Manning vs Brady

"They won the SB against the Rams with great defense. Had the Rams scored as many points as they were all year, I am sorry, but Brady and the boys werent going to keep up."

RESPONSE: THE PATS TOOK A NICE LEAD IN THAT GAME AND WENT CONSERVATIVE. THE RAMS TIED WITH A MINUTE LEFT AND BRADY TOOK THE PATS DOWN FOR A SCORE. EXCUSE ME, BUT THE NINERS BEAT THE BENGALS IN TWO LOW SCORING SUPER BOWLS. ONE WAS A LAST MINUTE COMEBACK. IT DOESN'T TAINT JOE MONTANA THAT THE NINERS HAD A GREAT DEFENSE.

The other two were won in close games where Brady led them very well to great victories. I must say the score of the panthers game was very suprising. I remember going into that game thinking it would be a great defensive battle. The philly game was just great all around.

THE PANTERS WAS A HIGH SCORING GAME. BRADY KEPT UP.

And as for this year, you can attribute so much of what they are doing to moss and welker (not to mention there offensive line play). I dont want this to sound the wrong way so dont jump on me like im a brady hater or something, but with that supporting cast I can think of a few QB's in todays day and age alone that would put up those numbers.
p.s. there numbers have a lot to do with running up the score late in the game and going for it on 4th down whenever it comes to that. Not to mention the fact that the rarely run the ball, especially on the goal line.

A LOT OF ALL TIME GREAT QB'S HAVE HAD GREAT CASTS, MONTANA, MARINO, MANNING. SO FAR, BRADY'S NUMBERS ARE UNPRECEDENTED. I SAW EVERY GAME MARINO PLAYED IN 1984 AND MOST GAMES IN HIS CAREER.

THE PATS RARELY RUN THE BALL BECAUSE THEY DOMINATE WITH THE PASS LIKE MIAI DID WITH THE RUN IN THEIR SUPER BOWL YEARS (11 PASSES IN SB VII AND 8 IN SB VIII). THE PATS DO NOT NEED TO RUN BECAUSE THEIR PASSING ATTACK IS THAT GREAT. THEY ARE BREAKING A LOT OF ADAGES ABOUT NEEDING A GREAT RUNNING GAME.

MY ADMIRATION FOR NEW ENGLAND AND BRADY IS THAT I HAVE ONLY SEEN THEIR "LOOK" ON ONE OTHER TEAM. BY THAT, I MEAN THE DEMEANOR TO BE CONSISTENTLY DOMINANT, AND, IF NOT, TO PERSEVERE AND STILL WIN. THE COLTS GAME WAS SCARILY REMINISCENT OF THE MIAMI-MINNESOTA GAME IN 1972.

I WANT TO MAKE MYSELF CLEAR: I AM A DOLPHINS FAN AND I HOPE THEY DO NOT GO UNBEATEN. BUT THE PATS HAVE THE BEST CHANCE OF ANY TEAM I HAVE SEEN-- INCLUDING THE 15-1 NINERS AND BEARS TEAMS.

Ok really? What you are saying is taking what I said to another level. The rams that year had one of the best offenses in the last 2 decades and were scoring a LOT of points all season. The pats were up 14-3. Which means the rams werent scoring nearly as many points as they had all season. Did brady prevent that? no the defense did.

Yes in the panthers game they did "keep up", but that was one of those games where it was a totally unexpected outcome. Who didnt go into that game thinking it wouldnt 14-10. Apparently, both defenses stayed at home on that one.

I never said brady wasnt great. And, what, I need to be told that all great QB's had a great supporting cast. Read through this whole thread before you jump on me like im hating on brady.

And also, let me tell you something about some of those old teams you mention.

1) they ran the ball a LOT ( let me say that again A LOOOOOT) more than the patriots are now. Your usually going to score more points when all you do is pass.

2) You werent going to catch those teams running up the score. EVER!! Like the pats have been.

3) Those teams werent going for it on 4th down every chance they got even when they were up 42-7.

4) NONE of those teams had a) Randy Moss or b) an offensive line playing as well as NE is now.

YES, what brady and co. are doing is impressive and a great piece of history. Im happy for them. But at the same token, those other great teams, never tried to run up the score and almost all of the them (minus the dolphins) had a way more balanced attack.

So, yes bradys numbers are impressive. I never said they werent. But dont act like its because of brady. Where was he with these numbers without moss and welker and that O-line and trying to run up the score and never running the ball?

