microHD Repeatedly Rebooting After .udf Upload

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Finally!!! It's Alive! It has Risen! It came back to Life! :happydance:

In the Geosat-Editor folder I added "LZMA.EXE" file, (this fixed the missing LZMA.exe error)which I got from my openbox editor folder. I then loaded the good posted .udf file using the Geosat-Editor.:D

Can you provide more info? What version Windows, which TTL board you are using (oh yeah, you said you were using the dual 3.3 and 5v one) etc, what you tried, at what step the error message comes up, everything you can think of. Check your jumper connections for continuity between usb board and MicroHD board

I first tried on my laptop, running Windows 7. After numerous tries, I tried on the desktop, running XP SP3, still no luck. Couple of questions;
Is/has anyone else used this same cable (you posted the link to it in post# 22)?
Does the Micro's power supply need to be connected when doing this? Does it matter one way or the other?

It seems as though I'm having serial port issues. Which version of the prolific drivers have been used? I'm using the latest of the 2 that are listed at the site. Maybe I'll try the other one?
Can I do this in Linux? Prolific has Linux "drivers" on their site.

With the laptop, I needed to connect the micros power supply before windows picked up the Prolific com port. The desktop picked it up without the 12v supply connected (maybe the desktop USB connectors have more power available?)

When I selected the Prolific com port number shown in device manager, the editor failed to test the port. Happened with both laptop and desktop.

Are there any locations on the micro's PCB that I can test the continuity through the cable when plugged in? Should I remove the PCB from the base and check continuity from the underside?

FYI, I am a retired electronics technician, and I worked for a major modem manufacturer back in the day, but nowadays the circuits are much smaller and my eyesight is much poorer!
I also was a computer technician doing tech support for a major computer manufacturer.
And, I was trained and earned a "diploma" from a computer programming trade school.
Just mentioning all that so you know, that I am familiar with some of the principles and concepts involved here, NOT in anyway meant to say that I know what I'm doing here!..LOL

All and any help will be greatly appreciated. I wish I could remember more specific details, but go ahead and ask any specific questions, I will answer the best I can.
Thanks,
Cliff (tekjunkie02)

"northgeorgia" used the dual 3.3v/5v board as detailed here, and it worked: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...ooting-After-udf-Upload?p=2963410#post2963410

I'd stick with the desktop using XP for now. Did you load the "Lzma.exe" file from the SDK I posted earlier? The pins are clearly labeled on the bottom of the dual board, so you can pick the 5 v connection http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...ooting-After-udf-Upload?p=2963403#post2963403

I also have the dual board, but bought it for "just in case" as I haven't had any issues with my MicroHD yet. Failure to test the port sounds like the connectors between the board and the MicroHD board aren't making proper contact. Do you have a DVM, so you can check that?

Last edited:
Using the item in post 22, you would need to select the 5vcc configuration. With the 5vcc configuration, no 12vdc power is needed for the microHD. With no connections to the microHD rear panel other than the TTL/USB, the microHD Power LED will light green when power is supplied by the conversion cable. If the microHD Power LED does not light, the TTL/USB converter is not passing power.

Configuration and operation should not be any different between the desktop and laptop USB ports. Any USB port is capable of powering the PL2303 chip.

As long as the correct driver is used win7 or XP will work. No need to figure out Linux drivers as ALI Editor is Windows based software.

I agree that this appears to be a connection issue and not driver related as your PCs recognize the device, but no com test.

If using the ALI Editor distribution package for the microHD, no additional files are needed. I am not aware of the need for the LZMA file for this transfer process. If prompted, you may continue without installing.

Last edited:
All and any help will be greatly appreciated. I wish I could remember more specific details, but go ahead and ask any specific questions, I will answer the best I can.
Thanks,
Cliff (tekjunkie02)
Does the Micro's power supply need to be connected when doing this? Does it matter one way or the other?
I did try it both ways it doesn't really matter.
It seems as though I'm having serial port issues. Which version of the prolific drivers have been used? I'm using the latest of the 2 that are listed at the site. Maybe I'll try the other one?
Can I do this in Linux? Prolific has Linux "drivers" on their site.
I used this version "Installer version & Build date: 1.4.17 (2011-5-24)" on my win xp pro Desktop machine. Make sure to confirm in windows device manager that there is a Proflic entry there, and with a com port number listed.
**Note** Make sure the Serial to USB's four plugs are properly connected to the 4 pins on microHD, otherwise nothing would work.
As for using Linux, I have no clue.
When I selected the Prolific com port number shown in device manager, the editor failed to test the port. Happened with both laptop and desktop.
My experience tells me that one or more of the 4 plugs on the USB to Serial cable are not connecting properly (not making contact) with the 4pins on the microHD.

