Mac users please

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I got my Macbook pro back from the guy who rented it from me and now I'm back to learning it again. I signed up for the Apple Store's $99 training program and just had my 2nd session. But there are some questions I have that I don't believe can be honestly answered at the store-

The Macbook pro has this built in web browser called safari and a built in e-mail program. Are all mac users using these or have you chosen other browsers and e-mail clients and why. I wonder if Outlook is availabe for the Mac.

I do have parallels on it so I could operate e-mauil and web browsing that way but the idea here is to see what Mac users who don't jump to windows are happy with.

Apple Mail and Safari are terrific products but I use Entourage for email since it's a fully integrated PIM. It is part of Microsoft Office and is very similar to Outlook (which is not part of Office: Mac). If I didn't have Office I'd be using Apple Mail.

I don't have a MacBook yet (just a dual 1G Powermac G5). I read a rumor that new MacBook Pros were being released during the WWDC beginning June 11.

Dana

I use Safari (except for things it doesn't like), and the built in mail client.

I actually like mail.app (the mail client) for IMAP access to my home server and also the company Exchange Server.

LER

I use mail.app as well - does everything I want. But if I was integrating or cross sharing I'd likely use Entourage.
For a browser I use Firefox

I use safari and apple mail. Mail is great and safari seems to be able to work on all of the sites i use!

I'm using Firefox for browsing and use both Entourage & Mail for E-mail. I can access our company's Exchange server using Entourage (although Office 2003 is slicker with RPC over HTTP). I use the Mac Mail for my e-commerce mail account since I don't plan on doing much with it.

I had a chance to play with Safari on my in-Laws' Mac before getting it myself. I found it does some things a little different from other browsers. Firefox just feels better to use, IMHO. I like that it opens links in new tabs instead of new windows, and I like the spell check built in to Firefox so when my brain goes one way and my fingers go the other way, it puts the little red line under the word and I can fix it.

Kinda late in the game to chime in perhaps...

I use Safari and Firefox. Firefox renders large lists more quickly, but otherwise I enjoy both.

As for Entourage, I use it for work since it integrates with Exchange/Calendar/etc. I use Mail.app for my personal account, though I find sometimes it takes a lot of time to do sorting and listing of mail folders.

Entourage itself is a bit of a beast, and will sometimes (twice a month?) lock up the entire OS for 10-20 seconds while it does whatever it wants.

~kulakovich

I use Safari and Mail. No problems at all!

I just got a Macbook Pro a few weeks ago and I love it.

I have Windows XP also running on it with Parallels and Bootcamp.

I use Firefox and Camino and Safari, (followed by Opera, Shiira, and Flock) for my browsers.
Firefox is the main one I go to when Safari acts up on a site. I listed the others in case the O.P. wanted to check them out.
I just finished downloading a RC for the Netscape Navigator 9. Haven't even installed it yet.

I use Thunderbird exclusively as my email client.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)