Mac OS X Lion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Are you getting OSX Lion?

• Yes I plan on upgrading

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No I will stay with my current OS X

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I dont use Mac

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
One of the things that seemed to be missing with Lion was in Mission Control's 'spaces' functionality. I could find no way to assign an app to a desktop and have it always open there. I had about given up and a friend showed me something that put me on the right track.

Here's how to assign an app to a desktop :
1. Open the application
2. Click on Mission Control
3. Drag the application window to the Desktop you want it on
4. then right-click (2-finger tap) on the Dock Icon for that app
5. Under 'Options' select 'This Desktop'

That's it, you're done.

One caution, for some reason some apps won't show desktop assignment in 'options' in the dock icon. I have no clue why. But it does work for most the apps I tried it with.

One of the things that seemed to be missing with Lion was in Mission Control's 'spaces' functionality. I could find no way to assign an app to a desktop and have it always open there. I had about given up and a friend showed me something that put me on the right track.

Here's how to assign an app to a desktop :
1. Open the application
2. Click on Mission Control
3. Drag the application window to the Desktop you want it on
4. then right-click (2-finger tap) on the Dock Icon for that app
5. Under 'Options' select 'This Desktop'

That's it, you're done.

One caution, for some reason some apps won't show desktop assignment in 'options' in the dock icon. I have no clue why. But it does work for most the apps I tried it with.

yup, that's how you do it. :) Unfortunately they have totally screwed up the ability to put apps into second display windows without having to manually place it.

On the flip side, mission control really does make work on a laptop easier in many ways.

Yep, but once you assign it, it stays assigned. You only have to do it once per app you want to have an assigned window.

One thing I noticed with Safari is now if you are in a different desktop and click on its icon, it opens a window in the desktop you're in. That wasn't true with SL, it would switch back to where an open safari window already was. This is handy for me.

What are the new memory requirements?

My iMac had been running very slowly and safari was crashing often. Looked into it a couple of weeks ago and found that it only had 2 gB installed. Went to Fry's and they told me the only upgrade available to me was 4 GB. Installed that, but if the minimum for Lion is 4, I wonder if performance will be acceptable?
Well, considering Apple sells the newly updated Mac Mini and 11" Mac Book Air with Lion and 2 GB, I would think 2 GB should be "fine" (as in it will work, but may not be optimal). Here's the Apple page for Lion's Requirements: Apple - OS X Lion - Technical specifications

Just for the heck of it (and I was a bit bored <G>), I made a bootable DVD of OSX Lion installation. Pretty simple to do. Then I decided to make a virgin Lion to an empty HD, no upgrade, just straight up full install. Here's what I found in doing it:
1. Booting the DVD took about 20 minutes! -- unreal...
2. The first part of the install creates a hidden partition and stuffs a recovery system into it. All of this take about 40 minutes
3. THEN it does a reboot and installs from that hidden partition.

All in all a little less than an hour and a half.

The installation is about 5Gb on the HD. No real value in this except that you now know that it is a full install and not just an upgrade over SL.

Just for the heck of it (and I was a bit bored <G>), I made a bootable DVD of OSX Lion installation. Pretty simple to do. Then I decided to make a virgin Lion to an empty HD, no upgrade, just straight up full install. Here's what I found in doing it:
1. Booting the DVD took about 20 minutes! -- unreal...
2. The first part of the install creates a hidden partition and stuffs a recovery system into it. All of this take about 40 minutes
3. THEN it does a reboot and installs from that hidden partition.

All in all a little less than an hour and a half.

The installation is about 5Gb on the HD. No real value in this except that you now know that it is a full install and not just an upgrade over SL.

Nice to know that. Very slow though. Sounds like a Windows install. :)

Nice to know that. Very slow though. Sounds like a Windows install. :)

What a terrible thing to say of a UNIX!! :)

Yeah, it is slow. I was watching closely to see what was going on. Once it said it was going online to get some more during the create the recovery system, I wondered how it was going to do it since it hadn't asked for my password for the wireless. Nor did it appear that the wifi was on, but the cable modem was showing some activity and I think I was the only one on the network this morning.

I think, but do not know, that if you were to format your boot drive and try to do an install that it would get all from the recovery and only take about 20 minutes, which isn't bad.

Ah, one oddity. On the Magic Trackpad with the virgin Lion install, I never could get a tap-tap-hold to allow for moving a window around, had to click-hold the manual click. It works fine in my actual system.

In Lion there are two ways you can ascertain a file's location via Spotlight:

1. Highlight the item with your cursor then click the cmd key+i this should bring up the 'info' window which shows the path under 'General' at the top.

2. Highlight the item with your cursor a preview of the file should pop up. If you press and hold the cmd key the name of the file should appear at the very bottom of the preview 'pane' then after a few seconds it should scroll and show you the path.

Regarding the scroll direction: I had my wife and son log in and I cleared the "scroll in the direction of movement" checkmark in the Mouse properties. I left it on for my account so I can get used to it.

Regarding the scroll direction: I had my wife and son log in and I cleared the "scroll in the direction of movement" checkmark in the Mouse properties. I left it on for my account so I can get used to it.

I turned that off the second I installed Lion. I tried it for 2 minutes - and yes, while it is how the iPad scrolls, I don't like it. :)

So far Lion has seemed stable, although the other day I managed to have some process (disnoted) starting to run up CPU usage big time, and slowing everything down, and causing a bunch of programs to go non-responsive. Ultimately I had to Force Quit several and was able to reboot, and the problem went away. Kind of annoying, but it hasn't happened again thankfully.

Not specific to Lion, but why on earth did Apple design such a crappy Address Book app. It looks stupid, it is underpowered, and its a pain to use.

Anyone have any alternatives they use which utilize the same Apple address book database? (Want to be able to use it with the Mail.app program).

I wish the people who made BusyCal had a similar app for the Address book. BusyCal is great (making up for all of iCal's similar shortcomings).

Now I need to change my vote from "I don't use a Mac" to "I plan on Updating." Currently downloading the free update now

Now I need to change my vote from "I don't use a Mac" to "I plan on Updating." Currently downloading the free update now

Her new machine didn't ship with Lion? That stinks. I'd have thought they would also be shipping with it by now. Particularly if it came from the Apple Store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)