MASN

mike11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
All the discussion of part time rsn hd broadcasts has me wondering, is MASN the only rsn on dish that is still 100 percent sd and if so I wonder why that is? I understand and fully support the people that want all their games in hd, but for the MASN crowd at this point I think we'd be thrilled with part time. Maybe Charlie hates Orioles ownership as much as most fans.

You can blame Yes, SNY, MASN, MSG, ex on the networks. Why is it that there are so many others to blame when there is one provider that consistently has issue with all of these others? Should the common factor in this be the one to blame?

You can blame Yes, SNY, MASN, MSG, ex on the networks. Why is it that there are so many others to blame when there is one provider that consistently has issue with all of these others? Should the common factor in this be the one to blame?
In the case of MASN, it is purely Peter Angelos. Here is what he did to the Ravens.
According to WNST, the Ravens wanted to continue the terms of their recent deal with MASN, where the channel provided a rights fee for pre- and post-game shows, the weekly coaches show and preseason games.

The radio station reported that the sides reached a verbal agreement in April -- with plans to sign a contract in late spring -- with the Ravens agreeing to better and additional signage for MASN in M&T Bank Stadium, as well as better fiber-optic wiring in the press rooms for improved quality production.

However, according to the station, Angelos, who has attracted a reputation in Baltimore for meddling with his baseball management, objected to having to pay a rights fee for programming if it wasn't all live.

MASN officials then went back to the Ravens with an offer with "a greatly reduced rights fee" as well as the ability to rerun Ravens programming without additionally compensating the team, which produces all of its preseason games and shows, WNST reported.
I can just imagine what he is demanding for the HD rights to the O's and Nat's.

Based on what I have been told by MASN, the HD feeds are available (for free) to Dish - the problem is transponder space. What doesn't make sense to me is, I was under the impression that the Eastern Arc (where these channels belong) has plenty of room - the problem is the Western Arc. I don't understand why they can't just add the HD feeds to Eastern Arc until the Western Arc gets some more room (via satellite launches or hardware upgrades like MP4).

Based on what I have been told by MASN, the HD feeds are available (for free) to Dish - the problem is transponder space. What doesn't make sense to me is, I was under the impression that the Eastern Arc (where these channels belong) has plenty of room - the problem is the Western Arc. I don't understand why they can't just add the HD feeds to Eastern Arc until the Western Arc gets some more room (via satellite launches or hardware upgrades like MP4).
The Balt/Wash area is on the EA. Why would it be necessary to add to WA? For those that want it in HD, they would have to convert to EA. E* is already in the process of doing the conversions here. I really don't believe that Angelos would give anything away for free. As the Ravens found out, the final decisions regarding MASN deals are with Angelos.

Thanks to everyone who's weighed in so far. Good point about big Pete, if I have to wait for he and Charlie to come to an agreement it's probably not going to happen as neither of these guys will give an inch. The customers will be cast aside in this giant battle of egos I'm afraid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts