MS Exchange 2010 Info

We have a total of 4 DCs between our two main locations.

Yes, that's relatively small. Like I said, you could just shut down one of your DCs during the upgrade. However, a schema update is usually harmless.

If we did that, once we verify that the schema is working great would the DC we turned off update itself once we bring it back online?

I installed SP3 (with the schema update) on my test domain at home. Had no issues. The schema update took less than 3 mins to run.

I think Im going to deploy Exchange 2013 now.

Be aware that they got rid of Exchange 2010's really nice administration interface and replaced it in 2013 with a slow-as-crap website that doesn't do half as much. Just about everything useful, you've got to figure out how to script in PowerShell.

I installed a 2013 on my network, have yet to figure out how, or in what order, to migrate anything to it.

Seems Microsoft is moving backward lately.

Be aware that they got rid of Exchange 2010's really nice administration interface and replaced it in 2013 with a slow-as-crap website that doesn't do half as much. Just about everything useful, you've got to figure out how to script in PowerShell.

I installed a 2013 on my network, have yet to figure out how, or in what order, to migrate anything to it.

Seems Microsoft is moving backward lately.

Actually, they are encouraging you to use PowerShell, which I'm perfectly OK with.

We're upgrading two of our mailbox servers this evening with the RU6 update since for some reason my predecessor decided not to when he updated the other servers in our Exchange 2010 environment with it before he left. We are also migrating our last send/receive connector (this one requires a software/service install as it's for our efax), so after tonight we should be totally on Exchange 2010 for everything. We are also turning on the DAC option.

One thing we are fighting is one of our mailbox servers (one that is already on RU6) keeps dumping the copy of the mailbox database it's supposed to house every early morning right after our McAfee kicks off its update, dumping it to the other mailbox server in that location. None of the other 3 mailbox servers do the same thing. All 4 mailbox servers have the same specs. It's been a pain to try to troubleshoot.

We have a split configuration on our Exchange environment. One home office is able to send/receive email just fine. The other site can receive, but sending email is hit or miss, and when it's not working email is getting stuck in the Outbox folder in Outlook. It's affecting multiple versions of Outlook.

Our CAS servers in both locations are also our HUB servers. There's nothing in the event logs pointing to an issue and all the relevant services are running. Rebooting the CAS servers in the site that's affected has not resolved the issue.

Any ideas?

Ugh, it was our FREAKING mailbox server that we've been having issues with! Once we activated the database copy on the other server everyone was able to start sending. Rebuilding that mailbox server now.

Question for you advanced Exchange admins; We currently have two CAS arrays; one for our DFW home office and one for our East Texas home office. We do have what would be considered 2 AD sites within the same domain. I know it's best practice to have one CAS array per site; however would it be possible to have one CAS array for our entire domain?

We have this issue where if we migrate the mailbox database from our DFW server to our East Texas server the Outlook clients for the DFW people tell them they need to restart their Outlook because an admin made a change.

Even if we have to keep the two CAS arrays is there any way to have a main CAS array be a proxy for the two existing ones so that no matter what office you are in your Outlook won't freak out when we migrate a mailbox database?

What is the recommended RAM and CPU for an Exchange 2010 CAS/HUB server? We have 8vCPUs for each as well as 8GB for each. We keep seeing resource exhaustion errors in the event logs and we have to reboot these servers at least once a week if not sooner.

We have about 700 mailboxes that would access either CAS/HUB server.

We bumped each CAS/HUB server to 16GB a piece for RAM and did the Exchange 2010 SP3 update. It went well and so far so good our Exchange environment is looking much better! Not nearly as many errors in the logs now and the ones we are seeing are just annoying but aren't affecting uptime, and we are fixing those errors too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)