Low HD picture quality, high compression or what???

conjuror... I agree with you. My Voom PQ does not come near my OTA experience with my other STB. Pictures and colors very crushed. I am thining it is an inferior Motorola box. It is hard to believe that so many Vooms rave about the PQ and I can't see it because of my comparison to OTA HD. I know I should stop comparing...but that is what I got HD for. Voom prides itself on its Crisp...Clear PQ. I don't see it. Ihave had voom for almost two weeks. I am not going to give up my old STB yet. But I do hope that firmware upgrade in the box does something to improve PQ. Right now Voom channels and OTA all look degraded and I have had the resolution set to 1080, 720 and native.

Conjuror: yeah I see pixellation on cinema10 too and on rushhd sometimes I see big squares like somebody is throwing confetti at the screen.

For a fair comparison to E*, you need to compare same channels and programs.

Anyway, if you're a soccer fan, how can you prefer MLS to European soccer. Come on, that's like preferring CBA to the NBA :)

I don't see how two broadcasts at 1080i can even look that much different, unless their is loss of signal between the homes.

HBO HD would broadcast the same regardless of company, maybe they would use different compressions but to be like "OMG THIS LOOKS LIKES TOTAL CRAP" sound a bit like someone works for Dish.

Dvlos said:
I don't see how two broadcasts at 1080i can even look that much different, unless their is loss of signal between the homes.

Two words: Bit rate.

Dvlos said:
HBO HD would broadcast the same regardless of company, maybe they would use different compressions but to be like "OMG THIS LOOKS LIKES TOTAL CRAP" sound a bit like someone works for Dish.

You are not receiving the broadcast from HBO, you are receiving from Voom. The contents of the broadcasts are the same, the quality is not.

To someone who is not used to HBO-HD, I'm sure it looks fab. To someone who is used to something better...

PINK PANTHER: Check your TV or VOOM box. I've still got DTV and I can put split the screen between WorldSport and HDNET and they both look eqully great. Did the same with Discovery VOOM and Discovery DTV just to check PQ when I first got VOOM. Same thing; great PQ on both.

Have you guys ever seen HD channels on Dish or OTA? If not, then you cannot know what I'm talking about.

I have and I do. I had the 6000U watching HDNet, Discovery HD Theater, HBOHD, ShoHD, etc. Every single one of those channels looks a lot better on Dish Network. And it has everything to do with compression. Period, hands down. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Conjuror, don't let all of these Voomer's try to fool you. What you are seeing is, in fact, a poorer image quality than what you got with Dish Network.

Everybody here will tell you to prove it, blah, blah, freakin-blah... They want you to show bit rates, etc. However, neither Dish Network, nor Voom will release Bit Rate data. I have seen numbers that Dish Network has the highest bit rates of D*, V* and E*. I haven't seen D* so I can't comment on that. But I know, fo a fact, that V* doesn't look nearly as good as E*.

I believe that Dish Network won't release their data rate info because they have hit their bandwidth limitation. I also believe that V* has hit their bandwidth limitation, but have an additional reason to not release the data: Because their per channel data rate is lower than any other provider (they forced themselves into this by offering too many HD channels (cinema 10) that most people don't even watch (but it make their numbers look good.)

You can do one of two things:
  • Cancel Voom and go back to Dish Network
  • Decide that you'd rather have quantity over quality (Voom does offer many more HD channels - even above and beyond their exclusive offerings.) AND wait it out until they upgrade to Mpeg-4 and wm9 encoding/decoding.
The choice is up to you.

By the way, don't let anyone tell you that it's your equipment either. I used the EXACT same cables with the EXACT same setup as with my Dish Network box. I even recalibrated after I got the Voom box. It ain't the equipment. I promise.

Heavily pixelated picture, right now on WorldSport

If you have a chance, tune to Voom 123 and closely watch current soccer game. During long camera shots I can see heavy pixelation usually on upper side of the TV screen. If you ever used Photoshop, this effect is called mosaic pixelation. I can see it on every long camera shot on every soccer game, especially this game between Real and Valladolid. It is especially visible when camera moves left or right.
There is no such a thing on HDNet soccer games on Dish, which means there is nothing wrong with my TV.
This pixelation has to occur because of heavy compression for HDTV standards. And that is why there is no wow effect on Voom. Compression is heavy enough to make the famous wow effect disappear. I wanna hear from Voom on this issue. I emailed them but never got their response. This compression rate may destroy HDTV wow effect if it becomes the industry standard. That is why we have to fight it right now.

Why didn't you just keep this in the original thread? I'll try to find it...

May I ask the Dish 811 setup, how much is it? Because I really don't like Dish's standard lineup, when I hard originally called for prices to include HDTV, they wanted more money, another antenna, and for channels like Discovery HD there was a higher fee.

I have 60 inches... I do see some pixelation but if you can tell me that DISH is at least TWICE as good as Voom I have a hard time believing it.. I can wait for October for MPEG4 compression and more HDTV channels.

Kepping it in one thread is not good because no one will read 100 posts. I'm glad you don't see it vurbano. You probably didn't need an HDTV set then.

Conjuror said:
Kepping it in one thread is not good because no one will read 100 posts. I'm glad you don't see it vurbano. You probably didn't need an HDTV set then.
you probably dont need one.

The pixelation I think is noticeable on dark areas of the screen, this happens to me on my DVD player too, I'm shooting for a 1080i DVD player in the future anyhow...You don't notice compression artifacts less on MPEG compressed anything on smaller screens though so I see ChetK's point.

Dvlos said:
I have 60 inches... I do see some pixelation but if you can tell me that DISH is at least TWICE as good as Voom I have a hard time believing it.. I can wait for October for MPEG4 compression and more HDTV channels.
Twice would be a little bit too much. When I watch a soccer game on HDNet, I know what is HDTV thing all about. I don't know it on Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)