microHD Repeatedly Rebooting After .udf Upload

The 5vcc is not adequate to power the microHD and other connected devices. If all other devices (SAT IN, HDMI and USB) are disconnected from the microHD and only the TTL pins are connected, there is no need to attach the external 12vdc power supply for the microHD.

Does the STB continue to power cycle if powered only by the TTL conversion cable?

Do not load an .udf file. For recovery, load the most recent .abs file.

The 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable came in yesterday. I had to strip off one of the cable ends of the plastic cover for the pins to fit into the serial port of the MicroHD. Without this the 4pins wouldn't have fitted.

I would advise leaving the plastic cover on the 5vcc plug to prevent accidental short on other pins or a PCB component.

That may be true, however just the firmware push didn't work. Since in some cases people mentioned that the rebooting came after they played with their .udf file, perhaps a corrupted .udf file caused the reboots. It therefore follows that maybe a good .udf file will stop the reboots..

Worth a try. The .abs file should completely overwrite the .udf during a manual serial load.

If the rebooting continues, I would like to get these two units returned under RMA so we can examine the STBs on the test bench.

I'm getting an interesting error..... as it prepares to download the firmware, it says it cannot find "lzma.exe" in the folder where the ALI editor and firmware are located. When I click ok, it acts as if it continues to download and flash...

I just found out the cable I ordered, does not have 5v output to the data lines, only as a power supply.
This is the same cable as Primestar31 suggested.
This is what the vendor said;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, output is 3.3V, sorry. There is also a 5V and 3.3V power output but this does not affect the logic level output.

Regards,
Jeff
NooElec Inc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, in light of the above results, it may not matter at this point.

Since I just purchased my MicroHD, I think I'll ask my vendor for an exchange, Brian, what would you reccommend at this point?

Thanks,
Cliff

I just found out the cable I ordered, does not have 5v output to the data lines, only as a power supply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, output is 3.3V, sorry. There is also a 5V and 3.3V power output but this does not affect the logic level output.

Regards,
Jeff
NooElec Inc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I just purchased my MicroHD, I think I'll ask my vendor for an exchange, Brian, what would you reccommend at this point?

Thanks,
Cliff

If you use the 5volt output pin, and the program showed it writing to the MicroHD, it worked. Whether that fixes whatever is wrong, that's yet to be determined. Another person used the 3.3volt only version, and it clearly didn't write to the board. See here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/291431-Problem-after-firmware-update!?p=2961840#post2961840

There is a jumper connector between the receive and transmit pins on the device I suggested. That's used for loopback testing to test itself. That jumper connector needs to be removed before flashing the MicroHD. Also, look at the back of the board. It shows which output pin is 3.3v and which one is 5v. Use the 5v one.

No recommendation as we have never attempted to use the wrong cable or a multi-voltage product. I do not have a 3.3vcc version to test.

Correction to an earlier post, the current .abs file does not overwrite the .udf.

Regards,
Jeff
NooElec Inc.

Thanks,
Cliff

The vendor is right and wrong....

If you are attempting to load the files and power the PCB via the TTL cable, 5vcc is very important. 3.3vcc will not power the PCD and the external power supply is required. The connection of the external power supply may be contributing to this reboot issue. At this point, we just don't have enoght information or able to duplicate.

I'm getting an interesting error..... as it prepares to download the firmware, it says it cannot find "lzma.exe" in the folder where the ALI editor and firmware are located. When I click ok, it acts as if it continues to download and flash...

Are you using the microHD version of the Ali Editor or another version?

Oh, yes, if the 5v is only required as a power source, and not as a logic level.
I guess I misunderstood the requirements, sorry:sorry:.

Can the unit be reset(factory set) with these cables?

Can the unit be reset(factory set) with these cables?

Reset (Factory Set) to what? If the .udf file is corrupted, it must be replaced. There is nothing to reset to.

Try selecting the .udf file type for PC to STB file transfer and load the most recent .udf Satellite / Transponder list posted in the stickies.

Later today, we will be adding a recovery / loading steps PDF for .udf via TTL / USB connection.

No recommendation as we have never attempted to use the wrong cable or a multi-voltage product. I do not have a 3.3vcc version to test.

Correction to an earlier post, the current .abs file does not overwrite the .udf.
So you're suggesting we also upload a ".udf" file too?

I got the same error late last night/early morning, and the behavior was identical too. I didn't research further when I realized it was 3:07AM and I had to be in the office by 8:30AM EST!:eek:

Last edited:
Success! I loaded another user's UDF file and now the machine is operating normally. Brian, I used the ALI editor that was provided for the microHD but for some reason, that lzma.exe file wasn't included. What I did was just -try- to copy that .exe file from my openbox's ali editor into the folder with the microHD's editor to see what would happen, and it worked. I don't know if the lzma.exe was originally included and it somehow was deleted, or maybe wasn't considered necessary, but the microHD's ALI editor kept flashing an error message without it. Do you know if there is supposed to be an lzma.exe file with the microHD version of ALI editor?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I used the 5 pin dual version 5V/3.3V with and it works fine, but the wire attachments have to be slid on just so, or it doesn't register the serial connection.

The 5vcc is not adequate to power the microHD and other connected devices. If all other devices (SAT IN, HDMI and USB) are disconnected from the microHD and only the TTL pins are connected, there is no need to attach the external 12vdc power supply for the microHD.

Does the STB continue to power cycle if powered only by the TTL conversion cable?

Do not load an .udf file. For recovery, load the most recent .abs file.

@ the highlighted. I will check to make sure later tonight.

Very Glad to hear we have one success story NorthGeorgia! :)

I'm getting a "fail to get version" message,
after test serial port status - finished,
at Collect STB information.

tried several times with .udf, and .abs files..
what next?

BTW, got the cable, and it seems to work

Success! I loaded another user's UDF file and now the machine is operating normally. Brian, I used the ALI editor that was provided for the microHD but for some reason, that lzma.exe file wasn't included. What I did was just -try- to copy that .exe file from my openbox's ali editor into the folder with the microHD's editor to see what would happen, and it worked. I don't know if the lzma.exe was originally included and it somehow was deleted, or maybe wasn't considered necessary, but the microHD's ALI editor kept flashing an error message without it. Do you know if there is supposed to be an lzma.exe file with the microHD version of ALI editor?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I used the 5 pin dual version 5V/3.3V with and it works fine, but the wire attachments have to be slid on just so, or it doesn't register the serial connection.

Just as I thought, the dual version has been proven to work fine, and that loading a good .udf file fixes the reboots. Now that the good .udf file fixed your reboots, perhaps Brian can do something to find out what about the corruption causes the reboots, and do something with a future firmware to stop it? Or maybe could a firmware be programmed to do some sort of check on a .udf file, and reject installing it if it doesn't pass muster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)