My Birdview Project, need HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I wrote here. Didn't have anything to post that was new plus I have been ill with this C.O.P.D. On the side lines I have been working on getting that Birdview dish that I got from Texas up and running. The shield that covers the motor and gears were missing letting it be exposed to all of the elements. I had a shield made for me from a local sheet metal shop near me. I did test the motor and that works fine. I counted the individual magnets on the reed sensor and there are ten of them. So I was going to upgrade it so the reed sensor had more magnets for using it with C-Band and KU-Band. I had a Skyvision catalog and found that they sold a Birdview Reed Conversion Kit. So I called them and found out some things I'm not too happy with.

This is what I heard from Skyvision.
1.) The guy that made the Birdview reed sensors kits is ill (maybe no longer with us?) and isn't making anymore. :eek:

2.) No one else is making them. :confused:

3.) That the Birdviews dishes need a Birdview receiver to work properly. Was told that no other receiver would do??? :(

4.) That I needed to add something to my Birdview to make it stationery and pick up just one satellite and get 175 channels. (Not what I was hoping for that my Birdview would be a fixed dish):(:confused:

I need some help here guys! Does anybody know where I can get a Birdview Reed Sensor Kit? I do not have the right equipment or experience to make them myself!

Also since I was told by Skyvision that a Birdview needs a Birdview receiver to function right. I’m really hoping that this is wrong information given to me.

I’m not relishing the thought of making my Birdview into a stationery dish either!

Thanks everyone!

TOM
:D

Hey Tom,

You do not need a Birdview receiver, maybe if you were using the old Birdview LNA (?), but not for any modern feedhorn/LNB steup. And it definitely does not need to be stationary!

As far as the sensor deal goes myself (and others) have made/are making their own magnet wheels (with 24 magnets for greater accuracy). Search for a thread started by bryan.lynch for linuxman's magnet wheel saga.

I just had a buddy draw a punching template for laying out the wheel, as soon as I figure out how to post it here I'm hoping linuxman will critique it, if any modification would be helpful I will get it redrawn. :)

Skyvision full of it !

This is what I heard from Skyvision.
1.) The guy that made the Birdview reed sensors kits is ill (maybe no longer with us?) and isn't making anymore. :eek:

Linuxman reported this situation some months ago.
2.) No one else is making them. :confused:
Sounds like Skyvision should get off their ass and find a new source! - :(
3.) That the Birdviews dishes need a Birdview receiver to work properly. Was told that no other receiver would do??? :(
Look at what Linuxman (see his many threads) and others have done.
That's just a very uninformed comment they made to you!
No other receiver would work with the LNB and feedback pot on their motor, but nobody wants to run that way anyhow!
You convert the dish/motor to operate with current receivers and toss the old Birdview receiver in the ditch! - :eek:
4.) That I needed to add something to my Birdview to make it stationery and pick up just one satellite and get 175 channels.

Is this guy trying to talk you OUT of using the Birdview?
He's full of it, to the gills !
Ask how many he's got converted to fixed? If a bunch, maybe we should go rescue them! - :cool:

I have a Birdview solid 8.5'. With the reed sensor modification and G-Box, it works great! Moves fast, accurate. I have Viewsat and Sonicview.

The reed sensor modification takes some labor, but isn't hard. There are four wires that come off the G-box and two of them go to either side of the reed sensor In other words the G-box reads the pulses and keeps the motor going as long as the pulses continue.

It's the only electronic modification I ever did on anything. I managed to do it successfully.

You don't need the Bird receivers.

1.) The guy that made the Birdview reed sensors kits is ill (maybe no longer with us?) and isn't making anymore.

I still see the "reed sensors" on the Skyvision website. http://skyvision.com/store/system_replacement_parts.html
Scroll to the bottom of the page.
3.) That the Birdviews dishes need a Birdview receiver to work properly. Was told that no other receiver would do???
The Birdview receivers will only work with the original Birdview DLNA and actuator. Replace the DLNA with a modern LNB, replace the original Birdview actuator with a reed sensor, and you can use any receiver.

Hey Tom,

You do not need a Birdview receiver, maybe if you were using the old Birdview LNA (?), but not for any modern feedhorn/LNB steup. And it definitely does not need to be stationary!

