MLB 2014-15 Hot Stove season

A... I have a strange feeling he was backed into that deal by MLB because of Loria's past AND for him, he has the Stanton commodity if he sells the team, which he can in 2 more years.
B... Loria gave Stanton the best of both worlds: a no-trade clause AND a by out in 5 years. More than likely, Stanton will opted out because he wants to go back to California and not be traded to the Yanks, Red Sox or Braves.

I CANNOT believe I am gonna do this, but I am going to stick up for the deal.:coco:eek (I think I just threw-up in my mouth and I need a shower)I think this was right deal. Do I trust Loria for as far as I can spit out gum...HELL NO! But, it was damn if you do and damn if you don't. I am glad he did.
As seen on ESPN.com:

If Giancarlo Stanton opts out of his new 13-year, $325 million contract with the Miami Marlins after the first six seasons, he'll be walking away from a staggering $218 million over the final seven seasons, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.com Tuesday.

However, one source said Stanton was so motivated to give his team the financial flexibility to win now, he agreed to a heavily backloaded contract structure that will pay him just $30 million over the first three seasons.

According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015 and 2016 and then via free agency. He would earn $77 million over the next three seasons and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As seen on ESPN.com:

If Giancarlo Stanton opts out of his new 13-year, $325 million contract with the Miami Marlins after the first six seasons, he'll be walking away from a staggering $218 million over the final seven seasons, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.com Tuesday.

However, one source said Stanton was so motivated to give his team the financial flexibility to win now, he agreed to a heavily backloaded contract structure that will pay him just $30 million over the first three seasons.

According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015 and 2016 and then via free agency. He would earn $77 million over the next three seasons and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season.

Well, this will be Laria's excuse in the future, that he can't afford anyone else.
After all if he's paying one player an avg of 32.5 Million for a season.

No one will be able to trade for him with a contract like that, so essentially, he's stuck in Miami.

Well, this will be Laria's excuse in the future, that he can't afford anyone else.

No one will be able to trade for him with a contract like that, so essentially, he's stuck in Miami.
Did you read any part of the article I quoted?

That average ONLY holds water if he stays the entire length of the contract. IF Stanton opts out, his contract will average about $25 million year the first 5 years with the first 3 averaging out only $10 mil per year. I think the idea for Loria is that he can bail out by selling the team in 3 years and then let the "other owner" worry about the $30+ million left on the contract.

EITHER WAY, they had to sign him.

As seen on ESPN.com:

Also, with these new details, it looks like it forces Loria to put up or shutup about adding more talent to the team...and it seems to working:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/miami-marlins

Now, does look familiar to a couple of years ago when then went nuts overspending on FA. But I think since Loria is closer to selling the team in the next couple of years, he might be loading it to make the team more attractive to sell.

Or...we could be in for another major duping all over again....:(

Braves, Cardinals interested in Jon Lester http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/18/7244467/jon-lester-mlb-rumors-cardinals-braves
Last week, it was reported that six teams were in on Lester. We knew of two at the time. Now, it appears two more have surfaced.Free-agent starter Jon Lester is drawing interest from the Atlanta Braves and St. Louis Cardinals, according to reports.The Cardinals are in on Lester partially as a result of their trade of Miller, according to ESPN's Jim Bowden. St. Louis used Miller to fill a void in its outfield but lost rotation depth as a result, though Carlos Martinez and Marco Gonzales are realistic options to step into that role if Lester signs elsewhere. quote]

I dont know about the Stanton deal. Loria could fill his team with AAA guys and then what? And whose to say eventually there will not be another fire sale like before. Also, about Martin. I think its a very good signing. It seems like he always gets a hit in the clutch which is what you want.

Looks like Hanley Ramirez is heading to Boston, 5 yr, 90M ...
I guess they are Not going after Pablo Sandaval anymore ?

Thursday it looked like Sandaval was all but done ... could they be getting both ?

I thought Boggarts was the heir apparent to play SS or 3b

They still have an offer out to Sandoval. Ramirez is supposedly OK with a position change, maybe even to the OF.

Is this the last year of Cespedes' contract? I ask because I went to the Red Sox forum & they are speculating there that Cespedes might be traded for pitching help,& his contract is the only reason I can come up with why they'd possibly do such a thing.

All those free agents don't mean clubhouse chemistry. How many World Series have the Angels won since signing Albert Pujols?

They still have an offer out to Sandoval. Ramirez is supposedly OK with a position change, maybe even to the OF.

I hadn't considered Hanley as one to change positions .... thats great if he does, I've always looked at him as a Me Me guy, doing whats best for him only ... maybe thats gonna change ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)