Maybe New Software Update in May

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I got news that the new OTA scanning ability might be implemented in mid-May...I sure hope it's soon! I sure hope they address some of the bugs too!

"Scanning is in the next release which, at the moment, is looking like mid-May.
Wilt"

:shocked

Yeah, I need the scanning so I can tune NBC. My local is giving me hideous multipathing and won't lock, so I need to tune the Springfield one.

How is scanning going to work?

Hi:
I don't understand how scanning is going to work. I have a large directional antenna with a rotor and I need to rotate the antenna back and forth to get all of my mapped channels. Will I need to scan at each antenna position to get all of my channels mapped? Also, how is the Program Guide going to know which channels I have mapped? I think one of the main advantages of VOOM is that it integrates both the OTA and Sat signal into one comprehensive guide. I don't mind the current system where you call VOOM to have a channel added to your mapping as you really only need to do it once. It would be nice if you could make the request via their web site and if you could have channels deleted from your map as well.
Sincerely,
Joseph

jnardone,

once you scan your channels, it will stay on your PG. You can always delete or add them to your PG. You can still your rotor the same way. The manual scan just provide a way to add or delete channels over the air that are near you. Much better than the current system of mapping.

jnardone said:
Hi:
I don't mind the current system where you call VOOM to have a channel added to your mapping as you really only need to do it once.

Except that sometimes it just doesn't get added. I'm still waiting foe my WB to be added to the map -- self-scanning will make this much easier.

Sean Mota said:
Much better than the current system of mapping.

More like "INSANELY better than the current system of mapping."

Look how big the "OTA problems" thread is. Voom should have had scanning from the get-go. It is nice that this is coming sooner rather than later though. I'll finally have KNWS, which is like the WGN of the Houston area. :)

Scanning

Hi:
I see, but how is the Program Guide going to know which channels you have self-mapped? Does it download the info for all available stations in the US and only display the ones mapped on your box?
Joseph

jnardone said:
Hi:
I see, but how is the Program Guide going to know which channels you have self-mapped? Does it download the info for all available stations in the US and only display the ones mapped on your box?
Joseph

Yeah that might be a two part problem. One is the manual scannig. Once in place the PG might not have the PG information for those stations not mapped in software to your zipcode. They stil might need to continue mapping those stations which I think is easier because is just PG data and not related to the actual tunning of the channel.

Since they pull their guide data from Zap2It, it should be relatively simple to populate the distant locals data. The Zap2It guide includes channels that are a LONG way away from me as local.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)