Multiboot on Edision OS Mio 4K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
I have the OS MIO 4K with the SatDreamGr image (TNAP). I'd like to try some other images such as OpenVIX and maybe PurE2.
What would be the steps for installing those other images while preserving the existing SatDreamGr? I have found some tutorials but none were a perfect match - either for another receiver or for other images.

Also, would anything other than the hardware be shared? Any files? Or would they have their own independent file systems, their own satellite lists, channel lists etc? (my guess is that they are totally separate)

Any potential pitfalls i should be aware of? I understand that some images are built for other regions and that I should probably update the Satellite.xml file once installed. Anything else?

thanks in advance!

You can do this using a flash drive/USB stick.

Create a folder called /downloaded_images on the flash drive.

Then, download the multiboot versions of the OpenVIX and PurE2 zip files from their respective websites. (There are usually 2 distinct versions of the Zip files and one of them is intended for multiboot).

Put those zip files in the /downloaded_images folder on the flash drive.

From there, I've installed the additional images from within OpenPLi. Have not tried installing images through TNAP.

In my experience, there is no cross-sharing between images. They each have their own independent file systems, channel and bouquet lists, etc.

Reactions: raydio and Brct203
I have the OS MIO 4K with the SatDreamGr image (TNAP). I'd like to try some other images such as OpenVIX and maybe PurE2.
What would be the steps for installing those other images while preserving the existing SatDreamGr? I have found some tutorials but none were a perfect match - either for another receiver or for other images.

Also, would anything other than the hardware be shared? Any files? Or would they have their own independent file systems, their own satellite lists, channel lists etc? (my guess is that they are totally separate)

Any potential pitfalls i should be aware of? I understand that some images are built for other regions and that I should probably update the Satellite.xml file once installed. Anything else?

thanks in advance!

It's good that you want to venture outside TNAP as that is what the "fathers" of TNAP had in mind. As far as installing another image, I will let others guide you through that but will say that VIX is my everyday image followed very closely by PurE2. I will say that I have OpenPLI installed in a slot JUST because of the image routines.

You are correct in you assumption in that each image has it's own satellite lists and channel lists but the "guts" meaning Linux files and E2 files are shared. Some images come complete with satellite.xml for the world and others contain it just for Europe. I believe that PurE2 you will have to supply the NA satellite.xml.

There are not any real pitfalls, just jump in and have fun....ask questions if need be!

download the multiboot versions of the OpenVIX and PurE2 zip files from their respective websites. (There are usually 2 distinct versions of the Zip files and one of them is intended for multiboot).
Well, that's when the challenge begins... On openvix.co.uk, for the Edision OS MIO 4K i'm seeing a list of files, by release date, but am not seeing any distinct version for multiboot. Same thing on http://pur-e2.club

Does that mean they are all multi-boot-compatible?

Well, that's when the challenge begins... On openvix.co.uk, for the Edision OS MIO 4K i'm seeing a list of files, by release date, but am not seeing any distinct version for multiboot. Same thing on http://pur-e2.club

I would just download the newest file and you should be fine.

Reactions: raydio and Brct203
Are these image files locked up, encrypted, password protected, etc, or are they open and able to be modified?

They are fully open, and you can have at it any way you'd like. There's open feeds to download and add just about anything or ability that you'd like. If it isn't there already, you can code your own if you know Python, or learn it.

They are fully open, and you can have at it any way you'd like. There's open feeds to download and add just about anything or ability that you'd like. If it isn't there already, you can code your own if you know Python, or learn it.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to download a few images and pull them apart, look them over then. I didn't want to waste the time if they weren't open, I'm not really interested in downloading other people's plug-ins and stuff but more in doing my own mods. Thanks, Primestar.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to download a few images and pull them apart, look them over then. I didn't want to waste the time if they weren't open, I'm not really interested in downloading other people's plug-ins and stuff but more in doing my own mods. Thanks, Primestar.

Maybe start with OpenPli, or an OpenPli based image, like SatDreamGr. There's plenty to learn about them. We can all benefit from a few good coders, for modifications just for our use in the U.S.

Maybe get a ATSC USB dongle such as a Hauppauge 955Q, and figure out how we can download an EPG from TitanTv, or one of the online other guides, and integrate it into the image. PSIP data is way to limited, unless you can get your local station to jack it up to more than 24 hours. You can get mc2xml off the web to do the grabbing, but I can't figure out so far how to convert it to an epg.dat file, that the Mio can map to our terrestrial channels.

Reactions: . Raine
Maybe get a ATSC USB dongle such as a Hauppauge 955Q, and figure out how we can download an EPG from TitanTv, or one of the online other guides, and integrate it into the image. PSIP data is way to limited, unless you can get your local station to jack it up to more than 24 hours. You can get mc2xml off the web to do the grabbing, but I can't figure out so far how to convert it to an epg.dat file, that the Mio can map to our terrestrial channels.

Yes please!

Reactions: primestar31

I had this thought also, I didn't find any specific Openvix images for multiboot and thought the downloads were for the primary slot.

Reactions: Brct203

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)