ANSWER: The same numbers every good/great QB puts up year to year.

You cant tell me their not purposely trying to run up the score and put up these numbers. What other team (including the dolphins and niners) ever did that?

Disagree

The Niners had Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Roger Craig.
Marino had Duper and Clayton and little running game.
The Colts had Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison.

I think it is even more remarkable that the Pats are winning despite the lack of a running game. When you cant run, you have to keep scoring.

I went to the Miami New England game-- 42-7 at the half. They pulled Brady, Miami closed to 49-21 and they then put Brady back in.

The only game one can argue they ran it up was Buffalo.

As for the Super Bowl against the Rams. we will never know if the Pats could have won a shoot out that day because they did not have to score with them. When the pressure was on to drive the ball, they did.

The Niners had Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Roger Craig.
Marino had Duper and Clayton and little running game.
The Colts had Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison.

I think it is even more remarkable that the Pats are winning despite the lack of a running game. When you cant run, you have to keep scoring.

I went to the Miami New England game-- 42-7 at the half. They pulled Brady, Miami closed to 49-21 and they then put Brady back in.

The only game one can argue they ran it up was Buffalo.

As for the Super Bowl against the Rams. we will never know if the Pats could have won a shoot out that day because they did not have to score with them. When the pressure was on to drive the ball, they did.

Are you serious? Putting your quarterback back in because you're only up by FOUR touchdowns against the worst team in the league? That's not the work of someone who's worried he's going to lose the game, it's the work of someone who's worried about the final score and/or margin of victory. He was pissed because the Dolphins had the nerve to not lay down and die.

Are you serious? Putting your quarterback back in because you're only up by FOUR touchdowns against the worst team in the league? That's not the work of someone who's worried he's going to lose the game, it's the work of someone who's worried about the final score and/or margin of victory. He was pissed because the Dolphins had the nerve to not lay down and die.

You got that right!:up I am telling right now, before the end of the year...Brady WILL GET HURT because of this bull****. If you are telling me he was just handing the ball off.....fine....but throwing??!!! There IS going to be a defensive linemen NOT HAPPY that this is happening and he WILL GO for the knees...and can you blame him....? I think Belijerk is the balme for this.

You got that right!:up I am telling right now, before the end of the year...Brady WILL GET HURT because of this bull****. If you are telling me he was just handing the ball off.....fine....but throwing??!!! There IS going to be a defensive linemen NOT HAPPY that this is happening and he WILL GO for the knees...and can you blame him....? I think Belijerk is the balme for this.

:rolleyes:
Sorry, that doesn't happen in this era of free agency.

You just hope it does.

Not their fault your team sucks.:river

You just hope it does.

What, exactly, doesn't happen? Teams running up the score (they are) or someone going after said team's QB because of it (they might)?

Maybe no one gets to him in the pocket on purpose, but you can't tell me that if he throws an INT in a game that he has no business throwing the ball in (out of reach late), every defensive player on the field won't be looking to lay him out on a "block."

And, considering my team is one bad play on defense and one missed field goal from being the ones that are undefeated, I'd hardly say they suck.

What, exactly, doesn't happen? Teams running up the score (they are) or someone going after said team's QB because of it (they might)?

Maybe no one gets to him in the pocket on purpose, but you can't tell me that if he throws an INT in a game that he has no business throwing the ball in (out of reach late), every defensive player on the field won't be looking to lay him out on a "block."

And, considering my team is one bad play on defense and one missed field goal from being the ones that are undefeated, I'd hardly say they suck.

I wasn't responding to you, because I don't believe the Colts suck. Pats & Colts will meet again in January, they are without any doubt the 2 best teams in the league. Matter of fact you know as well as I do the AFC championship game is going to be the REAL superbowl.

Brady has the best field awareness I have ever seen, he knows what to do in most every situation.

All comparisons aside, these guys both had GREAT games this week. I believe they were the best games either has played all year. I know Brady's stats weren't superhuman, but he played a solid game against an inspired team, and he did it without any circus catches by Randy Moss (although he did still have that wristband on :)). Some of the plays Manning called (and then executed) on third-and-longs against the Jags were just ridiculous.

You just hope it does.

YOU must be breathing that bad Martha's Vineyard air because I will ASSURE you that every team that has NO CHANCE of making the playoffs that plays the Patriots will have a bounty on Brady because they cannot have one Beli-jerk.

