guy's roof. I thought it was a 5 footer but it turned out to be 7 feet 11 inches across.

I have since gone to a Birdview solid 8 and a half footer.

The point I'm making is that it looks smaller than what it is, especially if it isn't mounted on the ground. If you have your best sighting of the arc from your roof, for example, you could set up your mast first, then get the dish (I favor just asking people who have one) bring it home and mount it when the wife isn't there.

Thanks LC :) I think i have the wife onboard!she just thinks i spend too much money!but we dont go anywhere so i figure why not spend it home and enjoy.Im just alittle worried about the town making a stink about a large dish!zoneing says 1 meter max.best thing i can do is not place it on the front lawn like i would like to do and place it in the back!hiding most of the view from the road.

Thats a real good reason not to spend money on a new setup, I'd look for a free one that someone is looking to get off their property, you can set it up and if worse comes to worse and the town says "take it down" then you are only out your time.

I have been looking!but so far no luck!Dumb zoneing law!I have a patio umbrella thats the size of a 8 ft dish and thats ok.I could set up a meeting at the town hall foe a excemption!Just have to convince everybody there that it wont be a eyesore.

Last edited:
I'd say go with the 8 footer over the 6 foot if you can. I noticed a difference on several channels. I've never ran across zoning issues like the one where you live. Maybe you try and get an exemption. If it's a small town they might work with you, especially if it's out of sight. Let us know how it works out....Blind

BUD on wooden deck anyone?

Getting alittle closer to getting into C band.Looking to install a 8 ft motorized dish on my back deck!Maybe Iceberg can help me on this one since i heard he has a 6 footer on his.Looks like its going to be at least a $600 price tag for a 8 ft motorized system with shipping included.Im going to see if sadoun can set me up with the c band motorized package with a 8 footer instead of a 6.

I dont have a motorized C-Band dish on my deck. Its a 6 foot fixed dish unless I manually move it ;)

You would need a fair amount of room since the actuator will stick out

Ok!today i had to make a compromise.The good news is that i will be getting a C-band motorized system.The bad news is that it will be a 6ft dish instead of the 8ft. and i will most likely will get less channels than with a 8.On the upside i will get more Ku stuff now using a 1.8 vs the .9 I'm using on the garage roof now.I bought a complete c band package from sadoun including the DSR200c which i have heard is a good receiver and does blind scan well.I will be be using both dishes! One setup in our sun room and the other in my bedroom.The c dish will be mounted on our back deck (nice and invisible:up) and will take pics when set up is complete.

Ok!today i had to make a compromise.The good news is that i will be getting a C-band motorized system.The bad news is that it will be a 6ft dish instead of the 8ft. ...

Who or what made you compromise??? :confused:

I do not think that a 8 footer would be that much bigger or more noticable!

Maybe Sadoun could send an 8' by "mistake" instead of the 6' BUD! ;)

Last I knew Sadoun only carried a 6 footer private label dish. They quit carrying the 8 foot Fortec dish. I think he talked about stocking an 8 footer though. WSI/Galaxy still sells an 8 footer. I'm thinking I'm correct on this but I've been wrong before lol....Blind

Last I knew Sadoun only carried a 6 footer private label dish. They quit carrying the 8 foot Fortec dish. I think he talked about stocking an 8 footer though. WSI/Galaxy still sells an 8 footer. I'm thinking I'm correct on this but I've been wrong before lol....Blind

That could be a good reason to compromise and get a 6 footer! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.