MLB 2013 Season

So much for Jake Peavey's Doyle Alexabder impersonations In the Boston Herald reader comments, they were ready to annoint Peavey as the starter for a one-game playoff...

I cannot believe this. I went to bed and the Dodgers were down 6-1 in the 8th. I woke up to find out they won 7-6, scoring 2 in the 8th and 4 in the 9th. Tied it on an A-Gon double and won it on a throwing error.

Last edited:
Last night:
...the Dodgers...Tied it on an A-Gon double...

...whcih had immediately followed a Nick Punto double. Why can't the Red Sox get guys like that?

And this afternoon:

First inning : Punto singled, Gonzalez homered LA 2, TB 0
Third inning: Punto doubled home Crawford, who had doubled, and someone else who had walked. LA 4, TB 0.

Why can't we get guys like that?

Mattingly said that A-Gon is the Dodgers MVP. He is leading the team in HRs, RBIs, and BA with runners in scoring position. He is also among the league leaders in hitting with runners in scoring position. So he gets the hits when it is most important.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Dodgers beat the Rays again, now taking this series. They have not lost their last 15 series 11-0-5).

They are 19-3 since all star break.

During today's game Uribe made an out on a hidden ball trick, so the team made this for him as a joke.

image-2309758371.png
image-1307696670.png

This is hilarious.

The Red Sox survived Doubront's first mediocre outing in a couple of months. They brought up Middlebrooks instead of Bogaerts and he got two hits and had two RBI, while Napoli struck out three more times in four at-bats and is hitting .200 for the month of August.

With Drew and Napoli on one year contracts and Inglesias gone, the Red Sox will need to fill three infield positions for next year. Drew is now up to his lifetime offensive averages and climbing, having hit nearly .400 and slugged about .700 for the last two weeks, and the Sabermetrics people calculate that he may be the best defensive shortstop in the American League and he is only 30 years old. It could be that the solution for next year is to give Drew a three year contract and promise him the shortstop job, and to play Bogaerts at third and Middlebrooks at first.

Last edited:
Mattingly said that A-Gon is the Dodgers MVP. He is leading the team in HRs, RBIs, and BA with runners in scoring position. He is also among the league leaders in hitting with runners in scoring position. So he gets the hits when it is most important.

Thats the guy I thought the Red Sox were getting from San Deigo, he was that same guy in SD.
Maybe he can't handle the AL ?

The Red Sox survived Doubront's first mediocre outing in a couple of months. They brought up Middlebrooks instead of Bogaerts and he got two hits and had two RBI, while Napoli struck out three more times in four at-bats and is hitting .200 for the month of August.

With Drew and Napoli on one year contracts and Inglesias gone, the Red Sox will need to fill three infield positions for next year. Drew is now up to his lifetime offensive averages and climbing, having hit nearly .400 and slugged about .700 for the last two weeks, and the Sabermetrics people calculate that he may be the best defensive shortstop in the American League and he is only 30 years old. It could be that the solution for next year is to give Drew a three year contract and promise him the shortstop job, and to play Bogaerts at third and Middlebrooks at first.

This the same Drew that has a career avg of around .250 ?
I truly believe this is why the Tigers didn't go after him in the off season ...
They've been trying to upgrade the D at SS for years now, Peralta was suppose to be a Stop gap.

Btw, Thank you Red Sox for Iglesias, we appreciate the help ... he has been EXCELLENT so far.

It will be interesting to see where he shakes out with his batting avg, being only up for 2 years, its still hard to tell.
I doubt that he's the .320 hitter he currently is, but hopefully not the typical .250 and below guy when all said and done either.

Thats the guy I thought the Red Sox were getting from San Deigo, he was that same guy in SD.
Maybe he can't handle the AL ?
Yeah. That's why he and the Dodgers are tearing up the AL teams when he plays against them.

And that is why he was the Sox best hitter as well, leading the entire AL in hits and posted his best batting average ever when playing in the AL, along with the second most RBIs in his career that went along with the only Silver Slugger Award he ever won.

And his career BA average with runners in scoring position is higher than his actual career batting average, including the time he was with Boston (which was the highest of his career). He WAS their best clutch hitter.

Why does every think he did not perform then? One of his best years was the only full year he played with them.

Last edited:
I think that the Boston fans got bummed out a little by Gonzales's disappointing home run production and his significant decline in walks in a season where a decline in walks afflicted several Red Sox players. I felt that his offensive production for the Red Sox was about normal for $20 million a year, especially coming from a Gold Glover. Still, it was nice to clear the decks of the Beckett and Crawford contracts and to make room for the minor league pipeline to feed up a few bargain priced players, like Bradley, Bogaerts and Middlebrooks. Realistically, the Sox will still have to buy another $20 million a year bat, but will pick their next expensive free agent based on which of the minor league prospects pans out.

I think that the Boston fans got bummed out a little by Gonzales's disappointing home run production and his significant decline in walks in a season where a decline in walks afflicted several Red Sox players. I felt that his offensive production for the Red Sox was about normal for $20 million a year, especially coming from a Gold Glover. Still, it was nice to clear the decks of the Beckett and Crawford contracts and to make room for the minor league pipeline to feed up a few bargain priced players, like Bradley, Bogaerts and Middlebrooks. Realistically, the Sox will still have to buy another $20 million a year bat, but will pick their next expensive free agent based on which of the minor league prospects pans out.
He had one of his best offensive years ever. The Power was down because he was coming back from shoulder surgery and could not drive the ball like he did in the past. He will never have that type of power again and he knows this. The important thing is that he made the adjustments to become more of a line drive hitter and still drive in runs. His RBI success rate and his clutch hitting actually improved as a result.

It is one thing to be dissapointed about power decline. But it is another to thing to ignore facts and think his offensive production declined all together, when he had is best all around offensive year, blaming AL pitching for a decline did not actually exist, only to because one believes it to be true when it actually is not true.

BTW, there are more top line pitchers in the NL and the NL pitching as a whole is better than the AL. The AL as a whole has better offensive production and that is because they have a DH.

Last edited:
Yeah. That's why he and the Dodgers are tearing up the AL teams when he plays against them.

And that is why he was the Sox best hitter as well, leading the entire AL in hits and posted his best batting average ever when playing in the AL, along with the second most RBIs in his career that went along with the only Silver Slugger Award he ever won.

And his career BA average with runners in scoring position is higher than his actual career batting average, including the time he was with Boston (which was the highest of his career). He WAS their best clutch hitter.

Why does every think he did not perform then? One of his best years was the only full year he played with them.

He put up good numbers but what was exposed during his time in Boston was his me-first attitude. When a player does things like complaining publically about having to get in late to the next city after a Sunday night espn game, that's not a good sign. Maybe he'll adapt better again to the laid back, more serene expectations from west coast fans....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish the Sox would have kept him.

He put up good numbers but what was exposed during his time in Boston was his me-first attitude. When a player does things like complaining publically about having to get in late to the next city after a Sunday night espn game, that's not a good sign. Maybe he'll adapt better again to the laid back, more serene expectations from west coast fans....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again we are deviating from the original point about his production. Some say he wasn't clutch and the numbers say that wasn't so. Then some say he couldn't hit with the Sox like he is doing with the Dodgers and the numbers show he hit even better with them. Some say he is doing better because he is no longer in the AL when the fact was he did best when he was in the AL

Now as far as his team attitude, I don't know how that was with the Sox. From what I read there was a lot of blame to go around. But I can say that with the Dodgers he has been a true leader, mentor, coach, and their most most consistent productive player.

Bottom line for me, as a fan who actually watched him when he played for the Sox, if it was bottom of the 8th man on second and a tie score who would I want up to bat? I would rather see Ortiz or Pedroia at the plate than Gonzalez. Of course those guys are already proven winners , so maybe that's not fair to poor misunderstood Adrian.

Good for him being the Dodgers 3/4 season MVP, what kind of trophy do you get for that? Does it look the same as the "hottest" team trophy?

Speaking for myself, I never said Gonzalez wasn't a very good hitter. There are two things, however that are FACTS and not opinions. He was a multimillionaire malcontent in Boston, and most importantly he's been a part of THREE consecutive late season collapses on three different teams. A pretty good sample of do we have a "winner" and "leader" if you ask me.

Bottom line for me, as a fan who actually watched him when he played for the Sox, if it was bottom of the 8th man on second and a tie score who would I want up to bat? I would rather see Ortiz or Pedroia at the plate than Gonzalez. Of course those guys are already proven winners , so maybe that's not fair to poor misunderstood Adrian.
It's easy to let emotions get in the way of facts. If you don't like him, fine. I don't care. But don't let your possible dislike of him get in the way of facts.

Lets compare with what you stated during the one full year they all played together with the Sox. The bolded numbers are the highest or tied for highest of the three

Gonzalez (2011)

Split ?GGSPAABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSTBGDPHBPSHSFIBBROEBAbiptOPS+sOPS+
RISP118220
-2-
8th Inning59521313

Pedroa (2011)

SplitGGSPAABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSTBGDPHBPSHSFIBBROEBAbiptOPS+sOPS+
RISP11419315549101
-2-557056132121010129.232.368.411.77823002042
8th Inning72

David Ortiz

SplitGGSPAABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSTBGDPHBPSHSFIBBROEBAbiptOPS+sOPS+
RISP9917714341807
-2-
8th Inning

So, let me ask you why you would take Pedroa or Ortiz when Gonzalez is much better and much more productive in the situations you presented?

I don't think you want to compare careers.
Good for him being the Dodgers 3/4 season MVP, what kind of trophy do you get for that? Does it look the same as the "hottest" team trophy?
I often find when people are presented with facts that contradict their own biases, believes, views, or opinions, they often resort to sarcasm and strawmen. S

Sorry if you had a bitter marriage. But it worked out better for both teams. So there is no need to be negative.

Oklahoma State basketball legend Bob Kurland dies at 88

L.C. Greenwood RIP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)