Using the item in post 22, you would need to select the 5vcc configuration. With the 5vcc configuration, no 12vdc power is needed for the microHD. With no connections to the microHD rear panel other than the TTL/USB, the microHD Power LED will light green when power is supplied by the conversion cable. If the microHD Power LED does not light, the TTL/USB converter is not passing power.

Configuration and operation should not be any different between the desktop and laptop USB ports. Any USB port is capable of powering the PL2303 chip.

I agree that this appears to be a connection issue and not driver related as your PCs recognize the device, but no com test.

The 5v available at the USB connector must also power the MicroHD, in addition to the PL2303 converter assembly, but, definitely agree, most likely all of this is a connection issue, especially using the converter assy that I purchased, that is why I wondered if anyone else got this specific product to work. I have other problems that I must deal with right now, but later I will double-triple-check my connections, re-do them and make sure they are good, and try again. I'll let you know what happens.

One more thing - once I am connected - should I try to get anything out of the MicroHD ? and, which file do I load to fix it, the default.udf ? anything else?

thanks again,

The 5v available at the USB connector must also power the MicroHD, in addition to the PL2303 converter assembly, but, definitely agree, most likely all of this is a connection issue, especially using the converter assy that I purchased, that is why I wondered if anyone else got this specific product to work. I have other problems that I must deal with right now, but later I will double-triple-check my connections, re-do them and make sure they are good, and try again. I'll let you know what happens.

One more thing - once I am connected - should I try to get anything out of the MicroHD ? and, which file do I load to fix it, the default.udf ? anything else?

thanks again,

Try to pull out the present corrupted .udf file, if at all possible so we can get it to Brian. If you can't, don't worry about it. Then, burn a new .udf file to the receiver like Babadem did and see if that fixes it.

You are making this much harder then it really is in your own mind. Don't over-think this, simply follow Brian's instructions in his guide. You can't lose at this point no matter what you do (since the receiver is already boot-looping), so as long as you are careful and methodical and follow the guide, anything you do can only help fix it! If not, Brian has already offered to RMA the receiver so it can be checked out.

Yes, I purchased the product mentioned in post #22. I almost gave up in frustration the second time I tried to flash the receiver. The wires are so delicate and everything has to be on the pins just right, or nothing happens. I felt like I almost went blind staring at the ends of those wires and the connector pins! I really think that's the problem...for some reason the wires aren't connecting between the microHD and the USB port. Hopefully, it's just a loose connection you have and not a faulty adapter! Unplug them all and push them back on firmly -- unfortunately, it's trial and error.

Last edited:
I copied this from the other thread, but the ones who followed my link and ordered the cable I posted, see at bottom:

I know I am worried now...I followed the original link that Brian had post, but it said this one was sold. Sooo I clicked the thing that said view similar items. I did note when eBay did that it took me to 3wire and 4 wire ones. I made sure to get a 4-wire set-up, but didn't even look to see that it was 5-volt:doh:. They apparently ship faster than he says, according to them it said I will get by September 27th. However, according to tracking I should have it by Friday, so I will check and report as soon as I get it.

Good News!! This is the correct cable and putting out 5 volts. :happydance:

Hi all,
I thought I wouldn't post in this thread again, but, on further thought realized you all deserved to know...

So, I have given up. I thought I was going to go blind, or crazy, or both, trying to get that thing to work!

After trying everything I could think of to make sure I had good connections, I still could not get it to test the port and communicate with the receiver!
So, I have given up, and asked for an exchange, and I'm sending my USB cable along too, so it can be checked out.

Thank you all for all the help and advice. I really have no idea why it didn't work:(

Sorry you could not get it to work, but good idea sending your cable with Receiver so that Brian and figure it all out.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. The bright side is that maybe the trapped corrupted .udf file could help Brian understand how they're causing this loop for some of the receivers.

Has anything been learned about the cause this issue when the receiver was previously functioning fine? It doesn't make sense that several of us have had this happen without any software changes. I find it had to believe after reading this whole thread that data somehow corrupts itself over a short time.

Has anything been learned about the cause this issue when the receiver was previously functioning fine? It doesn't make sense that several of us have had this happen without any software changes. I find it had to believe after reading this whole thread that data somehow corrupts itself over a short time.

I can confirm 100% that if you write a good .udf file back to the micro it will stop rebooting. It's really not hard at all pop the top plug the cable in back up the .udf file for B and write a good .udf file.

The reseller emailed tekjunkie02's .udf and we are analyzing the file. We also received another .udf file from another user. Will take a few days to test and we will post what we learn.

So far all we know for sure is that one of the cycling reboots was caused by loading an empty .udf file, another was caused by corrupted data file from an ALI Editor while a third was an import of an OpenBox .udf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts