Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

MG NBC back online here. The tropical storm probably won't affect us much at all though.

Saw Clayton on there last night. I thought that was at least a little better than the slate.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

In this dma Tri-Cities, TN-VA many people are extremely disgusted with both Dish & MG.

To top it off the TN/GA game today was on the blacked out channel from MG, just terrible timing.

The continuous loop of Clayton where the game should of have been didn't help either.

I hope they get this settled sooner than later.

And we're back in the dark on the local MG NBC. Clayton's back on there. Glad I have OTA! That's one thing I love about Dish's receivers.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Not much new 'news' in the arm wrestle...
I watched the vid blip of the DISH CEO: it was unenlightening at best, self-parody at worst.

Couldn't locate any hard numbers on what MG wants vs what DISH was paying.
This continual tug of war of Networks/broadcast groups vs the Sats and Cable Companies is a PIA.

No OTA here, and doubt it would work with our mountain situ/lack of line of sight.

Wonder if DISH will give 'credit'/reduce monthly bill? :rolleyes:
GL, mD

They almost always will give something like a 6 month credit more than the cost of the one or two channels.

I'm waiting on the outcome of the ESPN/ABC/Disney deal before complaining as my ABC would be one of the O&O affected stations if that goes sideways in the negotiations. Having half of my PTAT functionality (not to mention ESPN gone potentially) taken away is worse then just 25% so waiting for more chips to fall in my favor.

They almost always will give something like a 6 month credit more than the cost of the one or two channels.

What do you do, just call or chat with them and complain about it? I've held off saying anything about it yet, but I'm going to.

Yes, call and tell them you usually watch the channel(s) and you are upset they are missing. When the CSR tells you whatever reason DISH is doing it, just tell them it doesn't help missing the shows and can they give you a credit for awhile. The least very likely will be $5 a month, could be more. If you want to try a premium movie channel or something now would be the time to ask for a free month or 1/2 price for a few months....

I guess I would not agree. I can get CBS programming (in my case) a day or so later directly by streaming from the network. Their local news and weather is good, but not so good that I can not watch one of the other newscasts .MG is in danger of viewers watching the other local newscasts and not coming back to them after they all agree to some deal.

Without the laws of the country being in the broadcastes favor, due to major broadcasting lobby, Media General would be faced the requirement of providing a product programming that viewers want to watch and giving them a means of getting the broadcast by OTA, Cable, or Satellite. Cable and Satellie companies provide a real service to them. Otherwise they would have to provide translators across their DMA reach these viewers at a cost of many $.

I support E in this dispute.

Who blinks first?
I blinked first. Got the OTA adapter for hopper and made my home made coat hanger antenna. Added a $25 signal booster from Wal Mart and now I could not care less if Dish ever settles with Media General. Plus when the weather gets bad I can watch all local network channels. If there was some way I could change the color of the OTA channel labels in the guide. Mustard yellow? really dish.

Well, I have to say that Dish has made me a happy customer. I just did the chat like someone suggested earlier to complain about the entire situation. I started by just letting them know I JUST signed up, I wasn't happy, and asked what they could do. They first offered $5 off for three months, but that wont help me. I then told them that what they should do is send everyone affected by this the OTA module for free so they can at least get the channels that way. Once I mentioned that, the CSR transferred the chat to a supervisor or something. Long story short they, to my amazement, agreed to send me the OTA module at no charge with virtually no struggle at all.

Even though this dispute has me ticked off, they at least did right by me.

Local CBS is encouraging everyone to "drop" Dish on Facebook.

Same here. How childish...

g6Ynr7I.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)