Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

Wrong! No news is not good news when the stations are blacked out.
Now that the FCC denied Dishs request to block the merger between Young and Media General things should get real nasty.
Will Young Broadcastings 10 channels be blacked out any day now that they are also Media General?

This is my concern...things will get even worse and the stations will be off the air even longer. We are only a few weeks away from it being 60 days off the air. I never imagined stations would be off the air almost the entire fall season so far.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've about had it with this dispute. Almost 60 days without CBS and CW with no end in site! My contract with Dish is coming to an end and I'll look at another provider if this isn't over by the first of the year. I know all providers have these disputes but Dish seems to drag these out and the viewers are caught in the middle. Joe Clayton had an interview in Dish magazine and said that the customer is priority #1....I think NOT!!!

So is the dispute solely over money, or could it also involve AutoHop? I say that because it has come out that the sticking point over a new deal with Disney/ESPN/ABC is AutoHop (Dish loves it, Disney wants it gone).

It wouldn't suprise me if AutoHop becomes a hot issue in every local negotiation from here on in, esp. if Dish caves in to Disney and disables AutoHop for the ABC channels.

It's ironic that Charlie thought he could use auto hop feature as a threat, in order to get a better negotiated retransmission agreement from local channels. Instead the networks are all trying to get more money from him, because the auto hop feature cuts in to their advertisement revenue. Add to that the never ending lawsuits from all 4 major networks over auto hop and you can see how this idea backfired on Charlie as a positive negotiating tool .

Autohop doesn't matter if they can't settle this dispute. 18 markets & 1 1/2 months in with no end in sight. Right now many are lining up for the genie, not the hopper.

Autohop doesn't matter if they can't settle this dispute. 18 markets & 1 1/2 months in with no end in sight. Right now many are lining up for the genie, not the hopper.

This is no joke. At our local costco D* has patterned with them to offer the genie and some subsidized programming packages along with $200 in Costco cash card for signing up. He mentioned he has signed up quite a few people that were sick of losing their NBC channel here. Not sure what his numbers were but he always has someone signing a contract when I'm in there.

Media General and DISH Reach Retransmission Consent Agreement

RICHMOND, Va. and ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Media General, Inc. (NYSE: MEG) and DISH Network L.L.C., a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that they have reached an agreement for carriage of Media General's television stations in 17 markets. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Media General stations in the following markets will be available to Dish subscribers effective today: Augusta, Ga.; Birmingham, Ala.; Charleston, S.C.; Columbus, Ga.; Columbus, Ohio; Greenville, N.C.; Greenville/Spartanburg, S.C.; Hattiesburg, Miss.; Jackson, Miss.; Mobile, Ala./Pensacola, Fla.; Florence/Myrtle Beach, S.C.; Providence, R.I.; Raleigh/Durham, N.C.; Roanoke/Lynchburg, Va.; Savannah, Ga.; Tampa/St. Petersburg, Fla. and Tri-Cities, Tenn./Va.
About Media General
Media General, Inc. is a leading local television broadcasting and digital media company, providing top-rated news, information and entertainment in strong markets across the U.S. The company owns or operates 31 network-affiliated broadcast television stations and their associated digital media and mobile platforms, in 28 markets. These stations reach 16.5 million, or 14%, of U.S. TV households. Their network affiliations include CBS (12), NBC (9), ABC (7), Fox (1), MyNetwork TV (1) and CW (1). Sixteen of the 31 stations are located in the top 75 designated market areas. Media General first entered the local television business in 1955 when it launched WFLA in Tampa, Florida as an NBC affiliate. The company subsequently expanded its station portfolio through acquisition. In November of 2013, Media General and Young Broadcasting merged, combining Media General's 18 stations and Young's 13 stations into the 31-member group that exists today. Five of the stations have been on the air since 1949: WCMH in Columbus, Ohio; WVTM in Birmingham, Alabama; WJAR in Providence, Rhode, Island; KWQC in Davenport, Iowa; and KRON in San Francisco.
Contact Media General
Media General maintains extensive company information on its website www.mediageneral.com. The company's media and investor contact is Lou Anne J. Nabhan, Vice President-Corporate Communications, lnabhan@mediageneral.com or 804-887-5120.
About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.049 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.
DISH Media Contact
720-514-5351
news@dish.com
@DISHNews
SOURCE Media General, Inc.

RELATED LINKS
http://www.mediageneral.com

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...transmission-consent-agreement-232204061.html

So happy my local NBC (Columbus) is back!!! Just in time for SNL tonight and a huge Sunday Night Football game tomorrow!!

I wonder how long until guide info is updated?

So happy my local NBC (Columbus) is back!!! Just in time for SNL tonight and a huge Sunday Night Football game tomorrow!!

I wonder how long until guide info is updated?

My Hopper already has the guide data. If you are on a ViP receiver you can run a check switch to update the guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)