MLB Extra Innings 2012 Now Available

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is another article from macworld for those curious about how the MLB gets our MLB.TV and gameday audio streams to us. It gives a look inside the processing center that handles all MLB audio and video streaming as well as March Madness online and ESPN3.com. It's from last year but I thought it was a pretty good read for tech nerds like myself. Play Ball! A look inside MLB's high-tech media center | Macworld

This is nice, last year I spent $30 just to have the app on two devices and get audio only.

This year for $125 I get the app free on both devices, the audio, and video excluding my home team, and games on the PC and PS3. Still wish they would copy the NBA model and if you get the package on Directv the internet is included free.

Yep, it seems like a great deal. I am curious to see how well the service holds up once thousands of people start using it on opening day. I really hope it doesn't turn out like Sunday Ticket on the PS3 but according to people like DodgerKing there doesn't seem to be as many problems. If that's true this has to be the best deal going for out of market sports packages.

MLB TV – Other Teams Feed?

The last few years I had MLB EI

Now that I have U-verse Internet ( Download 12.44 Mb/s; Upload 1.38 Mb/s) I am strongly considering getting MLB.TV. I know I will be losing Directv’s great HD. But, with MLB.TV I will be able to watch the games on my PC, my TV ( I have Roku ) and on my Iphone.

I also thought I will no longer have to hear Hawk Harelson, ( I am in the Chicago area). Say the White Sox are playing Baltimore. With MLB. TV will I get the Baltimore broadcast.? Also, will I be able to replace the TV announcers with the radio announcers?

Yes a MLB.TV premium subscription is required for the Roku and iPhone for $125.

The premium subscription gives you the choice of either team's broadcast in HD. It also gives you the option of listening to either team's radio broadcasters synced with the video from either team's telecast. For example if the White Sox and Tigers were playing you could watch the Tigers broadcast with the White Sox radio broadcasters if you wanted. They also have the Spanish radio broadcasts if available.

Another option is no broadcasters with just the ballpark sounds. You would hear the crowd, stadium announcer, crack of the bat, etc and that would be it. I think that sounds cool on occasion too.

I actually like the Tigers television broadcasters but I am looking forward to watching some of the games with the radio broadcasters and ballpark sounds this year. The radio guys are great and I'm sure it will give a whole new feel to the game.

Edit: I just realized you said you live in Chicago. MLB.TV won't be an option for you while you are in your home market. The White Sox games will be blacked out on MLB.TV and you will have to watch them on CSN Chicago. It's a bummer for me too because I would like to use these features for my Tigers but they aren't available at home. I travel a lot for work though so it will be nice on the road.

Last edited:
Edit: I just realized you said you live in Chicago. MLB.TV won't be an option for you while you are in your home market. The White Sox games will be blacked out on MLB.TV and you will have to watch them on CSN Chicago. It's a bummer for me too because I would like to use these features for my Tigers but they aren't available at home. I travel a lot for work though so it will be nice on the road.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is too bad. It appears if I do not want to hear Hawk Harelson while I am watching the White Sox my only option is to use the mute button.

Yep, it seems like a great deal. I am curious to see how well the service holds up once thousands of people start using it on opening day. I really hope it doesn't turn out like Sunday Ticket on the PS3 but according to people like DodgerKing there doesn't seem to be as many problems. If that's true this has to be the best deal going for out of market sports packages.
I think there were some issues on opening day last year since they had a free preview. I ended up watching the free preview of EI through DirecTV anyway.

MLB TV – Other Teams Feed?

The last few years I had MLB EI

Now that I have U-verse Internet ( Download 12.44 Mb/s; Upload 1.38 Mb/s) I am strongly considering getting MLB.TV. I know I will be losing Directv’s great HD. But, with MLB.TV I will be able to watch the games on my PC, my TV ( I have Roku ) and on my Iphone.

I also thought I will no longer have to hear Hawk Harelson, ( I am in the Chicago area). Say the White Sox are playing Baltimore. With MLB. TV will I get the Baltimore broadcast.? Also, will I be able to replace the TV announcers with the radio announcers?
12 down may not be fast enough to give you HD consistently.

I have 20 down but I would think 12 should be plenty. My friend has 6mb DSL in his apartment and that is good enough to get the top quality 1080p streams from Netflix on his PS3. From what I have seen from watching archives for the last month or so Netflix is higher quality than MLB.TV so 12 should be plenty unless MLB.TV is extremely inefficient with bandwidth.

MLB has a bandwidth test. My bandwidth is well over the speed needed to receive HD.

Well the first televised spring training game is on. Philllies vs Yankees. The Tigers also have their first radio broadcast on at the same time. This is cool. I'm watching the Phillies and Yankees with the Tigers audio in PIP at my desk right now. You can shrink the PIP box down so it doesn't take up much screen real estate.

I also watched for a little bit on my iPhone just because I wanted to test the picture quality. I'm really impressed with the quality over Verizon 3G especially because youtube normally looks pretty bad.

Last edited:
I was actually on the fence about dropping EI this year so I called D* and told them I wanted to cancel. The tech asked why and I said because I could MLBTV for $125. He put me on hold and came back a couple of minutes later and said they could do EI for the early bird renewal of $209 minus $60 (6 $10 monthly credits all at once) for a total of $149 and I asked to have it on one payment vice the 6 month plan. Granted I wont get Spring training games but overall I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Ranmic - if you add Sports Pack for March you'll get most of the spring training games, there are nearly no blackouts for spring. Otherwise most of them reair on MLB Net, though most on tape delay.

Last season I received $10 off per month, making my monthly payment $24.95 intead of $34.95. I called a couple of hours ago and asked if they could match what they did for me last year. (I also referenced MLB.TV costing $125 for the same poduct they were selling at an early bird rate of $210.)

The CSR immediately gave me the same $10 off per month as last year. I then asked if I could receive an additional discount if I paid the entire amount at once. He said no, but said he could give an additonal $5 off per month, making my payments $19.95 per month for six months. I thanked him profusely, telling him he had gone above and beyond what I was even asking.

Is MLBTV blackout area determined by IP Address; or is it they determined by zip code?

The MLBTV site shows my IP address is not subject to any home territory blackout restrictions. But, it also shows based upon my zip code the White Sox and Cubs are in my home territory and are subject to blackout restrictions?

Will I be able to watch the White Sox and Cubs with MLBTV?

Just spoke to a CSR after doing cancel/cancel at the prompt. Told her how much I could get MLBTV for and she matched it!! I paid all at once and she gave me a one time credit of $84 and change. WOOHOO!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)