Motion blur

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
Why does it occur? I'm pretty sure the problem starts at the source. Some HD is crystal clear while other times it's pretty bad. If the program starts out crystal clear it won't degrade. But if it starts out bad it stays bad and it's really hard to watch.

My local FOX station, when broadcasting network programs, is always really clear. No motion blur. Doesn't matter if it's OTA or Sat, quality is the same.

Just wondering. For reference I have a 622 set to 1080I via HDMI into a Samsung ln52a630.

Google: HD motion blur. You will find lots of detailed information regarding it.

"Garbage In, Garbage Out"

The Superbowl off CBS was gorgeous. Crystal clear. And at the one point, the very end with all the confetti flowing, I expected a lot of motion blur. NONE. The Olympics on the other hand were horrible, NBC. One night after eating dinner, food plays a big part here, I tried to watch Short Track skating and nearly puked. The motion blur was so bad even off OTA direct, that it made me nauseous. And after the Olympics were over it took NBC a couple of days to flip the right switched to get things back in order and in doing so, the picture has been very pixely since. Especially in situations that are prime for motion blur and noise. And they use to be one of the good one. They just can't seem to get back to a good picture. Plus I have noticed that lots of DISH channels are not as good as they use to be. I have a Samsung 1080p DLP that is just incredible. Even if you feed it junk, it does a really great job of cleaning stuff up. So here the axiom of "Garbage In, Garbage Out" really comes into play. It really has to be Garbage for me to noticed and I have been seeing a lot of garbage lately.

It also depends on your local station compression. I get OTA from a different location vs. my satellite HD locals. The satellite HD locals blow the OTA out of the water for motion blur (pixelation). At least for my local NBC.

It also depends on your local station compression. I get OTA from a different location vs. my satellite HD locals. The satellite HD locals blow the OTA out of the water for motion blur (pixelation). At least for my local NBC.

That is so the truth. Especially when resolution is involved:
NBC 1080i
CBS 1080i
CW/Fox 1080i
ABC 720p

The Field Super, please see quote below, that came out to look at my 129 issue, spent two hours switching between OTA Direct, OTA DISH and DISH Locals, saying that he was very appreciative for the opportunity to actually see what I and others had been complaining about in regard to Locals. And at the time there was a dynamic difference between OTA Direct and DISH anything local. We analyzed black density and highlights. Shadows and the lot. OTA Direct won hands down. He supposedly took this info back to DISH and . . . I sent him the link to these forums, of which . . .

"I thank you for the information, especially the link to problems customers have experienced (the link to Satellite Guys). However; I thought about some of the things, and went looking for some answers. It didn't make me very popular, and my job has been eliminated. Today, I am working my last day in this position.

There are a couple of options for me, if I want to stay with Dish. But, I am inclined to look for new adventures elsewhere."

So the good die young at DISH and things don't get fixed. . . .

Fox is 720p, NBC & CBS look the best for me for football, fox is pretty close... I really can't complain about any of the Satellite provided HD Locals as far as PQ and the CBS & ABC really look stellar OTA (No FOX ava and NBC is passed through SD)

A 720p transmission OTA can tolerate a 480i subchannel with no visable degradation, but a 1080i channel cannot.

A good 1080i broadcast requires the full 6 MHz bandwidth allotted per channel, otherwise they have to bit starve the picture a bit and you will see a little motion blur when the whole screen changes.

My NBC 1080i has a 480i subchannel and even on very high quality shows like the Tonight Show, when the whole frame changes quickly there is noticable softness in the picture for a half of a second or so.

My CBS station runs 1080i alone and Letterman never exhibits such behavior, but I still don't watch him much.

The only channel here that has any motion blur is the local CBS OTA. It is the only one with a subchannel. The Olympics on my local NBC OTA looked stunnning!

Motion blur is caused by the receiver(TV set). You may be referring to macroblocking. Almost all present sets have motion blur except DLP and CRT. It is because the response times of the plasma/lcd is not fast enough. CRT is about 10 times faster and DLP is about 100 times faster. Motion blur is really only visible on slowly moving things (where the compression doesn't macroblock it), such as a closeup of an actors face that slightly moves. You'll see the resolution really drop off during the movement. Motion blur is present in film and is what makes it look so smooth and lifelike. Film does not macroblock.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)