MS Exchange 2010 Info

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Can anyone recommend a good book I can get to QUICKLY bring myself up to speed on everything about MS Exchange 2010?

I started my new job today and I need to know it like the back of my hand very quick (2-3 weeks).

Yeah there is allot to Exchange heck there still stuff I'm still trying to do better but for the most part you can get most of the key functions down. Ok you might check these out I have used them in the past and they have allot of info and go over settings and configuring things as well.

Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out
Exchange Server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant is not bad either.
Exchange Server 2010 Best Practices

You can get those over at Amazon and good luck with your new job if you need any help with Exchange just PM me and I will try to help you out in areas I deal with.

Also, you need to learn PowerShell. You can do most things with the GUI, but some things you cannot and its WAY faster to do things with PS.

Also, you need to learn PowerShell. You can do most things with the GUI, but some things you cannot and its WAY faster to do things with PS.

Yeah PS good and like you said some things you have to use it. For me most time the GUI works fine and saves me from having to type things and worrying about having the correct syntax so forth. Overall just depends on what you are use to speed to me about the same I can click on things just as fast as I can type. :)

I like the recommended books. If you have any questions, you can PM me as well.
Been through several 2003-2007-2010 migrations, and currently admining a 2010 enviroment.

Real administrators use a command line ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Real administrators use whatever tool gets the job done, whether gui, command line, or pasting never-before-seen error message in google and hoping somebody else already figured it out.

I've been admin'ing Exchange since version 4.0 days, will be doing a migration to 2013 as soon as the required updates are out. I too am available if you need help with something.

Thanks everyone! I will keep that in mind. :)

I just finished my first "test" so to speak at my new job. I was tasked with reconfiguring two of our mailbox servers from 4GB to 8GB of RAM in VMWare. This involved having to migrate the database for these servers to one of the other servers (one at a time of course). I got each of those two servers reconfigured and everything is back up and the databases are back to where they should be.

I know Exchange 2010 will automatically failover the database when something happens to the server but I wanted to do that. It was an awesome feeling when I got done.

I know it sounds trivial to you guys but it was my first time doing something like this and it felt great getting it done. We are starting the final migration from 2007 to 2010 tomorrow evening and will finish it up during the day Thursday and Friday.

We're going to be adding a hub transport to an existing CAS array in Exchange 2010 tonight.

Does anyone know the command we need to run and also if you know of any good resources that I can look at?

Where is your existing Hub Transport? You should just be able to install HT on the new server/cluster, then duplicate the settings.

Bringing it down and creating a new one with our existing CAS array. The NLB is already in place as well as the CAS array. We're just wanting to incorporate our new HT into it.

I'm new at all of this so I apologize if I sound dumb. :)

We're migrating from 2007 to 2010.

Bringing it down and creating a new one with our existing CAS array. The NLB is already in place as well as the CAS array. We're just wanting to incorporate our new HT into it.

I'm new at all of this so I apologize if I sound dumb. :)

We're migrating from 2007 to 2010.

Oh no problem we all still have things to learn. Yeah at some point we need to migrate as well so sooner you can the better and good luck with everything I'm sure you guys will be fine once you get things rolling.

It really is as simple as installing HT on your new server, then copying the settings over (pretty much just the Receive connectors). All the other settings for HT (accepted domains, email address policies, send connectors) are all set at the Organization level and not dependent on a specific server.

You will also need to update your firewall to point to the new incoming server. Once thats done, uninstall HT on the old server.

Awesome, thanks StevenD!

I found out more info on what we're doing tonight and what we're doing Thursday and Friday. What you just told me is what we are doing Thursday during the day and you're right; we will be copying the settings for the HT from the old to the new. Sucks you can't just migrate the settings automatically unless you know of a way to do so.

What we are doing tonight is going over the steps for the CAS array. It's pretty much in place but we have to add the NLB settings for both servers. I've been looking at this: http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-install-an-exchange-server-2010-client-access-server-array

I'm sure I'll have more questions on this later today.

You can use powershell to "get-sendconnector" and "set-sendconnector", but its probably just as easy to do it with the GUI since its just a couple of settings.

I think I have the gist of it and fortunately the three of us will be on a conference call while two of us does this (the third person is the senior admin who is leaving in a week and a half and will be on the call to help).

Well it went pretty painless all the way to the end with just a few hiccups. My NLB worked just fine after one small hiccup (incorrect subnet mask) but that was easily fixed.

We got OWA back up well. I accidentally told both sites mailbox databases to point to my CAS array but another command resolved that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I will keep that in mind. :)

I just finished my first "test" so to speak at my new job. I was tasked with reconfiguring two of our mailbox servers from 4GB to 8GB of RAM in VMWare. This involved having to migrate the database for these servers to one of the other servers (one at a time of course). I got each of those two servers reconfigured and everything is back up and the databases are back to where they should be.

I know Exchange 2010 will automatically failover the database when something happens to the server but I wanted to do that. It was an awesome feeling when I got done.

I know it sounds trivial to you guys but it was my first time doing something like this and it felt great getting it done. We are starting the final migration from 2007 to 2010 tomorrow evening and will finish it up during the day Thursday and Friday.

Seriously, does VMWare require such a convoluted process? If one of my Hyper-V VMs needs more RAM, I just shut it down, change the number, and turn it back on.

Seriously, does VMWare require such a convoluted process? If one of my Hyper-V VMs needs more RAM, I just shut it down, change the number, and turn it back on.

Not in my experience. You can change the settings on the fly and restart the VM to take on the new settings. I did this Monday for an RHEL guest.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Kind of off topic but get a Microsoft BizSpark account they rock. (VM's are your friend when learning or i think so)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts