motor puzzler

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
I have a Viewsat Ultra. While rescanning a couple satellites, the ability for the receiver to automatically move the motor from one satellite to another has been lost. I can, however, move the motor one "click" at a time...so the motor is not fried. I also replaced the Ultra with a Coolsat 4000, it will move the motor though USALS no problem.
What is a bit strange is I tried a second Ultra that I have and it has the same problem.
Here are a few things I've tried to get the Ultra to move the motor again:
1.factory reset
2.reload latest factory file
3.scan two satellites about 30 dergrees apart, and attempt to let the receiver move the motor automatically.
4.made sure the "limits" east and west are disabled...
5.jump up and down and scream....

Like I said, the motor is working because I've made it move with the Coolsat.
I've had the Ultras for a few years now, they've worked flawlessly up until now.
Does anyone think I should try to reset the motor in it's true east position? the reason I ask, is I'll have to set up a ladder in the snow...I might wait for better weather to try this.

any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated...
~Q

Last edited:
With the Motor off center, say 20 degrees, try the Go To Zero option, see if it does go to zero.
Double check what you have entered for your USALS location - North and West.

thanks...
this is an operation that I have to perform at the motor?
It'll have to wait til better weather...
or is this something I do at the receiver??
thanks tho...
(I'm certain Ihave the correct data entered for usals)
~Q

Quasi,

What Lak7 mentioned can be performed via the receiver from inside. Use the menus and when you select "GO TO ZERO" the receiver should command the motor to drive HOME or to the reference position (center of its travel) and look for the home position prox (or REED switch). Basically, if the motor for some reason has lost its bearing, you use this command to reset it. It just needs to determine where HOME is and it can start over and find its way to all the satellites once again since it knows a reference position.

EDIT: Some receivers might have this option titled as "GO TO ZERO" or "HOME" or "GO TO REFERENCE". Something akin to this.

The second item that Lak7 mentioned is also accessed via the remote. Since most receivers are manufactured or programmed in the orient, like in Korea or China, they default to EAST longitude coordinates. We need this set to WEST. Sometimes this is overlooked and if not set properly, the motor will not move. If you have been editing your channel/satellite list, this could be a very possible error to overlook. It's one of those settings that you often take for granted that it will always remain set for you, and you just don't suspect it. You take a quick glance at the DEGREE position and almost ignore whether it is showing E or W.

I have done this myself. I was thinking about all sorts of other parameters that I totally ignored this one. I find that my motor isn't moving and then I look and find that the longitude is set to EAST. "How did that happen?" "Oh...." "Duh! I did that when I reset this..." It was EuroSport's fault! I was looking at his avatar and totally lost myself! LOL. Distractions, distractions! :)

I hope that your trouble is this easy to remedy. There could be other reasons, but ensure that you check for these dumb human errors first. It's so easy to overlook the things that we take for granted so often. If this is it, don't feel bad. Feel lucky as this would be an easy fix.

RADAR

thanks Radar-
I've tried these easy fixes and still no auto movement.
what puzzles me most is that the Coolsat will move the dish from one satellite to another, and both the Viewsats won't.
there's a glitch here somewhere...I haven't a clue where to go from here.
I've even tried disconnecting the cable and shutting off the receiver in the back overnight in hopes there is some sort of problem with current...I'm fairly new to all this, realize it isn't rocket science...but still it just doesn't make sence.
I've enjoyed the way the Ultra has operated up until now...I like the feature of being able to fine tune the signal while the picture is full screen.
any other ideas?

thanks Radar-
I've tried these easy fixes and still no auto movement.
what puzzles me most is that the Coolsat will move the dish from one satellite to another, and both the Viewsats won't.
there's a glitch here somewhere...I haven't a clue where to go from here.
I've even tried disconnecting the cable and shutting off the receiver in the back overnight in hopes there is some sort of problem with current...I'm fairly new to all this, realize it isn't rocket science...but still it just doesn't make sence.
I've enjoyed the way the Ultra has operated up until now...I like the feature of being able to fine tune the signal while the picture is full screen.
any other ideas?

Well, obviously it seems to be a receiver problem (or difference). Since the Coolsat drives the motor, but the ViewSats don't. But this may be be misleading.

Try this, if you don't mind the extra work. Take your receivers directly to the dish and connect them straight to the motor (no switches) via a short RG6 cable. Test the motor functions this way and lets see what results you get. Sorry to say, it is difficult to just guess at the problem. But, we have some clues to work from. The possibilites are the settings (motor control parameters), current (as in power) availability from the receiver (I doubt this) or cabling troubles that limit the current for the motor (I doubt this, too). Anything is possible, but I want to lean towards a setting error. But, I cannot see why or how there could be two Viewsats that faile to move the motor due to a setup error, so that bugs me.

Do you have a spare motor that you can connect in the house? Just to see if all the receivers can move it? I am scratching my brain here for ideas. You are right, it doesn't seem to make a lot of logical sense. We are missing something here.

I do know that the Coolsats (the older ones) were capable of controlling external devices that required more power. But, I have not heard of anyone having trouble like this with the Viewsats. So, maybe it is a combination of more than one thing.

I will have to think this one over. If I come to some enlightenment, I will let you know.

RADAR

correction:
the coolsat is NOT moving the motor either....
I thought it was, but afer checking it out more carefully I've discovered that it isn't doing anything automatically either.
as far as going up on the roof goes, it's 30 ft. up a ladder and on to a snowing roof...I'll have to do what I can from the inside for at least another month or so.
I'll keep working on it, will post back if I find anything out.
thanks so much for all your help....
~Q

quasi: Stay off the roof!! LOL
You'll be doing the Chevy Chase routine out of "Christmas Vacation"! If the receivers work right scanning one satellite at a time, I think I'd be happy with that. At least until the snow thaws. Be careful.

ya, thanks tubo-
I'm 60 now...when I was in my 30's -50's I used to rock and ice climb.
a snowy roof posed no problem to me...I've climbed 3,000 vertical walls...covered with black ice...but the very thought of it makes my old arthritic bones cry out for an electric blanket!!!!
I'll figure this out one way or another, but the main thing is to stay alive while doing it.
maybe once I've let things settle a bit I can think a little more clearly about it all.
thanks again all for all the insights...some things just can't be fixed overnight.

I have same problem but with nano & x-factor.
My S9 is doing good. All 3 were made in asia.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts