microHD Repeatedly Rebooting After .udf Upload

Here's a link for a converter, and the seller is in the USA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150838663524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just ordered one myself, just in case...

Please note if looking for these, there is a 5-wire 3.3v AND 5 volt dual version, and also a 3.3 volt OR 5 volt ONLY version. There is also 3 wire versions, and it appears that we need the 5 volt 4-wire version (or the dual one above) for the MicroHD receiver when it gets a bad firmware flash.

Hi Babadem. Seems like we are both in the same boat -- mine worked fine for 18 hours or so after the firmware upgrade...and yes, I also tried to upload my user .udf files. However, when I did that, it didn't look as if it loaded correctly (first time that's happened since I've been using the microHD ALI editor), so I just reloaded the default back onto it. But mine didn't stop working right away. It worked without a hitch the rest of the evening and the next day...even scanned several sats. After I blindscanned 127W, the screen froze and the cycling started. Most of the time, all it shows is the boot logo before cycling off and on again. About 5% of the time, it would show an info screen for Guatemala 27 at the bottom, but no picture and no access at all to anything...I have to unplug it, and when I plug it back up, the endless cycle continues.

I've ordered the converter, but it seems like the 3.3v is coming to me instead of the 5v :( Let me know when you get yours working again :)

Hi Babadem. Seems like we are both in the same boat -- mine worked fine for 18 hours or so after the firmware upgrade...and yes, I also tried to upload my user .udf files. However, when I did that, it didn't look as if it loaded correctly (first time that's happened since I've been using the microHD ALI editor), so I just reloaded the default back onto it. But mine didn't stop working right away. It worked without a hitch the rest of the evening and the next day...even scanned several sats. After I blindscanned 127W, the screen froze and the cycling started. Most of the time, all it shows is the boot logo before cycling off and on again. About 5% of the time, it would show an info screen for Guatemala 27 at the bottom, but no picture and no access at all to anything...I have to unplug it, and when I plug it back up, the endless cycle continues.

I've ordered the converter, but it seems like the 3.3v is coming to me instead of the 5v :( Let me know when you get yours working again :)

My cable is coming from Hong Kong(4pin, 5V). It should be here in the next few days. I will update with progress later.

Last edited:
Hi y'all. I'm new here, been lurking for a long time. Just bought a MicroHD, got it yesterday, hooked it up, loaded in the newest firmware, and off I went. Everything was beautiful, I was scanning sats, uSALS was working beautiful. But, then, several hours later, it started to do this repeated booting, flash screen for an instant, over and over again.
So, if it's a corrupted file, it has to be in the newest firmware, because that's the only thing I loaded in it. I can upload my copy if that would help. But I'm a little frustrated, sitting here with this new toy that I saw working so beautifully, and now I have to track down a special cable.
I would suggest, if possible, to add some kind of a reset function, combination of actions, whatever, to help with this for future purchasers of this unit.

Thanks for a great forum, and a great product.

If the STB operated normally for a few hours then started power cycling without any additional file loads, it is not related to the firmware loading or loading a corrupt channel list. Have you tried disconnecting the coax cable from the SAT IN port to see if power cycling stops?

Did you load a channel list or only the firmware update? Was the STB Factory Reset and power cycled after loading the firmware?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my problem was exactly the same as tekjunkie02 describes. Mine happened after the 8/29 update, and not instantly. I did, however, try to load my own channel list with the microHD ALI Editor, as I have done for weeks...noticed a strange problem where it listed my satellites as 1/25, 2/25, 3/25 (etc.), so immediately reflashed with the factory default. I power cycled each time. Worked as normal for half a day or so, then suddenly went into the continuous cycle. I had disconnected the coax and reconnected. Even disconnected the entire STB for a whole day to see if the problem was still there...and it is. OK, sorry for hijacking, but thought my comment could be useful here too :) Back to tekjunkie02...

If the STB operated normally for a few hours then started power cycling without any additional file loads, it is not related to the firmware loading or loading a corrupt channel list. Have you tried disconnecting the coax cable from the SAT IN port to see if power cycling stops?

Did you load a channel list or only the firmware update? Was the STB Factory Reset and power cycled after loading the firmware?

I did try disconnecting the coax, and power cycling the unit several times, nothing worked. It powers off(led goes red), then back on(green), screen stays black, the the logo screen comes up for a moment,goes black again, and starts all over... whole cycle takes maybe 10-12 seconds or so. Tried again this morning, no difference.
When I hooked it up, I first backed up all the files to a Thumb drive. Then I loaded the GSPMHD_0.11_08292012.abs file on the drive as the only file in root, the others I put in a sub-folder. Did the allcode update, rebooted and did a factory set. Probably powered it off and back on a few times after that while using it normally, with no problems.