My team has nothing to do with the fact that Brady should not be throwing, when he is up by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter......NO QB should. Like I have said before, I would have no problem with him HANDING THE BALL OFF TO A RUNNING BACK.....but throwing?:rolleyes: The Pats are one chop tackle away from pissing off the playoffs...and have Brady throw play action passes in the 4th up by 28 improves those chances that much more.

Oh an by the way, MY team has won 3 Super Bowls....so though we have not won one in awhile, I am quite content with our Super Bowl history. Nice try changing the subject when you have no argument.....:up:rolleyes:

Salsa, why is it that you like the Raiders anyways?? Do you really like what Al Davis has done?

I started out as a huge Notre Dame fan and I LOVED Dave Casper. I met him and solidified that he was my fav player. He went to the Raiders and I LOVED the renagade Oakland Raiders and it just stuck. Al Davis has always wanted the team to be the way he coached. Al has ALWAYS tried to provide the best team he can without breaking the bank...his issues have ALWAYS been with the direction of the team....in other words, how the team is coached.

That's fair. I just never liked how he left L.A. high and dry. To his credit, he always seemed to be a player's owner. The only exception in my mind is how he handled (or mishandled) Marcus Allen.

I started out as a huge Notre Dame fan and I LOVED Dave Casper. I met him and solidified that he was my fav player. He went to the Raiders and I LOVED the renagade Oakland Raiders and it just stuck. Al Davis has always wanted the team to be the way he coached. Al has ALWAYS tried to provide the best team he can without breaking the bank...his issues have ALWAYS been with the direction of the team....in other words, how the team is coached.

That's fair. I just never liked how he left L.A. high and dry. To his credit, he always seemed to be a player's owner. The only exception in my mind is how he handled (or mishandled) Marcus Allen.

Well...LA and the Marcus deal was so weird and how bad it was handled by both Al and the NFL, that it lead to a lawsuit. Al KNEW he handled it wrong. Truth be told, his daughter really runs the organization, he is more of the face of the franchise....a scary one...but the face none the less.

Regardless who I am a fan of, I used to believe that Manning was the better commander. I felt he knew the offense inside and out and put his players in position to make plays.
Manning is still the better commander. He understands the game, commands it, creates it, executes it. They could fire the offensive coordinator and he would not miss a beat. Brady is just a "dumb" robot executing a play. It painfully obvious. Take away Moss and he is crap.

YOU must be breathing that bad Martha's Vineyard air because I will ASSURE you that every team that has NO CHANCE of making the playoffs that plays the Patriots will have a bounty on Brady because they cannot have one Beli-jerk.

My team has nothing to do with the fact that Brady should not be throwing, when he is up by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter......NO QB should. Like I have said before, I would have no problem with him HANDING THE BALL OFF TO A RUNNING BACK.....but throwing?:rolleyes: The Pats are one chop tackle away from pissing off the playoffs...and have Brady throw play action passes in the 4th up by 28 improves those chances that much more.

Oh an by the way, MY team has won 3 Super Bowls....so though we have not won one in awhile, I am quite content with our Super Bowl history. Nice try changing the subject when you have no argument.....:up:rolleyes:
:up:up:up

A typically uninformed and incorrect (and yes, completely hyperbolic) thought from a Pats fan.

Manning is not just playing with no weapons, he's playing with guys he's never played with before (at least at times), and an offensive line missing three starters. At least Brady had training camp and the entire season to get used to his second-tier recievers. And even this year, when Brady's been pressured, he looks just as ordinary as anyone else does in those circumstances. See the first 50 minutes of the Colts game and much of last night's game for proof.
And the Philly game, and the Ravens game and the first half of the cowboys game. Brady was nothing special.

Manning is still the better commander. He understands the game, commands it, creates it, executes it. They could fire the offensive coordinator and he would not miss a beat. Brady is just a "dumb" robot executing a play. It painfully obvious. Take away Moss and he is crap.

Seriously, you not that dumb are you?

Do you know this is 1st year Moss has played for the Patriots?

Are you serious?

He lead game winning drives in the last 2 games.

Dallas game.

31/46 388 5TD's

MORON!

You guys need to realize that some of this is just Vurbano being Vurbano (I can't believe I'm the one saying that for once....), but his point and mine was that Brady is no different than anyone else, including Manning. If you get pressure on him, he becomes very ordinary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts