Nasa Feed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryasch

Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
fort wayne
I'm using a DMX741U LNB with a 1.8m offset dish and an Omegasat 5701 Receiver, and I'm trying to receive the nasa feeds. I can get a scrambled picture with no audio, or i can get audio with no picture. Does anyone have any idea what i should do to fine tune this? On the signal indicator for the receiver Im getting 99% signal strength and 37% quality then it folds back to 36% strength and 0% quality and it just goes to those 2 sets of numbers over and over. If i adjust my elevation up or down i lose everything, if i adjust my azimuth east or west i lose everything, if i rotate my lnb right or left i lose everything as well. Any help?

You haven't given us much to go on, please provide details.

Are you trying for NASA on 87w AMC-3/C? (linear, 4000 H, 28111 3/4)

For linear signals, don't insert the dielectric plate, it's for circular signals.

Is your receiver all set up for C-Band?

Are you aimed at the right bird?

Are you using a conical scalar ring with that LNBF?

Your LNBF is designed for "prime focus" dishes rather that offset, a conical scalar
ring is needed for conversion to use on an offset dish.

The 1.8m dish is rather small for C-Band, unless you've done some really good
fine tuning on the LNBF at the focal point. You would have better luck with a
larger, prime-focus (BUD) type of dish.

Once again, fill in the gaps, it'll be easier for us to help.

Sorry, pretty new to the satellite game.

Was trying for Nasa on 87W amc-3 c 4000mhz 28.1115 3/4 FEC
Dielectric plate was not in the LNB
Receiver is capable of C and KU
I was getting other AMC 3 Specific feeds just not the nasa feed
Using a scaler ring, LNB Focal distance is mathmatically correct
Dont have the option of a larger dish this is the only one we have ( its for work)

I was finally able to receiver everything correctly, my Spectrum Analyzer was putting too much of a load on the receiver and causing it to fold back. once i removed the analyzer i was able to get everything no problem.

Now i use the spectrum analyzer to power the lnb and find the initial signal and then the receiver to fine tune it...a little slower but seems to be working very well

The dish is small for most "C" band satellites I use a 6' and 8' dishes and the 6' is even marginal on some birds. Using the best LNB will help. I did that on my 8' dish and made a difference.

This might be a dumb question, but is there a way to find out "the lowest" elevation my dish can see at?.. for example, is there way to know if i cant pick up birds below 42 degrees elevation? Or is that just something that i find out through trial and error?

The reason i ask is because i can nail every satellite i need to that is 42 degrees elevation or higher so far but anything below 42 i cant seem to pin point. I'm wondering if its just too low in the horizon for my specific location.

42 elevation on the dish?

you can go way lower than that. ON my 6 footer here in Minneapolis I can see down to 19 elevation in the winter (when the leaves are off the trees to the east)
I have a dish at 137W which is like 21 elevation here....works great

Won't the mount allow it to go below 42°? Seems odd, my CM 1.2's are marked to 8° but only get down to around 22° before the bottom of the dish hits the pole. I got one down to 6° elevation by putting the dish on the mount sideways for 30W. How about a picture of the dish, and maybe another of the mount?

Attachments

• LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 117
  • aim.jpg
    aim.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 123
I can physically lower the dish to whatever elevation i want however once it goes below 42 degrees i cant find any birds east or west, something isnt adding up and im willing to bet anything its something im not doing right, i just cant seem to figure out what it might be. ive been able to successfully find and receive channels from:
83W - AMC9
85W - AMC 16
87W - AMC 3
89W - Galaxy 28
91W - Galaxy 17
97W - Galaxy 19
99W - Galaxy 16
101W - SES 1
103W - AMC 1

of course i need 105W - AMC 18 and this is the one i cannot lock onto. Ive tried following dishpointer.com, ive tried moving the dish by hand, tried moving by wrench. If i power the LNB with a spec analyzer, i see a big signal, but i cannot get anything to come through when using the receiver

The receiver you have will not get anything on 105W

Most of the programming on there is subscription programming (Digicipher 2) and requires a 4DTV or equivalent
The NBC stuff on there is DVB-S2 and the Omegasat only gets DVB

off topic

Seems odd, my CM 1.2's are marked to 8° but only get down to around 22° before the bottom of the dish hits the pole.
I got one down to 6° elevation by putting the dish on the mount sideways for 30W.
I wanted to congratulate you on your ingenuity.
Interesting lawn-friendly mount, too! - :up
Must be a bear to aim, though. ;)

105w - look for TP 11856 V 3548 (Macy's 4 - Slate ch. $), Something to aim for anyway.
Yeah, it's a temporary Lawn Mount that's kinda turned semi permanent. Now added a 83e on the second pole for 125W. No problem aiming either. Still working on a polar mount for the 2nd 1.2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)