Hope that helps you. I don't know at this point if I should ask for a replacement unit, or wait for the cable to arrive. I know it was working good, so I think I'll just wait for the cable.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my problem was exactly the same as tekjunkie02 describes. Mine happened after the 8/29 update, and not instantly. I did, however, try to load my own channel list with the microHD ALI Editor, as I have done for weeks...noticed a strange problem where it listed my satellites as 1/25, 2/25, 3/25 (etc.), so immediately reflashed with the factory default. I power cycled each time. Worked as normal for half a day or so, then suddenly went into the continuous cycle. I had disconnected the coax and reconnected. Even disconnected the entire STB for a whole day to see if the problem was still there...and it is. OK, sorry for hijacking, but thought my comment could be useful here too :) Back to tekjunkie02...

Hey northgeorgia, northflorida here..LOL!
Thank you for your post. I believe it has to be something other than just loading the .udf file, and your experience seems to agree.
wish it had a reset button though :)

NO Luck

The 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable came in yesterday. I had to strip off one of the cable ends of the plastic cover for the pins to fit into the serial port of the MicroHD. Without this the 4pins wouldn't have fitted. After I downloaded and installed the Drivers for the 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable, I then followed the steps to flash the MicroHD using the latest file, and the Geosat Pro editor. After the upload, I unplugged the 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable from the MicroHD, I then reconnected the power cable, but the reboot loop still continues. :(

Should the power indicator button be on (green) when the 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable is connected to MicroHD and PC, even though the power cable hasn't been connected to the Micro HD? Mine was!

I will give the update another try later when I get back home.

Last edited:
What version of Windows are you using? Did you download the drivers from the Prolific web site? After installing them, I'd do a reboot. Did you double-check what Com port shows up for this device? Most issues like this almost always involve the selection of the wrong com port. Did you get any indication it was connected and downloaded the software?

I'd also disconnect my pc from the internet (turn off wireless, or disconnect any ethernet cable), shut down all but the editor program, and turn OFF any firewall AND your anti-virus software for during the flash.

Post the auction for the exact device you purchased, so we can avoid that one right now until we know for sure.

P.S. I also wouldn't trust the color of the wires coming from your board. Verify what each one is. Hopefully the header on the board is labeled.

Last edited:
I just got my cable today, and I am sad to report the exact same issue. The computer shows that it downloaded the new firmware into the STB, but the cycling continues. I'll try to try some other things when I have a little more time, but preliminary results seem to indicate this is not a fix for the machine. :(

Last edited:
I just got my cable today, and I am sad to report the exact same issue.... the recycling continues. The computer shows that it downloaded the new firmware, but the cycling continues. I'll try to try some other things when I have a little more time, but preliminary results seem to indicate this is not a fix for the machine. :(

What if you go through all the same steps, EXCEPT just push a different .udf file to your receiver? Maybe one of the ones posted by another user?

Here's some to choose from: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/291275-Share-or-Download-User-Data-Base-Files-udf

What version of Windows are you using? Did you download the drivers from the Prolific web site? After installing them, I'd do a reboot. Did you double-check what Com port shows up for this device? Most issues like this almost always involve the selection of the wrong com port. Did you get any indication it was connected and downloaded the software?

I'd also disconnect my pc from the internet (turn off wireless, or disconnect any ethernet cable), shut down all but the editor program, and turn OFF any firewall AND your anti-virus software for during the flash.

Post the auction for the exact device you purchased, so we can avoid that one right now until we know for sure.

P.S. I also wouldn't trust the color of the wires coming from your board. Verify what each one is. Hopefully the header on the board is labeled.
I used Windows XP Pro, and yes I downloaded from Prolific web site. COM port 5 was Identified in the device manager of Win XP as belonging to Prolific USB Serial or something of that nature.

I will follow the steps you mentioned below when I next try the firmware update.

There are no wires coming from the board, just only a 4 pin port surrounded by a very small rectangular white plastic.

One question. If conecting the MicroHD to the PC via the USB to Serial Cable, powers up the receiver, why do we need to plug in the power supply into the MicroHD when flashing the unit?

One question. If conecting the MicroHD to the PC via the USB to Serial Cable, powers up the receiver, why do we need to plug in the power supply into the MicroHD when flashing the unit?

I don't know, maybe try without connecting the power supply? I'm sure Brian will chime in eventually. Try uploading JUST a .udf file now, as I suggested above.

In my case no "UDF" files involved yet. I just trying to install the latest firmware so that the receiver can stop continuously rebooting.

That may be true, however just the firmware push didn't work. Since in some cases people mentioned that the rebooting came after they played with their .udf file, perhaps a corrupted .udf file caused the reboots. It therefore follows that maybe a good .udf file will stop the reboots..

That may be true, however just the firmware push didn't work. Since in some cases people mentioned that the rebooting came after they played with their .udf file, perhaps a corrupted .udf file caused the reboots. It therefore follows that maybe a good .udf file will stop the reboots..
That was the case with me. I will account for that when I tried the update next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)