Mounting Poles

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GutBomb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Denver, CO, USA
Ok, I know this isn't exclusively FTA but The guys I trust hang out here so hopefully you'll be able to help me. I've moved to a new apartment and the balcony faces south however there is now an overhang that makes mounting the dish on the standard mounting pole impossible. actually I can mount it but getting a signal is impossible because the overhang blocks out half of the dish.

I saw another apartment in the same complex as mine with the same overhang with 2 directv dishes up there. Instead of mounting the way I had before with the included mounting arm, they had a pole that was stright up from the railing instead of going back and then up.

I already know my 30" is a lost cause and is going to have to go into storage until I move into a house, but I still need my DirecTV dish because I have 6 months left on my contract with them.

My plan is to go to lowes tonight and get the pole (and u-bolts I need to hold the pole to the balcony railing) but I do not know what diameter of pole I need, and I am not going to be able to get home before going to lowes. Can anyone tell me the proper diameter for a directv dish mounting pole?

Also if you guys have any other ideas or solutions to my predicament I am all ears :)

thanks PSB you rock. I am so upset that I'll have to put FTA on hold for a while. I was just getting hooked on all those feeds. The racing and College Football feeds in particular.

That is tough! I have had the same problem in the past : ( And face it often when I am asked to install where there are overhangs! I have lost more installs to overhangs than trees and buildings!

I called a pipe place and they asked the diameter and i said 1 5/8ths. they said "oh that's a 1 1/4th on the inside. he said that pipes are always measured from the inside rather than the outside. I just wanted to make sure he's correct because I can find TONS of 1 1/4th inch pipe around. i couldn;t find anybody carrying 1 5/8ths inch.

I alway use the O/Dia. but I think they do list it as the I.Dia. I just measure the O/Dia. when I buy it.

$18 and 20 minutes of my time and it worked perfectly! I got the pipe (1 1/4" galvanized steel) and u-bolts to hold it up against my railing at Lowes. Now I get a perfect signal on all 3 directv sats. (90+). I'll have to go back and get another and another 18" dish because directv finally is offering my locals here. thanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)