MLB talk

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I am making this thread to talk about baseball in general.

I am making this thread to talk about baseball in general.

Good idea,
I was wondering if anyone was going to post anything about baseball other than the Tigers and the Yankees threads (I think we still have a Yanks thread going) Seeing how well they are playing now, it should be hopping !

Jimbo

Last edited:
Was at last nite's Twins/Braves game at the BIT (Big Inflatable Toilet AKA the Metrodome)....got to see an awesome finish (and Twins win) :)

Twins almost blew it...they struck out 11 Atlanta batters only to be 2 hit until the 9th (were down 2-0). Where i was sitting (right by the Atlanta Bullpen) just as Wickman was ready to leave the bullpen I hollered "Go blow the lead Wickman" to which he hollered towards my direction to "go blow myself".....guess he kept his end of the deal :D

My Reds keep blowing leads after the starter goes out of the game. I think they should just let the whole bullpen go and brink up the young guys. They certainly couldn't do any worse.

Saturday night the Pirates are gonna start a young pitcher from AAA, John Van Benschoten it's about time to start bringing up these phenoms. The Pirates beat the White Sox tonight, hopefully Van Benschoten can win Saturday, then Sunday I'm going to the game for Fathers Day, Woo-Hoo I get a free hat:D .

Even if the Succos lose, that will be OK to me, The White Sox are my 2nd favorite team.

Then after the game Sunday my wife and daughter is taking me out to dinner at the new Jerome Bettis restaurant Grille 36.

Pittsburgh Dish: The Dish on Dish: Jerome Bettis' Grille 36

It should be a good day.:D

BTW as of 6/16/07 The Reds are still behind the Pirates.:D

My Reds keep blowing leads after the starter goes out of the game. I think they should just let the whole bullpen go and brink up the young guys. They certainly couldn't do any worse.

Gee Ramy,
That sounds like the Tigers bullpen since Zumaya went down. Most of it anyways.
It use to be that you only had to worry about the ninth inning with Todd (Roller Coaster) Jones in there and ironically as interesting as he makes it, he normally closed the deal (even this year, for the most part) Sure hope Zumaya doesn't feel Tooooooo much pressure when he gets back.

Jimbo

I've never heard John Van Benschoten refered to as a "phenom" before, then again, when you give up over 8 hits per 9/IP and walk over 3 guys a game you really shouldn't be classified as such.

The phenom tag can and was correctly applied to Phil Hughes, Tim Lincecum and to a lesser extent Yovani Gallardo. What is the difference between these players and JvB? Heh, it's really quite simple.

Gee Ramy,
That sounds like the Tigers bullpen since Zumaya went down. Most of it anyways.
It use to be that you only had to worry about the ninth inning with Todd (Roller Coaster) Jones in there and ironically as interesting as he makes it, he normally closed the deal (even this year, for the most part) Sure hope Zumaya doesn't feel Tooooooo much pressure when he gets back.

Jimbo

Yeah I know. They have the worst record in the NL right now and they can't do much worse if they bring up minor leaguers.

I'm in Cambridge Mass. on business so I got a ticket to go to the Red Sox and Giants game on Sunday. Should be great hearing the crowd getting on Bonds. Secretly, I hope he hits one out. I'll have to be careful not to cheer too loud ...lol

I'm in Cambridge Mass. on business so I got a ticket to go to the Red Sox and Giants game on Sunday. Should be great hearing the crowd getting on Bonds. Secretly, I hope he hits one out. I'll have to be careful not to cheer too loud ...lol

I am VERY looking forward to seeing him when he comes down to Miami. For all the steroids possibilities...he is STILL one, if not, THE GREATEST player of our generation.
And EVEN if he didn't take 'roids....pitchers would STILL be afraid of him!

I am VERY looking forward to seeing him when he comes down to Miami. For all the steroids possibilities...he is STILL one, if not, THE GREATEST player of our generation.
And EVEN if he didn't take 'roids....pitchers would STILL be afraid of him!

They wern't very afraid of him last year, pitched to him 90% of the time,this year he seems to be back in his grove some.

Jimbo

They wern't very afraid of him last year, pitched to him 90% of the time,this year he seems to be back in his grove some.

Jimbo

Jimbo...your kidding right?? He didn't have is usual numbers because he only played 130 games....and STILL lead the league in walks and was in the top 5 in HBP, LEAD the league in OBP....and only hit .270....they have not pitched to him in almost 20 years....look at the stats. The ONLY years he has NOT lead the league in either OBP and walks were years he was injured. Don't get me wrong, IMHO, ONLY Garry Sheffield is a bigger dick than Bonds....but I will not deny his ability.

friday the cardinals embarras themselfs going down 14 - 3. saturday we look like world series champions winning 15 - 6. welcome to st louis baseball 2007

I was at the game between Boston and San Francisco today and saw Bonds hit number 748. It was awesome and I got some great photos of him connecting and rounding the bases. I agree with Salsa ... the steroids talk aside, Bonds is an amazing, amazing hitter and I feel privileged to have been able to witness this guy hit the ball.

Last edited:
I was at the game between Boston and San Francisco today and saw Bonds hit number 748. It was awesome and I got some great photos of him connecting and rounding the bases. I agree with Salsa ... the steroids talk aside, Bonds is an amazing, amazing hitter and I feel privileged to have been able to witness this guy hit the ball.

Even though I am not a fan of Bonds, it was still amazing being able to watch Bonds at his early days as a Pirate.

I may not like him personally, and I still don't think he's a good player in the post season, but he will probably be know as the greatest player ever, and I can tell my grandchildren I use to see him play live.

Even though I am not a fan of Bonds, it was still amazing being able to watch Bonds at his early days as a Pirate.

I may not like him personally, and I still don't think he's a good player in the post season, but he will probably be know as the greatest player ever, and I can tell my grandchildren I use to see him play live.

I actually like him back when he was in Pittsburgh, I thought Bonds and Bonilla had the makings of a pretty good team, if the team would have added more pieces and worked to build the team, then Bonds left and the Pirates have not been very good since.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I actually like him back when he was in Pittsburgh, I thought Bonds and Bonilla had the makings of a pretty good team, if the team would have added more pieces adn worked to build the team, then Bonds left and the Pirates have not been very good since.

Jimbo

Bonilla and Van Slyke was my favorite back then, but I still cheered when Bonds was up. IMO Bonds is to the Pirates as Ruth was to the Red Sox.

I always hated to see Bonds come to Cincinnati because he hit alot of HR's against them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)