Motorola 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skitheberks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
CT
When I purchased a Winegard OTA antenna from Skyvision I received a catalog stating that my analog C-band programming will cease in Feb 2009 on channels 1 - 24. I know about the DTV for the OTA signals, but I did not think it applied to C-band analog.

I have been thinking about what to do. Currently the dish is used for TBS and CNN and a PBS feed. I am getting a little confused on this.

I do not want an assortment of receivers to watch TV. I do not want to spend a lot of money to uprgade. Growing up with a big dish, you experience a lot of them that took place in the 1980's!

At first I thought about making this a FTA system, and then taking it down and placing a Dish 500 on the pole for a Dish Essential package, and then upgrading it to a Ku only and purchasing a Motorola DSR-410 and parking the dish and now my latest is a question.

Can I just by a Motorola 4DTV receiver and keep my C-band only system the way it is?

and then upgrading it to a Ku only and purchasing a Motorola DSR-410 and parking the dish and now my latest is a question.

Can I just by a Motorola 4DTV receiver and keep my C-band only system the way it is?
Yes
The Motorola DSR 410 was being prepared for ku programming on X4 (G16 ku), but if you haven't heard, that has fallen through, as the X4 ku DCII signals will disappear in a couple of months. These same channels have been re-located to C-Band on W5 @ 105.0w. The DSR 410 is now being re-programmed to accept C-Band and W5 for this programming. You could get a DSR 410 for these channels, but if you're going for 4dtv, I would suggest getting a DSR 922 for this purpose. The 922 will drive the actuator and control the polarity, I don't know enough about the 410, but I don't think it will drive an actuator or a servo motor?

Get a DSR 922 hook it to your c band dish and be done. The whole world will open up again with channels to subscribe to in DCII format. If your looking for a used reciever vs new to keep cost down try ebay.

As far as analog c band being gone in 2009. This is probably true for VCII, I think some feeds & shopping channels will still be there.

I tried a former big dish dealer on my way back from my ski trip this weekend. He did not have any or knew where to locate one.

I would prefer to buy locally if I am buying preowned. There is a few satellite dealers that now sell Dish network up in southern VT / NH that I am going to call to see if they have a preowned or maybe a new one sitting on a shelf. You never know.

I have had good results with two used dsr-905 sidecars. One I have had for 4 years and no problems. The other I have had since christmas.
Keeping the receivers cool is the key to the battery living long I think.

The battery can last from 7-10 years sometimes more sometimes less, a used 922 with the Motorola name on it would be ok, one with the GI logo mite be a bit old, a used 920 is just asking for trouble.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)