Hi Phlatwound,
When she (spokesperson at Skyvision) that it left me with doubts in regards to the receiver needed to be of Birdview design to work. She tried to sell a setup using the term LNBS and that it would be a stationery dish. I just didn’t buy into that at all and figured she was just trying to sell me something else.

As far as the sensor deal goes myself (and others) have made/are making their own magnet wheels (with 24 magnets for greater accuracy). Search for a thread started by bryan.lynch for linuxman's magnet wheel saga.
Sounds great that you were able to make your own magnet wheel so that you can run both C-Band and KU-Band. I wish that I was that mechanically inclined. It just isn’t one of my best attributes in looking at the end result. It’s kind of like that commercial that was on TV. I don’t know if you have seen it. This patient was asking a doctor a question over the phone and the doctor says it’s easy just take the scalpel and cut a 2 to 4 inch cut between the 5th and 6th rib. The patient then says shouldn’t you be doing this. My point is that I know I would mess it up bad. Sure wouldn’t mind getting one made for me at a reasonable price. Like Clint Eastwood would say, “A man has got to know his limitations!” haha

I just had a buddy draw a punching template for laying out the wheel, as soon as I figure out how to post it here I'm hoping linuxman will critique it, if any modification would be helpful I will get it redrawn. :)

I know the thread that you are talking about. In fact there are more threads that Fred Linuxman has that I tried to follow and I get really frustrated as it seems to be over my head. Wished that I lived closer to you guys so that I could just see you doing the work then I would understand it more. Makes me feel like a real dunce reading some of those threads!
I hope that I will be able to buy a reed sensor kit from a member here! Hint hint!

Do I need to change out my feedhorn and LNB on my Birdview dish too?

Thanks,
TOM

Attachments

• bvfeedhorn_californiaamp001.jpg
    bvfeedhorn_californiaamp001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 244
I see by the attached photo that you have the scaler adapter plate. I tried one of those a few years ago and sent it back to Skyvision. Just could not get a decent signal no matter what I tried. Went back to the original Birdview scaler.

Reed Sensor Kit

Linuxman reported this situation some months ago.

Hi Anole,
Yeah I remember reading about that months ago in one of Linuxman's threads. When I was looking for parts and took notice of the Birdview parts listed in Skyvision I thought I would give them a call. Thinking that maybe with any luck they found another person to pake the kits.
Sounds like Skyvision should get off their ass and find a new source! - :(

I agree and hoping that someone else will take up the slack!
Look at what Linuxman (see his many threads) and others have done.

I've tried to follow the best thatI could.
That's just a very uninformed comment they made to you!
No other receiver would work with the LNB and feedback pot on their motor, but nobody wants to run that way anyhow!
You convert the dish/motor to operate with current receivers and toss the old Birdview receiver in the ditch! - :eek:

I really don't know the workings of the reed sensor kit outside of the dish stopping at each magnet on the wheel where the satellites are at a certain point in the sky. And that by adding more I can get it to run on KU-Band and C-Band too. Right? Thats why I was looking for that kit and anything else to make it run on todays specks.

Is this guy trying to talk you OUT of using the Birdview?
It was a she. Sounded like she just wanted me to buy parts for my Birdview and to make it a stationery dish and to work off of one satellite and get 175 channels. When she was saying this I kept on seeing a red flag!
He's full of it, to the gills !
Ask how many he's got converted to fixed? If a bunch, maybe we should go rescue them! - :cool:
I agree. She is suppose to be sending me a new catalog with what she is recommending me highlighted in it.

Thanks,
TOM

reed sensor

I have a Birdview solid 8.5'. With the reed sensor modification and G-Box, it works great! Moves fast, accurate. I have Viewsat and Sonicview.

The reed sensor modification takes some labor, but isn't hard. There are four wires that come off the G-box and two of them go to either side of the reed sensor In other words the G-box reads the pulses and keeps the motor going as long as the pulses continue.

It's the only electronic modification I ever did on anything. I managed to do it successfully.

You don't need the Bird receivers.
Hello Lone Cloud,
Maybe I should post some close up's of the wiring that is around the magnets. Only looks like a few white wires? Maybe the wires are all internal? Hopefully yours is like mine?? I also need to figure out where the G-box is located? The only wires I see that are connected to where the magnets are is on the right side of the photo. Hope that helps. Maybe you have step by steps photos that ou took while doing your work on this?

