MS Exchange 2010 Info

We actually had more of an issue than we thought. We set our network load balancers (one for each of the two main sites) to unicast with one NIC. Nothing was getting out unfortunately. :(

We can't do multicast without a setting change on VMWare and we are reading up on it now.

We actually had more of an issue than we thought. We set our network load balancers (one for each of the two main sites) to unicast with one NIC. Nothing was getting out unfortunately. :(

We can't do multicast without a setting change on VMWare and we are reading up on it now.

Are you testing any of this before you go live? This type of basic stuff (no traffic) would be caught in testing.

Oh yes, it's still in testing for now. None of our mailboxes have been moved to Exchange 2010 though we are looking to start today.

Question for you guys: We did move the mailbox databases to the CAS arrays the other night. We don't appear to have issues with our Outlook 2007 and 2010 clients (and I suspect we won't since those versions do autoconfiguration). However we have Outlook 2003 on our terminal servers that a good chunk of our users use. We had a call this morning from one of our users saying her Outlook on the TS was telling her that the exchange server was unavailable. It would not connect to the existing exchange server but when I went to recreate her profile (as part of my troubleshooting before we noticed this) we entered in the CAS array name and it immediately connected and she has email.

When we set up the CAS array we reissued the CAS server a new IP and gave the array the old IP of the CAS server as to eliminate a lot of configuration changes.

Is this normal for Outlook 2003 clients?

Question for you guys: We did move the mailbox databases to the CAS arrays the other night. We don't appear to have issues with our Outlook 2007 and 2010 clients (and I suspect we won't since those versions do autoconfiguration). However we have Outlook 2003 on our terminal servers that a good chunk of our users use. We had a call this morning from one of our users saying her Outlook on the TS was telling her that the exchange server was unavailable. It would not connect to the existing exchange server but when I went to recreate her profile (as part of my troubleshooting before we noticed this) we entered in the CAS array name and it immediately connected and she has email.

When we set up the CAS array we reissued the CAS server a new IP and gave the array the old IP of the CAS server as to eliminate a lot of configuration changes.

Is this normal for Outlook 2003 clients?

You can use Outlook 2003 but there are some things it does not support so at some point I would suggest getting your clients updated when you can to newer version of Outlook due to there are things 2003 does not support so forth.. Looks like there are some ways to work around it but it sounds like this might be a issue with RPC Encryption which is enabled by default and not a issue with Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.

http://www.msexchange.org/blogs/wal...tlook-2003-clients-connection-issues-460.html

You said you created a new profile check for this setting on the clients that are having issues using Outlook 2003. This is the first thing I would check for to see if this is enable.

Outlook 2003

To manually update an existing Outlook 2003 profile so that it uses RPC encryption with Exchange 2010, follow these steps:
1.In Control Panel, open the Mail item.
2.Click Show Profiles.
3.Select your profile, and then click Properties.
4.Click E-mail Accounts.
5.Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
6.Select the Microsoft Exchange Server account, and then click Change.
7.In the dialog box that contains your mailbox server and user name, click More Settings.
8.In the Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box, click the Security tab.
9.Click to select the Encrypt data between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server check box, and then click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2006508

Last edited:
Here's another thing that's come up:

We have over 500 devices that connect to our Exchange via the OWA website. How can we set this up for their migration without having to manually change their settings? A lot of these are tablets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they were set up with a DNS name that you will just move to the new CAS. Eg: mail.companyname.com

If not, you are reconfiguring all those devices manually.

We're going to change the DNS setting for the old webmail site to point to the new webmail site.

Something that has come up: We are still in the process of migrating everything over to the Exchange 2010 environment. The mailboxes are all on the 2010 servers where we want them; the CAS/Hub arrays are up, and the only thing left is the hub transport rules to finally turn over everything to the 2010 environment.

For some reason the casarrays aren't doing what we thought they would do. I had to reboot one this morning (the one I thought no one was on as everyone connects to the first cas server). Once I rebooted it we started getting numerous calls about Outlooks not connecting to the Exchange server without either an Outlook reboot or a complete PC reboot.

Shouldn't the CASArray act like a load balancer and if one of the servers needs to be rebooted it fails over to the other CAS?

So we migrated our send/receive connectors last Tuesday with no problem. I did migrate all of our distribution groups over. Now we have a new problem; None of us can modify any of the distribution groups because it says it cannot find a couple of our security groups that are indeed there. We had this problem before that migration but the 2007 Exchange Management Console could take care of it.

How do I go about fixing this?

So we migrated our send/receive connectors last Tuesday with no problem. I did migrate all of our distribution groups over. Now we have a new problem; None of us can modify any of the distribution groups because it says it cannot find a couple of our security groups that are indeed there. We had this problem before that migration but the 2007 Exchange Management Console could take care of it.

How do I go about fixing this?

Are you running SP1? What about any RUs? This was a known problem that was fixed in SP1.

The About Microsoft Exchange 2010 shows this for the version if it helps: 14.02.0328.009

I just reread my message and left out a few details. The issue is we cannot modify the Message Delivery Restrictions for some of these groups. When we go to make the change when we click Apply is when we get the error.

Last edited:
I think I found it: For some reason this particular group (and I've seen this with a couple of others) has something set for this Attribute in AD: dLMemSubmitPerms

The groups in question had the security group that would error out in Exchange. I removed them from this attribute and now I can modify the delivery restrictions within the Exchange Management Console.

Last edited:
Have any of you Exchange Admins updated from Exchange 2010 SP2 to SP3? We're in the initial planning stages for this and our biggest concern is the AD Schema update that is required for SP3. Is there anything we need to look out for? AD Schema updates can be scary since you can't go back unless you do a restore from your backup.

Have any of you Exchange Admins updated from Exchange 2010 SP2 to SP3? We're in the initial planning stages for this and our biggest concern is the AD Schema update that is required for SP3. Is there anything we need to look out for? AD Schema updates can be scary since you can't go back unless you do a restore from your backup.

No. Its on the list, because I would like to add an Exchange 2013 server, but hasnt been a priority.

Schema updates aren't scary. Ive never seen one fail or cause any major problem. All it does is add/update a few fields that the new software needs. We actually add our own fields to the schema as well.

No. Its on the list, because I would like to add an Exchange 2013 server, but hasnt been a priority.

Schema updates aren't scary. Ive never seen one fail or cause any major problem. All it does is add/update a few fields that the new software needs. We actually add our own fields to the schema as well.

Good to hear. Its just one of those things that we have to be wary of since you cannot reverse it gracefully if something goes amiss.

We are doing maintenance Monday evening anyway as we noticed everything but two of our mailbox servers are on SP2 RU6, and the two mailbox servers in question are still on base SP2.

It sounds like you have a relatively small environment, so you can always just shut down one of your DCs before you do the schema update. It would be a lot easier to revert to that DC than performing an authoritative restore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)