Status
Please reply by conversation.

Xevious2K

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Guilford, CT
Hello All,

So I've been playing around with my 120cm Fortec Star dish and a c-band lnb with mixed results. I'm now thinking of a bigger dish somewhere in the 6 to 8 foot range. Can someone make a reccomendation as to what is a better dish to get, Mesh or Solid? and Why?

PS, This is for DVB, not analog.

Thanks,

(IMO) Always best with mesh, then you can see the size of the holes, if a pencil passes through the mesh then it will NOT work well for KU-Band.

With a solid dish there is no way to see the mesh size and they are prone to warping!

You will get best results using a solid dish like the Patriots:
http://www.global-cm.net/satantennaSolidprime.html
http://www.rpssat.com/satellitedishes/index.html

The 3.1 meter Patriot and the 3.8 meter are some of the best dishes I have ever seen, great for there sizes.

If you want super c/ku then a solid is best, if you want great C-band and ok Ku-band then a mesh like the Sami or any non warped dish with micro mesh will be fine, I myself want the Patriot 3.8 meter.

You do not want to go below 8.5' for C-band 4dtv or dvb, and I would personally not go below 10' solid or mesh.

PSB said:
(IMO) Always best with mesh, then you can see the size of the holes, if a pencil passes through the mesh then it will NOT work well for KU-Band.

With a solid dish there is no way to see the mesh size and they are prone to warping!

Yes when it come to solid fiberglass dishes I would stay away.

The Patriot is expensive compaired to the Fortec 240cm (Sadoun ~$250), that I had in mind and the Sami is ~$600. The main drawback to the Fortec is that there is no Polar mount available, (unless someone knows of a polar mount that will fit the Fortec?).

I don't know that I am interested in 4dtv yet, I haven't got that far. but I'm sure I should plan to add it at some time.

When I'm 100% operational I'd like to compare my 5' mesh's performance to the other baby buds. I'm flat out amazed how well this little Winegard is performing for me.

Now I've got the uber LNBs ready to go on. This should help matters too :cool:.

If it were readily available, I'd have gone for a 10 foot mesh which I know my neighbors would have loved - lol. I really want to go with 4DTV down the road and I know my dish is under-sized for the task. If I can make it work with my 5' dish I'm going to be one happy guy :).

Well If you compare a Fortec 1.2 meter to a Patriot 1.2 meter, the Patriot will win hands down in performance, Patriot makes very good antennas, Fortec seems to have a problem with there surface accuracy, I just put up a 1.2 meter Fortec, but will be getting the Patriot 1.1 meter I would go for the 1.2 but my Stab would not be able to move it.

Just letting you know that if you do go solid it would be best to grab a Patriot, though depending on how much you are into feed hunting and what you are after, for most the lower grade antennas live up to what is expected.

I've had this baby for over 20 years. Solid aluminum, no :no warpage here. If you are going to go BIG, it's worth a few extra bucks to get analog and 4DTV. You won't regret it. :yes

Attachments

• Dsc00210.jpg
    Dsc00210.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 774
  • Dsc00212.jpg
    Dsc00212.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 648
Reactions: martin-f and wvman
Xevious2K said:
Hello All,

So I've been playing around with my 120cm Fortec Star dish and a c-band lnb with mixed results. I'm now thinking of a bigger dish somewhere in the 6 to 8 foot range. Can someone make a reccomendation as to what is a better dish to get, Mesh or Solid? and Why?

PS, This is for DVB, not analog.

Thanks,
I would look around for a Birdview 8.5' spun alluminum solid if you want a dish
around 8', it is awesome on KU and not bad on C, my 10' mesh is a hair better on C-band signals but the birdview trounces the mesh dish on KU feeds.
They are white with six alluminum rods that hold the scaler ring and seem to be quite common in my area, if it has not been modified you may have to bore out the scaler ring a hair to add a C/KU feed and skyvision sells a magnet wheel kit to update the sensor, most of these dishes have H-H mounts. If you find one take the pole it is 6" and hard to find at a decent price.

I've had this baby for over 20 years. Solid aluminum, no :no warpage here. If you are going to go BIG, it's worth a few extra bucks to get analog and 4DTV. You won't regret it. :yes

I'd love to have one of those, but there weren't many of them sold in this area. Been looking for years trying to find one hidden up a holler that I missed. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)