Thanks,
Tom

bvmount_001.jpg

reed sensors

I still see the "reed sensors" on the Skyvision website. C-band and 4DTV Satellite TV Systems, MPEG-2 and DISH Network at Skyvision
Scroll to the bottom of the page.

The Birdview receivers will only work with the original Birdview DLNA and actuator. Replace the DLNA with a modern LNB, replace the original Birdview actuator with a reed sensor, and you can use any receiver.
Thanks kevinv,
The link you pointed ut is the same that I have from a catalog that I have. That’s when I was told by Skyvision about the guy being ill maybe dead? Think they would take it out or find another source in making the kits. I'm trying to replace everything in the Birdview to make it run correctly with any receiver.

Thanks,
TOM

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/124870-birdview-reed-sensor-kit-5.html

If you look at the last page of this thread in post 86, you will see from Linuxmans photos you have what he called the old style reed conversion kit. Someone will correct me, but I assume yours will work as is. It just may not be as accurate as one with more magnets.

I have been trying to document and keep up with all this great information on Birdviews, as I know where several are and one will end up in my yard eventually.

I'm sure you're right cowboy...!! I was thinking of commenting the same thing, just didn't know how to word it. I'm sure it will work, the problem, if there is a problem, will be where it stops..?

Your magnet setup is exactly like the one on the dish I sold to Phlatwound.

If it sends pulses to the GBox, leave it just as it is and give it a shot. It may well work just fine as it is.

Pay no attention to Skyvision. They are just order takers on the phone, and most of them don't really know what they are selling. :)

With a little modification, your dish will work fine with modern receivers. :)

Reed sensors

Your magnet setup is exactly like the one on the dish I sold to Phlatwound.

If it sends pulses to the GBox, leave it just as it is and give it a shot. It may well work just fine as it is.

Pay no attention to Skyvision. They are just order takers on the phone, and most of them don't really know what they are selling. :)

With a little modification, your dish will work fine with modern receivers. :)
Thanks Linuxman,
I've counted 10 magnets on that little wheel. It's good to hear it will work for me.

During the last few months I had to clear some trees from my backyard so I would have a better line of sight. Yard sure looks different now as it does open up my l.o.s.. I'll have to send some photo's in of the change. Thats done now and I started digging a hole for the Pole for the Birdview. I had a shield made from a local sheet shop that now protects the motor and gears. Thats why I was thinking of changing over the wheel where the magnets are and adding some so it would stop at both C-Band and KU? Next thing I need to do is find a pipe and have it welded on to the pipe (pole) that I cut off of the Birdview pole. Maybe I should add a sleeve to fit over both pipes so they can connect and have it welded together so that its level.

Question, (Feeling stupid here :confused:) Do I have a GBox now? If not where do I get one?

Thanks for all of your help!!

TOM

...Birdviews, as I know where several are...
I can honestly say, other than the photos that have been posted on here, I have never laid eyes on one. The only thing I see around here are mesh & fiberglass.

I have relatives in Western AR that I buy beef from about once a year. If you know where these things are I may be making a trip to Tulsa with my next beef order.
I'd be glad to help nab 3 or 4 of them...

I have relatives in Western AR that I buy beef from about once a year. If you know where these things are I may be making a trip to Tulsa with my next beef order.
I'd be glad to help nab 3 or 4 of them...

i have no problem locating birdviews ( and with the leaves falling its birdview hunting time of year) the problem i have is no one wants to get rid of them even though they aren't being used :( i've found 7 motorized and two stationary birdviews

Hmmm... Rison is closer than Tulsa! And in direct site of Waldron (where I get the beef.)
As far as the stationary dishes, has anyone modified one to sit on a standard polar mount?
I know one of the pros of having a Birdview is the positioner and such, but why not try it? Is it too heavy?

Yep I have found 8 so far, even an old Birdview dealer, but no one wants to give them up, even for cold hard cash! If your around Tahlequah, Wagoner, or Claremore Oklahoma there are several. The dealer in Tahlequah has 3, one solid in the ground, one solid on a trailer and a perforated in pieces on the ground.

Tahlequah, Wagoner, or Claremore Oklahoma
hmm i'm through this area often :) have kin in the Pryor area.

The dealer in Tahlequah has 3, one solid in the ground, one solid on a trailer and a perforated in pieces on the ground.

maybe sometime when i'm in the area i can look you up and go talk to the guy :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.