Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
A Mexican landlord that I've been working with was thinking about getting DTV in his massive home. He has cable now on 11+ TVs. I've been switching all his tenants to satellite. He doesn't have a SSN, so he'd probably have to buy all the boxes himself or get someone else who lives with him to have the account. My question is, how many boxes does Directv allow? I've only ever seen six room systems...

Yes, and a swm32 handles 32, or you can use two swm16s.

No, you can use four SWM 16s easily with four, 4-way power passing splitters. Heck, you could probably drop four 6x8s off the four SWM16s if you wanted more legacy ports. Even more with polarity lockers, amps, and more splitters.

So DirecTV places no IRD limits on residential accounts. Good to know. Thanks.

No, you can use four SWM 16s easily with four, 4-way power passing splitters. Heck, you could probably drop four 6x8s off the four SWM16s if you wanted more legacy ports. Even more with polarity lockers, amps, and more splitters.

So DirecTV places no IRD limits on residential accounts. Good to know. Thanks.
Within reason ....

I'm sure IF you have 16 recvrs for example, they may check in on you often to see that your not sharing them with friends and family.

Reactions: ZandarKoad
Actually back in the day of legacy and pre swm. It was 64 tuners per dish. I know you can chain 4 swm16s. Using a e4 expander. That's 64 again though. But like Zander said using polarity lockers amps and legacy ports you can probably use more.

well when i lived in the apartment they ran 94 units off of a simple 5LNB and 95W dish with a horrible array of splitters, boosters and SWM8's....and each tenant could have up to 4 receivers in their unit

Actually back in the day of legacy and pre swm. It was 64 tuners per dish. I know you can chain 4 swm16s. Using a e4 expander. That's 64 again though. But like Zander said using polarity lockers amps and legacy ports you can probably use more.

Last training I did, the E4 has supposedly been "retired" in favor of just polarity locking with power passing splitters. Not saying they're unavailable by any means, but it isn't too hard to use a 4-way on every port off the LNB in to four SWM32s for 128 tuners :p. I don't know if you could split any further than that due to db-loss, unless it was a short run. I will probably never know, because I've never even had a need for a single SWM32.

Last training I did, the E4 has supposedly been "retired" in favor of just polarity locking with power passing splitters. Not saying they're unavailable by any means, but it isn't too hard to use a 4-way on every port off the LNB in to four SWM32s for 128 tuners :p. I don't know if you could split any further than that due to db-loss, unless it was a short run. I will probably never know, because I've never even had a need for a single SWM32.
I've installed 3 in 2years... but I'm not sure the 4ways will work because a swm32 requires a polarity locker just to boot up.

I've installed 3 in 2years... but I'm not sure the 4ways will work because a swm32 requires a polarity locker just to boot up.

Oh yeah, you're right. I assume I'll never install one of these things due to the sheer cost. Let's assume 64 tuners on four SWM16s by polarity locking splitters.

Oh yeah, you're right. I assume I'll never install one of these things due to the sheer cost. Let's assume 64 tuners on four SWM16s by polarity locking splitters.
I'm inhouse so I don't get much of a choice since I'm one of the top com techs.. but it was awesome when I had to explain to our warehouse manager that 32s need polarity lockers. I told him never mind I'll use an e1... he's like wait what??

I activated an account last year with a genie, 5 clients and 11 HD boxes.

Now that's some serious TV watching!. Actually that sounds like a good idea, never have to worry about a recording conflict.

Sure you do.. with that setup you can still only record 5 things at once and mrv would be a nightmare lol..

IF Claude is saying a Genie + 5 clients, PLUS 11 addl. HD boxes If these were HR's, you'd be hard pressed to have a conflict.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)