Moving a Genie to a cabin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hokie74

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I searched but only found discussions on moving older receivers. We moved from Kentucky to Colorado last year. I was a long time DirecTV customer but decided to try Century Link with Prism TV. After 8 months I found I could get DirecTV through Century Link at a lower price that Prism.

I switched and the install went fine.I got an HR44 and one client with a wireless bridge. I asked the installer if I could install at second dish at my cabin that is about 75 air miles away and he said it was technically feasible. Yesterday I chatted with a tech at Solid Signal and he said you can move the older receivers like the H24/HR24 but not a Genie. I obviously will not ever be using the service at more than one location.

So who is right? Is it technically feasible or just plain will not work?

Works fine. You just need an SWM setup at your cabin, then take the HR44 with you.

Works fine. You just need an SWM setup at your cabin, then take the HR44 with you.
Thanks for the reply. Figured I would need to duplicate the setup. Do you know if the HR-44 will power the LNB or do I need to get a power supply and bring it in through the red port on a splitter like my home installation? I won't need a DECA since I do not have internet at the cabin.

Thanks for the reply. Figured I would need to duplicate the setup. Do you know if the HR-44 will power the LNB or do I need to get a power supply and bring it in through the red port on a splitter like my home installation? I won't need a DECA since I do not have internet at the cabin.
It needs a separate power inserter. IIRC, the HR54 and H44 have built in power inserters, the HR34 and HR44 do not.

It needs a separate power inserter. IIRC, the HR54 and H44 have built in power inserters, the HR34 and HR44 do not.
Interesting. Thanks. I was supposed to get a 4k setup but since I wanted the C61 client to be wireless the installer said I couldn't do 4K over the wireless bridge. He must have swapped the main box out to an HR44. I didn't realize at the time that only the clients can do 4K and not the HR54.

I can add the power inserter and the splitter in my utility room or at the receiver.

Interesting. Thanks. I was supposed to get a 4k setup but since I wanted the C61 client to be wireless the installer said I couldn't do 4K over the wireless bridge. He must have swapped the main box out to an HR44. I didn't realize at the time that only the clients can do 4K and not the HR54.

I can add the power inserter and the splitter in my utility room or at the receiver.
You have to have the HR54 AND the c61k to do 4k, the HR44 won't do the 4k. Its just the one I listed that does 4k, none of the older ones will.

If he gave you a HR44 then your c61k is not doing 4k for you.

If you want 4k, call them and have them get you a HR54 (or the HS17, but its not recommended in your instance).
IF you had this installed recently, I'd call them quickly to get the right equipment out to you.

IF you ga=et the HR54 and have the C61k client, if you determined that you NEED 4k at the cabin, you could actually take BOTH the HR44/54 And the c61k client and use it up there.

If you want 4k, call them and have them get you a HR54 (or the HS17, but its not recommended in your instance).
IF you had this installed recently, I'd call them quickly to get the right equipment out to you.

IF you ga=et the HR54 and have the C61k client, if you determined that you NEED 4k at the cabin, you could actually take BOTH the HR44/54 And the c61k client and use it up there.

That's a long story. The installer didn't explain to me that the Genie doesn't do 4K output. Only the C61K client does. I had coax to the location where I wanted to have 4K. I figured that by installing the wireless bridge to the client I could still have 4K on the Genie. After he left I noticed I had an HR44 instead of an HR54. I called and chatted multiple times and finally they agreed to send me an HR54. When I got the new box it was another HR44. I called about that and finally got in touch with someone who could explain that only the C61K client can do 4K.

So I sent back the HR44 they had shipped me right before I left town for a couple of weeks. When I get back next week I am going to call them and tell them they need to send me an HR54 and a 4K client if I don't already have one. I think the coax is already in the wall behind the TV with the client. I will fish it out and use it for the client so I can ditch the wireless bridge I paid $99 for.

What surprised me was how the installer and agents I talked to downplayed 4K saying things like there is really very little content and it doesn't make much difference anyway. One of the several reasons I ditched Prism TV is they do not do 4K and apparently have no plans to add it.

And go Buckeyes!

That's a long story. The installer didn't explain to me that the Genie doesn't do 4K output. Only the C61K client does. I had coax to the location where I wanted to have 4K. I figured that by installing the wireless bridge to the client I could still have 4K on the Genie. After he left I noticed I had an HR44 instead of an HR54. I called and chatted multiple times and finally they agreed to send me an HR54. When I got the new box it was another HR44. I called about that and finally got in touch with someone who could explain that only the C61K client can do 4K.

So I sent back the HR44 they had shipped me right before I left town for a couple of weeks. When I get back next week I am going to call them and tell them they need to send me an HR54 and a 4K client if I don't already have one. I think the coax is already in the wall behind the TV with the client. I will fish it out and use it for the client so I can ditch the wireless bridge I paid $99 for.

What surprised me was how the installer and agents I talked to downplayed 4K saying things like there is really very little content and it doesn't make much difference anyway. One of the several reasons I ditched Prism TV is they do not do 4K and apparently have no plans to add it.

And go Buckeyes!
Well, in reality, there isn't much 4k on D*, channels 104,105 and 106 are 4k, but 106 is a PPV or special type 4k channel.

However, thats 3 more channels than the other guys have.

Well, in reality, there isn't much 4k on D*, channels 104,105 and 106 are 4k, but 106 is a PPV or special type 4k channel.

However, thats 3 more channels than the other guys have.

I would want 4K for sporting events. I think they had a 4K channel for the US Open but I couldn't see it of course. :)

They didn't have a 4K channel for the US Open, they just took over 106 (and maybe 105 also?) during the event, same thing they do for all 4K events currently. I'm surprised that not only are there not any real 4K channels (i.e. from an actual popular channel people want to see in 4K, not a list of made up crap that no provider carries like SES has) but we haven't even seen any announcements or rumors of something like HBO, ESPN, FS1, etc. going 4K.

I was told last year that Directv planned to begin using reverse band in Q3 2018, and assumed that meant some of their providers would have 4K feeds around that time. But if someone was going to do that you'd think you would have heard of it by now. Maybe 2019...

Can anyone ID my dish and LNB? I was wondering if it matters which dish/SWM I buy for the cabin? (I don't have a 4K TV there right now. I might down the road.)

Thanks for all the replies. You folks are very helpful.

Attachments

• DTVDish.JPG
    DTVDish.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 208
Can anyone ID my dish and LNB? I was wondering if it matters which dish/SWM I buy for the cabin? (I don't have a 4K TV there right now. I might down the road.)

Thanks for all the replies. You folks are very helpful.
Well, I can give you the basics, its a SWM SL 3 or 5

If you go to the Menu/ Settings / Info and Test / Genie Info and scroll down it will tell you if its a 3 or a 5 (majority are 3)
If you want 4k make it a SWM SL 3RB ...

Some of the other may be able to give you the actual model numbers.

Don't forget, you'll also want a Power Insertor for the cabin as well, unless you get one that is built in.

Don't forget, you'll also want a Power Insertor for the cabin as well, unless you get one that is built in.
Yes, I have already planned to buy a power inserter and a 4 port splitter. I can add a DECA later if I get broadband.

Status
Please reply by conversation.