My Irish SUCK!!!

John, in the nearly 50 years I have been on this planet, I have lived within 25 miles of Notre Dame. I grew up just north of the Indiana Toll Road (I-80/90) off of Juniper Road. There were days in the fall when you could hear the Notre Dame Marching Band practice. We were trapped in our neighborhood for hours on home game weekends as traffic moved towards the campus. So, I've always been close to Notre Dame, even though I spent my college days at Purdue and consider myself a Boilermaker now.

In those 50 years, I had never attended a Notre Dame football game at Rockne Stadium. Sure, I'd been to a number of Blue-Gold games, but that's hardly the same thing. When my neighbor said he had two tickets to the Georgia Tech game two weeks ago, I thought it would be a great father-son bounding adventure (plus, my son is playing in Pop Warner and should see where he could be if he has the ability to stick with it and put his heart into it). So I paid face value for the tickets and we took the shuttle bus from the College Football Hall of Fame instead of fighting with the traffic around campus. We met up with his friend from across the street and listened to the Marching Band in front of the Music Hall. The weather was perfect; a beautiful late summer day on Notre Dame's campus.

Well, we all know how the game turned out (the fumble on the opening kickoff should have clued us in for what the Irish were in for), but I still had a good time, even though my son wanted to bail before the half! I recorded the game on my 622 and I'm glad I did. When #94 was ejected in the 2nd half, I didn't have a clue as to what had happened. Watching it later, it was an incredibly boneheaded penalty as his teammates had stopped the Yellow Jackets on 3rd down. Instead, George Tech got 15 yards closer, a first down, and a few plays later, took it in for GT's first touchdown.

It's funny; with the Irish at 0-2, it feels strangely liberating, as the pressure of a perfect season is gone.

If ND keeps losing, they will lose that huge TV contract they have with NBC (Notre Dame Broadcasting Co.), and then they will have to join either the Big East, or the Big Ten. The Big Ten would love to have them, see as they play half of our conference every year, and we only have 11 teams.
I don't think so. Notre Dame has had a few bad years since they signed the NBC contract.
Good or Bad, Notre Dame has a huge national following (whereas most teams are more regional), and that translates into ratings for NBC. Notre Dame could have a couple 0-12 seasons and NBC will still have them on the air.

I don't think so. Notre Dame has had a few bad years since they signed the NBC contract.
Good or Bad, Notre Dame has a huge national following (whereas most teams are more regional), and that translates into ratings for NBC. Notre Dame could have a couple 0-12 seasons and NBC will still have them on the air.

Yes they have a huge following....but you will not see ND on TV if they had a couple 0-12 seasons for the same reasons they have a big following, rating would drop DRASTICALLY and so would sponsorships would drop and so would ND football on TV...I will bet the farm on that!

Answers.
1) Well for this game, anyhow. I'll reserve judgement until Penn State has played them.
2) Oh my God, YES! I think Weiss took Claussen out of the game before he got killed. That Offensive line was absolutely offensive.
3) Those were really dumb questions.

Yeah I agree, ND just sucks. It boils down to the offensive line being the worst part of it and causing the D to have to play on half a field (I think they said UM's average start was on the 48). I know a lot of you hate ND and I understand why...its because we are Catholic j/k ;)

Not worried about the NBC contract, Fox has said they would pick us up and include more sports also. For now I still don't see the need for ND to join a conference. We are having a tough season but I think we all know that it won't last forever.

Yeah I agree, ND just sucks. It boils down to the offensive line being the worst part of it and causing the D to have to play on half a field (I think they said UM's average start was on the 48). I know a lot of you hate ND and I understand why...its because we are Catholic j/k ;)

Not worried about the NBC contract, Fox has said they would pick us up and include more sports also. For now I still don't see the need for ND to join a conference. We are having a tough season but I think we all know that it won't last forever.

And don't forget how OVERRATED Weiss is. THEY can't be THAT bad with all the very good recruits they get every year....they look UNPREDARED....!

In defense of ND (I can't believe I'm doing this!) they did lose 8 starters on offense, and 6 starters on defense. Maybe those recruiting classes Salsa keeps hammering on were a little overrated? How do they determine those rankings anyhow? Nobody knows how any recruit is going to respond when they move on to another level of play.

In defense of ND (I can't believe I'm doing this!) they did lose 8 starters on offense, and 6 starters on defense. Maybe those recruiting classes Salsa keeps hammering on were a little overrated? How do they determine those rankings anyhow? Nobody knows how any recruit is going to respond when they move on to another level of play.

All kinds of recruiting publications....I go through them because of my kids and when I have coaches come and see my kids play....

Rivals.com
studentsports.com
varsityedge.com
Scout.com

Those are some of the few. At the end of every signing season(there are 2...early and late), they have 2 different ratings a year. Very interesting reading.

All kinds of recruiting publications....I go through them because of my kids and when I have coaches come and see my kids play....

Rivals.com
studentsports.com
varsityedge.com
Scout.com

Those are some of the few. At the end of every signing season(there are 2...early and late), they have 2 different ratings a year. Very interesting reading.

So many kids to see, It's got to be hard to make qualitive assessments. It's still hard to predict whether a player can make the jump to the next level. Look at how many pros washout trying to make the next step from college. Even" can't miss". prospects washout. My point is that the pro teams have a smaller pool to scout, yet they make mistakes. Trying to grade players on the high school level (most of which they never see, or only see on a VERY limited basis, has got to be extremely hard. Very easy to overrate players on that level.

So many kids to see, It's got to be hard to make qualitive assessments. It's still hard to predict whether a player can make the jump to the next level. Look at how many pros washout trying to make the next step from college. Even" can't miss". prospects washout. My point is that the pro teams have a smaller pool to scout, yet they make mistakes. Trying to grade players on the high school level (most of which they never see, or only see on a VERY limited basis, has got to be extremely hard. Very easy to overrate players on that level.

Yeah...that goes with all other sports too.

Good luck with your kids. They're lucky to have somebody who's heart is in the right place. Always remember, you're there for the kids, especially when the parents are dragging you down.

It is amazing how these rich P***KS wanna tell me how important they are and how THEIR kid should be starting over others. I would say that 90% of those fathers have NEVER played above little league baseball, yet they THINK they know more about the sport, know MORE about evaluating talent than I do....You should see/hear some of the bribes I have been offered to have their son start over another player....:rolleyes: Then there are the boosters/coaches(vultures) from the universities and colleges hawking me about giving me assistant jobs IF I bring one of my kids with me to their school....

College athletics are almost as dirty as politics.....and I can only imagine how bad basketball and football are....the REAL money generators....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)