Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

I would set a manual timer for the ota channel just to be sure.That way no matter what happens,your show will be there.

Can you guys mention what you would recommend to get for OTA stuff just so I have it in case I decide to use it or this lasts a while? Something on Amazon maybe?

Can you guys mention what you would recommend to get for OTA stuff just so I have it in case I decide to use it or this lasts a while? Something on Amazon maybe?

Do you mean antennas?ota adapters or what?

I'm guessing you don't have the ota usb adapter for your hopper?If not that would be the first thing you would need,the second would be an antenna,that can vary wildly,depending on you area,and where the tv towers are.

I would recommend getting a report from tvfool.That will help determine what type of antenna you will need.

http://www.tvfool.com/

The broadcasters have a very powerful voice in DC and thus the laws cover them. The public would be better served if the market place was free to respond as it saw fit. Thus a NBC station that wanted to hold out for a better contract would have to know that the NBC programming might come in from another source and they would have to chose to let that happen or agree to a contract. I can see why their OTA contract to cover an area should be protected, but if they don't provide a OTA signal and won't agree with a cable/satellite provider to rebroadcast the programming, the cable/satelite should be free to provide that programming for another source.
Aside from the law, there's another reason this can't happen... affiliate contracts with syndicators & ad companies only allow their content to be shown in certain DMAs. Yes, there are some cable markets that have two NBC channels (for example), but I'm fairly confident those markets are on the border of two DMAs, and the affiliate contracts have language allowing it.

?If affiliates were smart, as they renew the contracts, they'd get streaming rights and live stream 24/7.

Scott, is this thread front page worthy? I would think there are a few less informed people trying to get more info on why they can't see their station.

Since no one has posted the full list of stations, here it is:

WFLA-NBC, Tampa
DMA Rank - 14

WNCN-NBC, Raleigh/Durham
DMA Rank - 24

WCMH-NBC, Columbus
DMA Rank - 32

WYCW-CW, Asheville
DMA Rank - 37

WSPA-CBS, Greenville/Spartanburg
DMA Rank - 37

WVTM-NBC, Birmingham
DMA Rank - 44

WJAR-NBC, Providence, RI/New Bedford, MA
DMA Rank - 53

WKRG-CBS, Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL
DMA Rank - 59

WSLS-NBC, Roanoke/Lynchburg
DMA Rank - 66

WSAV-NBC, Savannah
DMA Rank - 92

WJTV-CBS, Jackson
DMA Rank - 94

WCBD-NBC, Charleston
DMA Rank - 95

WJHL-CBS, Tri-Cities, TN-VA
DMA Rank - 97

WNCT-CBS, Greenville
DMA Rank - 99

WBTW-CBS, Florence/Myrtle Beach
DMA Rank - 102

WJBF-ABC, Augusta
DMA Rank - 112

WRBL-CBS, Columbus
DMA Rank - 126

WHLT-CBS, Hattiesburg
DMA Rank - 167

Almost all have a sub-channel.

Source: http://www.mediageneral.com/properties/television.html

The good thing is, they can't block any Dish viewers from viewing the shows on Hulu or their websites like they did with Time Warner.

Our NBC station is still down too. I did get a OTA tunner for one of our Hoppers. That way we can do a manual recording and still DVR The Blacklist.

Last edited:
Well this was nice of them..

ATTENTION DISH CUSTOMERS - In order to provide important weather coverage of Tropical Storm Karen, our parent company, Media General, has worked out a deal with DISH to restore coverage of WKRG until the threat has passed.

We will once again air on DISH beginning Saturday, October 5 at 6:00 AM and will continue to be carried until Monday, October 7 at 12:01 AM.

We're continuing our negotiations with DISH for the days following, but our first and foremost priority is your safety!

DISH to Restore Media General Stations Ahead of Tropical Storm Karen; Broadcaster Grants Temporary Permission

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--This morning, DISH (NASDAQ:DISH) requested permission from Media General to restore its stations as Tropical Storm Karen is approaching the Gulf Coast. Media General has granted temporary permission in four markets through midnight Sunday night.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Additional info for station temporarily restored

Since Scott didnt post which stations would be restored temporarily those are:

Saturday, October 5 at 6:00 AM until Monday, October 7 at 12:01 AM
WJTV / Jackson, Miss.
WHLT / Hattiesburg, Miss.
WKRG / Mobile, Ala.
WVTM / Birmingham, Ala.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)