MPEG 2 Shutoffs Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sundude90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Waterville, Maine, United States
The following channels have had there MPEG 2 Version shut off this morning as of 6am EST: Showtime, Universal HD & HDNet Movies on Channels 71, 74 and 78.

You will need the latest HD Receivers and KAKU dish to view the MPEG 4 Format of those channels.

Will or shouldn't this give D* more bandwidth for more HD :)

Yes, if they were going to continue to have HD on the 110 and 119 satellites, but that's not the plan. They're trying to get all their "Core" programming on the 99, 101 and 103 satellites which makes it easier to do installs since getting LOS to them is much easier then having to do 99/101/103/110 and 119.

Will or shouldn't this give D* more bandwidth for more HD :)

Yes, if they were going to continue to have HD on the 110 and 119 satellites, but that's not the plan. They're trying to get all their "Core" programming on the 99, 101 and 103 satellites which makes it easier to do installs since getting LOS to them is much easier then having to do 99/101/103/110 and 119.

John,
Also remember that all the channels in the 70's are simply remapped from other locations already in thier attempt to place the original HD channels in one location ...
therefore, NO I do not think this will save them any bandwidth.

Jimbo

John,
Also remember that all the channels in the 70's are simply remapped from other locations already in thier attempt to place the original HD channels in one location ...
therefore, NO I do not think this will save them any bandwidth.

Jimbo

Jimbo, not correct. The channels in the 70's are MPEG2 versions of channels and take additional bandwidth, the channels in the 200's are the MPEG4 versions and not just remaps.

Jimbo, not correct. The channels in the 70's are MPEG2 versions of channels and take additional bandwidth, the channels in the 200's are the MPEG4 versions and not just remaps.

Really ? :confused:
I always heard that the '70's were remapped from the 500's, mpeg 2 wise. To give the 70's HD ... Movie channels that is.
Aren't there still mpeg2 channels in the 500's or has that been finished now ?
I don't keep close info on them as I don't do many of the movie channels.

Jimbo

Last edited:

Thanks for the info...

I'm on CableVision at the moment but thinking I might wire up my hr21 boxes this weekend (I'm on suspended account till July)

I know I'll gain 2x the hd and about the same in PQ but I fear that my wife and I will miss the great TiVo search features which is why we switched back to cable. But my cable co is delaying the sdv adapters (ahhh sorry wrong forum huh)

So not sure if I save some money and sell my TiVo boxes 2 months old and reconnect with directv. Or sell tivo and pay huge etf with direct and go to dish, as they have a "better" dvr or do they?

Well sorry to hijack this thread :)

John

:down
The following channels have had there MPEG 2 Version shut off this morning as of 6am EST: Showtime, Universal HD & HDNet Movies on Channels 71, 74 and 78.

You will need the latest HD Receivers and KAKU dish to view the MPEG 4 Format of those channels.

Great that means us techs get to upgrade the rest of the idiots stuck in the mpeg2 world... woo hoo:down

:down

Great that means us techs get to upgrade the rest of the idiots stuck in the mpeg2 world... woo hoo:down

Haven't you been doing that all along ???
Idiots ?
There are plenty of people that do not like change, like to keep what they want, have no reason (till now) to upgrade.
IF you don't have a HD TV yet, you have no reason to upgrade
Also, many cannot afford the extra money associated with an upgrade. Remember it cost an extra $ 10 a month for HD ...

Jimbo

I always heard that the '70's were remapped from the 500's, mpeg 2 wise. To give the 70's HD ... Movie channels that is.

Jimbo

They were remaps, until July 2008 when D11 came online. That is when Directv started MPEG4 versions of the 70's channels...

Jimbo

They were awhile ago, but when D11 went active all those remaps became MPEG4 versions and only the 70's were MPEG2 for the old receivers.

They were awhile ago, but when D11 went active all those remaps became MPEG4 versions and only the 70's were MPEG2 for the old receivers.

I'm glad you responded back, I was curious where I was wrong, after looking at your response, I realized that I was incorrect ....
as you said, it was that way, but has since changed.

Thanks guy :)

Jimbo

I'm glad you responded back, I was curious where I was wrong, after looking at your response, I realized that I was incorrect ....
as you said, it was that way, but has since changed.

Thanks guy :)

Jimbo

NP, hard to keep track of everything they do;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.