Modulation?

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Need some help. What is the difference between DVB-S2 (QPSK) and DVB-S2 (HBCD) modulation?

Asking for a friend..........................;)

Thanks Cyberham. You answered my question as the Micro HD is where I just saw it and the TP I was looking at was NOT locked.

Got another question guys, what channel list editors do I use for the Micro HD and an Openbox S9 and can I edit PIDs in both those lists? I've got that software on an old Windowz XPee box but forgot which one goes with which, or if they both use the same editor, which I "think" is the case.

We have the same two receivers so we likely encounter similar problems. For the microHD, I use AliEditor to edit channels. You can edit PIDs. I used this method to enter all the radio channels on 103W Ku. I also have Media Box Editor Studio but don't recall using it.

For Openbox S9, I use S9-Editor to edit. The two receivers seem to need different editors.

On the microHD, you can blind scan specific PIDs that you manually enter.

Ah, I just looked at a Micro HD but couldn't do what I wanted to do. So I guess my next step is the ALi Editor to see if that will do it.

Thanks for the info cuz I never knew that you could edit those PIDs outside of an editor. Is the S9 like that also?

For the microHD, you can't edit PIDs once you've scanned the channel in. But you can blind scan for a video or audio PID that you set in advance before you scan.

For the S9, you cannot set a PID to blind scan for like the microHD.

But for both receivers, you can edit PIDs using compatible external editor software like AliEditor or S9-Editor respectively.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well, even with the editor it won't work on the Micro HD cuz the editor won't let me save what I need to change.

The Puerto Rico mux has changed PIDs again to 4 digit numbers, something that neither the Micro HD nor the S9 will allow. Here are the new PIDs for that mux now!

WSJX 0101/0102/0001
WVGN 0201/0202/0002
This 0301/0302/0003

You can change them with the editor but when you click OK to exit it switches back to 101/102/ and 8191 on the PCR one and won't let you save the 0101/0102 or 0001 like it needs to be either.

Looks like the only fix would be a firmware upgrade, which isn't likely to happen in this lifetime!!

So, there goes my fall recordings of The Blacklist on WVGN and I'll have to do those recording on NBC @ 105w at 8/10 GB per episode instead of 1.2 GB like with the WVGN broadcast. [rolleyes] :wtf:deadhorse2

I tried in the microHD editor and, you're right, you can't save 0101 instead of 101. But that shouldn't matter. They're the same number. PCR PID is usually the same as the video PID.

For example, NHK Japan on 103W has video PID of 102. If I change to 0102 then the editor immediately changes it back to 102. But the receiver still receives NHK Japan.

When you edit, you should also change the SID to a different number. Or else the editing will be overwritten when you do another scan.

Reactions: Titanium
Cyber I got those PIDs from that junk V7 receiver I have that scanned them in with no problem, and, shows me those 3 channels.

But just for the heck of it, tomorrow I'll try the Micro HD again and use the video PID for the PCR and see if that one will work.

Thanks.......................

Drop the leading "0". It is an unnecessary filler digit that AliEditor does not allow.

HBCD is a DVBS2 H8PSK option mode. The microhd on screen display is a remnant of some coding that I was working on to enable additional functions. Had a few releases in beta when I sold the company.

There are a few threads on this forum from 2012 that are related to the chipset's capabities with HMCD, VCM and some other things that I was working on. Hard to believe that it has been 10 years since I started the microhd development and 8 years since it was released!

Need some help. What is the difference between DVB-S2 (QPSK) and DVB-S2 (HBCD) modulation?

Asking for a friend..........................;)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Here are the new PIDs for that mux now!

WSJX 0101/0102/0001
WVGN 0201/0202/0002
This 0301/0302/0003
This data is in hexadecimal, not decimal numbers.

Below is translation into decimal numbers in the order of VPID/APID/SID
WSJX 257/258/1
WVGN 513/514/2
This 769/770/3

This data agrees with lyngsat and other sites. You should enter the decimal numbers using your editor if the data doesn't scan in correctly.

Reactions: Titanium
Well that explains that then? Wonder why that cheap china junk displays them in hex? And I thought I had a reason we couldn't lock that TP any more? Think I'm done now!! [rolleyes]

Thanks for the help guys!

:oldmad

I notice my newish cheap novelty receiver from across the western pond also displays PIDs in hex. I think it's more convenient for the developers since hex has a friendly relarionship with binary numbers and those are friendly with coding.

Well, I messed with one of my Micro HD receivers yesterday evening and at one point it DID scan in 4156 with correct PIDs but after that......NO VIDEO..... just like before. I've also done some stuff with an S9 but that one won't see it at all now?

Ennywho, with the first episode of The Blacklist for this coming season not airing until some time late in September this WVGN feed may come back like it has done before, at least I'm hoping that's what will happen.

According to Lyngsat, WVGN has been replaced by WNBC from New York with same PIDs as WVGN on 4156 MHz.

I'm interested in your problem. This morning I've been playing in my satellite dish junkyard and I may be able to install my Perfect 7.5-foot C-band dish in a fixed condition (no motor). If so, then 99W is the first satellite I'd try for with my micro HD once I sourced a Titanium C1-PLL LNB.

SR of WNBC is different than WVGN. Did you delete old transponder and blind scan in? Can you receive WSJX and THIS TV OK?

The lock and blind scan on 4156 H 5790 with the Micro HD was after I DELETED all channels and TPs on 99w. Deleted all of them then shut down and power off for 1 minute then rebooted and did the blind scan afterwards and 4156 H 5790 showed up with the 3 channels. BTW, this was done on that Unimesh system I have which is not my "A" system. The channels that scanned in are NOT listed by name, only by ch 1, ch 2, ch 3 etc but NO video lock on any of the 3 after the scan.

You say that the SR of WNBC is different from WVGN? Am I missing something here? Isn't that SR number the second number after the TP, ie, 5790? Frequency 4156 H SR 5790? Is that right?

Note that WNBC is NOT listed on their website? And WSJX is now WSJP.

Yeah, I've also been reading on other forums looking for answers and there are none.

Had something different happen yesterday though. My "A" system has an S9 on it so I took my spare Micro HD and put it on that system and low and behold when it booted up WVGN came in as soon as video came on??? In fact, all 3 channels on 4156 locked?? That's the good news!! Bad news is after having WVGN on for a couple of minutes I moved OFF that TP to another channel, then back to WVGN and "NADDA, ZIP, ZILCH"??? Another WTF moment!

Like I said up the page, my favorite TV program's new season doesn't start until late September/early October so maybe it will fix itself by then since I've literally done everything I could think of to try to get those receivers to lock it consistenly without success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)