Mac OS X Lion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Are you getting OSX Lion?

• Yes I plan on upgrading

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No I will stay with my current OS X

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I dont use Mac

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
The new opperating system for mac came out this morning, just wondering who is going to get it?

Probably not upgrading today, but yes, will upgrade. I think it will make the mbp easier to use. I like how it can cluster running instances of an app - a windows-type feature that has bugged me with Snow Leopard.

Installing it now, still about 12 minutes to go in the install.

Took less time to download the 4GB file then it has been to install it.

Haven't decided yet. I'll wait a few days for the user reviews to start coming through.

I was at Fry's on Sunday and probably would have bought it then if it had been available. Now I can wait.

I'll be upgrading, just not right away.

I'm still using Quicken 2007 and it won't work under Lion and there may be other stuff I use that won't either. This will be the first time I've delayed an OS upgrade because of software support issues.

Am try to install it on my Dell Studio 13 hackintosh

Sent using SatelliteGuys with my EVO non 3D LoL

Don't own MACs, but I do use them and used to own one. Probably never own one again, except for the one I may get my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

After seeing my friend's install, and the speedy download (which I am still surprised by), I am installing it now. 32 minutes to go.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I'll be upgrading, just not right away.

I'm still using Quicken 2007 and it won't work under Lion and there may be other stuff I use that won't either. This will be the first time I've delayed an OS upgrade because of software support issues.

I am a little concerned about some potential issues with Office 2011; it seems as if Communicator has the most problems, but I don't use it. Just really need Word to be stable, although if necessary I can temporarily work in Pages or ust write in RTF in Devonthink Pro (which has been tested).

Mine was the same way..

Besides a few things nothing is really popping out at me...

It probably took 40 minutes, was pretty much done after I wrote my post.

So far, it seems pretty nice. I like the new desktop features, adding desktops, and you just scroll left to right for virtual desktops.

I did the Software Update, and it wanted to update itunes to 10.4, I said NO THANK YOU, and then clicked on itunes (which had been on 10.5b3, and it would not run. So I think Lion installed a version of 10.3, so I just reinstaled 10.5b3 and everything is fine.

Went full screen in Chrome and could not for the life of me figure out how to escape from it. I figured ESC would do it. NOPE. Had to google it. COmmand-Shift-F, and it worked.

The new two finger scroll is in reverse, scroll down and it goes up the page, scroll up and it goes down. I went to System Preferences and immediately changed that back.

I really like the launch pad. That will make finding apps easy, particularly once I organize stuff into folders. Very iOSesque. (yes, I made that word up!).

Not sure I need my user name showing up in the tray, wasting space. Might make that go away, if I can figure out how to. Useful for switching users, but I am the only user on this machine.

I went ahead and got it. I first exported all my Quicken crap to a qif file so I could bring it into whatever I ended up using.

All went well, and everything worked as I had expected it to for the most part. No Quicken, but I new that. but no GNUCash which was free and decent enough for what I wanted, but it won't run on Lion for some reasons, not PPC code, just something hinky. Ended up with Checkbook, at $14.95 it does all I need.

MS Office I had was old, so no go on it. The only one I was surprised by was Band-in-a-Box. I had an older version and hadn't used it in forever, and unless I upgrade it, doesn't look like I'm going to be using it anytime soon either... :)

I am a little concerned about some potential issues with Office 2011; it seems as if Communicator has the most problems, but I don't use it. Just really need Word to be stable, although if necessary I can temporarily work in Pages or ust write in RTF in Devonthink Pro (which has been tested).

Now that has me worried. I use Office 2008, and pretty heavily. If there are word, excel or entourage (outlook) issues, that would be a deal breaker.

I was getting confused by why some process called mds was eating up 30% or more of CPU, but then I realized Spotlight is reindexing the hard drive, so its working harder than it usually does. So I guess I won't be able to really tell about performance until that is done.

Sophos Anti-Virus seems to be a hog too. Need to check to see if they have an update. I know that McAfee is incompatible with Lion, and my work requires it, so oh well... :)

Now that has me worried. I use Office 2008, and pretty heavily. If there are word, excel or entourage (outlook) issues, that would be a deal breaker.

Can't tell you about Outlook as I am no longer using it, but I will be testing our Word, Excel, and Powerpoint pretty extensively the next few days, particularly word.

For those with OS X, why would you NOT want to update? From what I have seen, this is a pretty impressive OS for MAC

For those with OS X, why would you NOT want to update? From what I have seen, this is a pretty impressive OS for MAC

Because just like when Vista came out, there were XP users who held off, because of concerns of compatibility with apps.

And since Lion eliminates support for the Power PC apps, for some, its not a trivial issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts