My answer to Equity Broadcast problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
1.2m dishes do work for some chanenls as walrus noted. I did a review a few months ago with a 1.2m dish and a conical scaler ring and also had some good results

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpe...cal-scalar-ring-ws1247-120cm-offset-dish.html

A 6 footer would get you almost everything up there in DVB.

Location is also key. Walrus is in the middle of the US where the signals are stronger so it works better. If you're farther away from there the harder it will be

Dozerdean

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 12, 2008
Omaha

A 1.8 meter dish is what I would like to have which I believe is 6ft. But I do not want the large dish in the yard the wife will not allow it. But you will find that a 6ft dish has its advantages. For instance if it is true that they moved the Soundtrack Channel to the other transponder as Iceberg has noted, I think the 1.2 meter dish I have may not pick that transponder up, but a 1.8 meter should?

A 1.2 meter dish works great for a good deal of the channels with certain formats, symbol rates and FECs, but does not get them all. It depends on what your viewing needs are and your location. But be careful as a lot of the FTA channels on all bands have a tendency to move to differnt transponders that maybe weak and a 1.2 meter dish maynot be able to receive them with enough quality level for good reception.

Just for an example; White Springs TV a KU linear channel recently moved to a different transponder as did FSSN on 91W. So what a certain dish can get for channels one day for KU and Cband may not be true the next.

A small 1.2 meter dish is a great dish to start wth, experiment and get many quality channels. The 6ft dish will improve reception greatly and allow for expanded formats. Larger prime focus 10ft diameter really gets you playing with C-Band, it all depends apon your viewing needs and what you have for a receiver.

Even though I can receive channels from almost all the C-Band sats, I mostly watch 4 channels on 72W Nasa, This TV is on 87W which also can be found on 99W, a few channels I will not mention on 91W for a good reason and some sports channels there, 95W carrys some horse racing and a few other feeds, 97W has a few good channels including KCSG TV, 99W has a dozen channels worth viewing the network channels as well as WHT, on ocassion I get some channels on 107 Anik but come and go, 121W has STO, Sportsmans and The Soundtrack channel or at least it used to have the Soundtrack Channel on a transponder that my 1.2 meter dish could get, and there are a few channels for Alaska I watch on occasion can't remember which sat 131-33-35-37 or 139W they are on, sometimes a movie channel goes in the clear on one of those sats for awhile but think it is an encryption error. But when I add C-band on the 1.2 meter dish it compliments the KU off the 76cm dish to offer me a nice package of valuable channels to view.

If there is a specific channel for standard DVB format C-band that you are curious about and want to know if my setup can receive, I would be glad to let you know if I can get it in without pixelation and can note the signal quality. But you have to remeber I will be using a Coolsat 5000 receiver for this. Should hook up my Pansat 2700 and see how it compares, will try this next time I have time to play around with the dish.
I'm about 3 hrs from Omaha, so I should be able to recieve what you do. Also have coolsat 5000 & fortic star premiem. Will have to find a bargin on a1.2 dish Thanks..

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
depends on which direction ;)

I'm in MN (which is a 5 1/2 hour drive away) and get different signal qualities than walrus on some channels

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Not only is your location something to consider but the brand and model of receiver and LNB.

Some time ago I was promised a large selection of various new LNBs that a guy who once was employed to install C-band dishes has stashed away. But to date have never received them. Well, I started a new job last Monday and I now work with this guy. I mentioned to him Friday to bring some of the LNBs to work so I could test them on my dish. Hopefully I will have them soon and the next time I have a few free days to play around with the dish I will test each for comparison. The only ones I have used to date are the BCS621-2 and Geosatpro C2, which for the most part are identical for C-band reception on the 1.2 meter dish. I prefer the Geosatpro C2 over the BSC621 becuase the dual output simplifies running multiple receivers from one dish, the BSC621 provides a slight improvement in quality levels but not enough to mention.

I also need to dig through the closet and see what I can find for receivers and test each one. Deffinately have to test the Pansat 2700A to see how it compares to the Coolsat for C-Band. For ease of use I love both my Pansats and Coolsat STBs.

Once I have collected all the data I will post my results.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
While I am at it let me give everyone a little review of the GeoSatPro 1.2 meter dish I used for this project; The reason I initially purchased this dish for my mini Bud was the they way it was manufactured. It looked very sturdy and had an elevation adjusting bolt on the mount that was very similiar to what I fabricated and added to the Winegard 76cm DS2076 dish.

What I found out is that this dish is very well made, very sturdy and the dish pan has some meat to it that will keep its form for extended use. The elevation adjustment using the bolt at the lower portion of the dish mount allows for very precise fine adjustments (works great). The side struts connecting the LNB support arm to the dish pan keep the LNB positioned even in windy conditions. The elevation scale is easy to read and makes initial setup a breeze. When connecting the dish to the motor tube I folded over a large sheet of course sand paper and wrapped it around the motor tube, so that the grit contacted both the motor tube and the dish mount. This trick holds the position of the dish to the motor securely in place allowing for the use of even the smaller diameter motor tubes. The addition of sand paper will keep the dish from spinning or twisting on the tube (trust me this trick works great and would take a couple of pipe wrenchs to move the alignment once set).

ACWxRadar also has this dish, he added an additional U bolt to the dish mount, the dish has holes to acomadate three U bolts but only comes with two. The addition of the third U bolt also helps to secure the dish to the motor.

I give this dish a 10 for its performance and durabilty. I highly recomend this dish to anyone contemplating the purchase of a 1.2 meter dish.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
walrus
I copied your above post to the review of the 1.2m dish so folks can read how well built it is :)

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 21, 2007
MA
Try 116.8ºW, there's a channel broadcasting movies all day long (XTime), sometimes they're dubbed in spanish but most of the time they're in english with spanish subs, a lot of good recent movies ;-).

Also the edusat channels from time to time broadcast BBC/Discovery Channel/NatGeo documentaries in english with spanish subs. And if you happen to like Baseball and Boxing, 113ºW has the mexican baseball leagues (both the summer and the soon to begin winter league) and the azteca's channels have boxing every saturday, the big PPV events are delayed 1-2 hours and a couple of channels from Paraguay have the WWE PPVs delayed 3 hours the same day of the event ;).

Cheers

Mike

Do you get all these using a 1.2m dish or a bigger size dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)