Monday's update for SIRIUS (Mazda owners)

tankerman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Northeastern Maryland
Well, after 3 days, and four 30+ minute calls to Sirius. I think we finally have some help on the way.

I guess I'm the only person in this forum with this problem.

My Mazda factory radio has been flashing "updating" since Tuesday morning.
After some searching on the internet, I found that everyone with this model radio is having the same problem.

On my last phone call to Sirius today, they finally admitted that THEY did something wrong. Bad software, I guess?

They said the radio should be working again by Sat or Sunday.
They are giving me a one week extention on that subscription.

They also gave me a special phone number to call on Monday morning, if it's still not working.

If anyone else is in need of this phone number, send me a PM, and I'll give it to you.

Could send me the number? I have exactly the same problem. They told me to go to the dealer to "get the tuner reset." I don't have any confidence that they're going to be able to correct this screwup.

Please keep posting updates. I bought a CX-7 on Friday and have been perplexed all weekend. On Saturday I got channel 184 briefly. But when I went to figure out how to turn on service, I couldn't get anything but "UPDATING" to show up.

Does anyone know where the SIRIUS module is located ?

Thanks for the update, I've been getting the same "Updating" message since last week. Like everyone else, the first couple of phone calls to Sirius didn't result in anything and they suggested to take it to my Dealership to get a master reset. Needless to say, the Dealership didn't know what that was and as it stands, I think I'll just do the wait and see game. Luckily, my salesman actually comped me a six month subscription, so at least I am not out any money on this and it may be a deciding factor if I actually extend the subscription when it become due, if it ever starts working again.

I'll be checking back here to see what everyone else has heard. Again thanks for posting, I haven't been able to get any answers anywhere but on the internet (and not at Sirius' website).

Nat

Atlanta, GA

Sounds like a factory radio issue as opposed to a Sirius issue; or maybe a combo. Are all the makers of the Mazda radio the same?

This is an issue with only a small percentage of a certain model Mazda factory radio.
It doesn't affect any other radios. In fact I have a Dodge Power Wagon, with a factory radio. It took the update with no problems.

SIRIUS would like contact info for anyone that this is affecting.
Send me a PM for the special phone number for Tech Support.
Or you can call the regular SIRIUS phone number.
Either way please call. Make your voices heard.

Update for Mon 10/2:
Still "updating". I made my daily phone call.
Tech Support says that they are still trying to fix the problem.
Mazda engineers are now working with SIRIUS on this.

Oh, and all you folks with 1 post.
Welcome to the site!

I know this is f*#@ed up. But hang in there. I truely believe that they are working on it.

I have a CX-7 and have been going back and forth with Sirius and Mazda for over a week. Sirius finally admits that they have a problem with certain Mazda recievers, mine is a Sanyo. It's not a reset issue, my guess it's hardware not software and most likely the chip set in certain recievers. Once the problem is determined Mazda will issue a tech bulletin and it will be handled through the dealerships. I'm assuming they will have to swap out the recievers. Good luck.

VMG said:
I have a CX-7 and have been going back and forth with Sirius and Mazda for over a week. Sirius finally admits that they have a problem with certain Mazda recievers, mine is a Sanyo. It's not a reset issue, my guess it's hardware not software and most likely the chip set in certain recievers. Once the problem is determined Mazda will issue a tech bulletin and it will be handled through the dealerships. I'm assuming they will have to swap out the recievers. Good luck.

Keep us updated on your theory. SIRIUS Tech Support has told me it's just a software glitch. They've said that one morning, very soon, you will start your car, and your radio will actually update, and everything will be fine.

I hope you're right, but judging by the different stories I've been told from Sirius (I've called 8 times) they have little credibility with me. I hope we'll know by the end of the week.

I have an '06 Mazda 3, and am having this same issue. Tried calling Sirius mutiple times and have done multiple things to try and resolve this issue. Still have the "updating screen of death" blinking on my readout. I am about to blow a gasket...any help would be appreciated.

Tankerman, I pm'ed you for that phone number. Please send it over when you get the message.

Update Tues 10/3

I was told that SIRIUS and Mazda are trying to rewrite new software to correct the problem.

I was issued a 1 month extention on my subscription for that vehicle.

If any of you are new to SIRIUS, just try to hang in there for just a little longer.
I've been a subscriber for about a year and a half, and this is the first problem that I've encountered.
SIRIUS is normally a great service, that's worth every penny.

Keep calling Tech Support every day. Soon they will get tired of us.

I just talked to a Sirius representative....I have heard so many stories from these folks but here is the latest...

She said they receive daily email updates about this issue, and the latest one she received said that Sirius is fully aware of the issue and they are working with Mazda to resolve it. She also stated that this has ONLY affected Mazda 3's, which I am pretty sure is BS. You can see someone in the forum with a CX7 experiencing the issue...She couldn't give a definitive timeframe on resolution. She did take down my email address because supposedly they are going to refund people having the issue for the inconvenience...we shall see.......

That's all I have for now...Let us all know if you get anymore info.

I also doubt that it only the 3's because many models share the same radio system, BUT the bottom line is this is a factory radio issue not a Sirius-wide software issue and I wouldn't expect many base Sirius CSRs to be very schooled in the details. As some stated above a bad chipset in the radio is the likely cause. The real beef should be directed at the radio's manufacturer(s) and you should be patient with Sirius.

An email that I just received from SIRIUS

Dear SIRIUS Satellite Radio Subscriber:

It has come to our attention that some subscribers have experienced
interruption of service during our latest channel update. The
interruptions occurred after a system-wide upgrade that we downloaded to all SIRIUS
receivers last week, including a revised channel line-up. And while it
affected only a small number of receivers, we know that this offers
little comfort if one of them is yours.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Please know
that we are working with our automotive and electronics manufacturing
partners to resolve the problem as quickly as possible and get back to
delivering you the more than 130 channels of music, sports, talk and
entertainment that you've come to expect and enjoy.

Again, we apologize for this inconvenience and ask for your patience as
we repair the problem. We will continue to keep you informed as we
learn more and will update you no later than the end of the week. Thank you
for subscribing to SIRIUS. The Best Radio On Radio.

Sincerely,

Michael Moore
VP/Customer Service

This problem is not limited to 3's and 7's - I just bought a new 2007 MX5 Miata GT and I am having the same issue.

When I got the car they forgot the documentation for Sirius so I called to get information on how to retrieve my ESN as the unit was just flashing "UPDATING" and pressing the ESN button does nothing. The dealership told me to bring the car back in so they could pull the unit and get the serial number off of the back.

After half a day at the dealership we were told that it was an issue between Sirius and Mazda and that it would start working in a few days.

As of 9:30pm EST, October 3rd - no change - still flashing "UPDATING"

Mazda Sirius Info

My industrious Mazda mechanic has taken it upon himself (way to go! Whitten Bros Mazda) to contact Mazda and find out what he needs to do to rectify my problem with Sirius(constant updating). They told him Friday 10/6. We'll see. He also told me that Mazda has ordered to stop putting Sirius satellite radio in their vehicles. Way to go Sirius you dumb arses. I would venture to guess that Mazda is a fairly large client along with all the people that won't renew their free 6 month subscriptions. Part of the reason for this is the sorry customer service Sirius have given to subscribers calling in and their inability to give Mazda a straight answer. As a stock holder in Sirius for the past two years(OK, only 2000 shares), I would have expected a little more enthusiastic support. The problem appears to be with CX-7, Miata and Mazda 3 owners. Maybe more. Get it right Sirius! Great product, sprinkle a little sincere customer support on top!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts