My Offers from DirecTV and Time Warner Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joep

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
My Offers from DirecTV and Time Warner Cable

With April 30 on the horizon, I wanted to share the offers I got from my local cable company and my previous SAT provider (DirecTV).

DirecTV:

The offer requires a 1-year commitment.

- Free HD DVR (either a Samsung or Hughes). However, currently the DVR can only get the local channels in SD. HD locals should be available in the Fall 2005.

- Showtime free for 6 months

- HBO for $2 per month for 6 months

Time Warner Cable:

This offer comes with NO contractual commitment.

$20 off the regular basic package for 20 months, so instead of $39.99 per month, it would be $19.99 for 20 months

$40- HD DVR with 4 premiums

$9.95 HD pac

Both offer basically the same HD channels. The only real difference is that DirecTV offers Universal HD and lacks TNT-HD, while TWC offers TNT-HD, but lacks
Universal HD.

I wanted to get some feedback on the offers. Which would you choose? Does anyone have any experience with the DirecTV DVR?

joep said:
DirecTV:

The offer requires a 1-year commitment.

- Free HD DVR (either a Samsung or Hughes). However, currently the DVR can only get the local channels in SD. HD locals should be available in the Fall 2005.
[...]
Does anyone have any experience with the DirecTV DVR?

You might wanna double-check either the HD or the DVR part of that receiver, because the only HD-DVR DirecTV offers right now is the HD Tivo HR10-250, which is expen$ive even if you're a new customer and you commit for a year. If they truly offered that, it sounds like... well, a mistake. ;)

cracka said:
You might wanna double-check either the HD or the DVR part of that receiver, because the only HD-DVR DirecTV offers right now is the HD Tivo HR10-250, which is expen$ive even if you're a new customer and you commit for a year. If they truly offered that, it sounds like... well, a mistake. ;)

I thought about that too, but that is what the DirecTV manager told me. I even asked him if I could get two HD DVRs and he said he can only offer me one. He also said that I would not have a choice as far brands are concerned, either the Samsung or Hughes. Perhaps I am getting this really good offer because when I subscribed to DirecTV, I basically got everything they offered. My monthly bill at the time was about $110 for two receivers.

As mentioned I'd ask for the offer of the free HD DVR in writing since Samsung and Hughes don't make one, the only one out there is the DirecTV HR10-250 and I've not seen any post that says someone got one for free. If it truely is the HD DVR you're one very lucky person. :D

I think you'll find the Samsung will be the HD receiver (not DVR) and the Hughes will be a DirecTivo (not HD).

The HD-Tivo is also Hughes, but with a list price of almost $1,000 ($849 through the special deal at valueelectronics.com) it is -- as cracka said -- ex$pensive.

The D* DVRs can be seen here:
http://www.valueelectronics.com/Hughes_tivo.htm

CDH.

rad said:
As mentioned I'd ask for the offer of the free HD DVR in writing since Samsung and Hughes don't make one, the only one out there is the DirecTV HR10-250 and I've not seen any post that says someone got one for free. If it truely is the HD DVR you're one very lucky person. :D

I'll call again and check to verify but am pretty confident with the offer. I even talked to him about being able to record local HD on the DVR and he said I would not be able to do so until the Fall 2005.

By the way, who makes the DirecTV HR10-250?

How did you get them to give you those offers? I called my cable co.(adelphia) and they wouldn't budge on the standard rates.

CDH said:
I think you'll find the Samsung will be the HD receiver (not DVR) and the Hughes will be a DirecTivo (not HD).

The HD-Tivo is also Hughes, but with a list price of almost $1,000 ($849 through the special deal at valueelectronics.com) it is -- as cracka said -- ex$pensive.

The D* DVRs can be seen here:
http://www.valueelectronics.com/Hughes_tivo.htm

CDH.
CDH,

Thanks for the link. It looks like the HR10-250 is an HD DVR.

lostcause said:
How did you get them to give you those offers? I called my cable co.(adelphia) and they wouldn't budge on the standard rates.

I simply asked them if they had any special offers that would entice me to go back to them. I told them I am a current satellite subscriber and that is when they made the offer. I think they called the offer their “Welcome back from Satellite” deal.

Hmmm... I just talked to a D* manager and he told me that such an offer is not available at all.

I called to request some additional info from them... and while on the phone, I read this thread and decided to ask about it. The only offer they'd be able to provide is the one for the standard HD receiver and nothing else.

joep said:
CDH,

Thanks for the link. It looks like the HR10-250 is an HD DVR.

It is, and if you can get it for free then more power to you! The best I have heard of is a $200 credit towards programming when purchasing an HD-Tivo. Combined with the Value Electronics offer this reduces the real price to $650, but that is still a long way from free.

Please keep us posted if you can get an HR10-250 for free!!!

CDH.

I can't see D* giving out a $1000 DVR free in return for a one year contract? Nope, do not believe it!

Voomin@720p said:
I can't see D* giving out a $1000 DVR free in return for a one year contract? Nope, do not believe it!

As I said, I will get it in writing from the DirecTV manager I spoke to last night. But, I specifically wanted an HD DVR and we talked quite a bit about its capabilities and features likes its dual SAT input and its inability presently to record the locals in HD. But, after reading some of the comments and the price of the HD-DVR, I will confirm it before I sign up.

Sorry to say it is not the 250, I call and talked to Directv and later found out it was their standard DVR. If I wanted the HR10-250 I had to dish out over $900.00. After learning that I cancelled my order for installation.
Still looking.

joep said:
As I said, I will get it in writing from the DirecTV manager I spoke to last night. But, I specifically wanted an HD DVR and we talked quite a bit about its capabilities and features likes its dual SAT input and its inability presently to record the locals in HD.

That's one more sign that you two were not on the same page. The HR10-250 records OTA HD locals presently.

I had a thought... Perhaps what you were being offered a waiver of the monthly DVR fees and/or HD pack? (I believe the current D* offer is for 3 months of the HD pack and 3 months of the DVR monthly fee for new subscribers purchasing this unit. I'm not considering it because I don't want to pay so much up front for a box.)

CDH.

it's sad that you have to spend at least 300 bucks to get hd with directv!
AFTER I ordered voom a dtv csr offered me hd with install for 149.00 after they knew I switched!!!! Bet they wont let me have it now!

Go back to the person at D* and give him the model number of the DVR you want, or at least have him give you the model numbers of the DVR he is offering for free, not just the manufacture's name.

Update – I called DirecTV last night – HD DVR Offer Retracted

I called DirecTV last night to try to get the HD DVR deal in writing and was told that they would not honor the offer made the night before. I believe I was completely misled.

I know there was a great deal of skepticism about the validity of the offer and possible miscommunication but I was very confident the HD DVR was offered to me the night before. Right from the start, I said I wanted an HD DVR. After the Manager looked over my account history, he came back and said that they can provide that. And before our conversation ended, I even summarized the details of the offer to him and I explicitly said HD-DVR and he confirmed.

But when I called back last night, they said they could only offer a regular DVR along with the other enticement I mentioned in the post. I was unable to talk to the person I had talked to the night before. I even asked the person last night if the person I spoke to the night before to call me directly. He said they were not able to perform callbacks to solicit business (this I found very strange?).

He then offered HD-DVR to me at a discounted price of $850. Needless to say I was upset with the entire situation. I wish I had taken up the other person’s offer the night before. I don’t think I am willing to spend $850 on the HD-DVR especially with the limited number of HD channels from DirecTV.

I want to thank the Voomers that posted regarding getting the offer in writing before committing to the deal.

Joe

I don’t think I am willing to spend $850 on the HD-DVR especially with the limited number of HD channels from DirecTV.
Not to mention the fact that you could shell out $850 and then in 6 months or how long it takes to convert to Mpeg4 compression, you may have to BUY a newer unit. Have not heard any info on a plan to offer upgradeing ppl who shell out the money now so, in my case, I opted to go cable for a while as that way no commitment and no buying equip that might become obsolete soon. Figure in 6 months or so will begin looking to see who has what avail then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)