National HD Channel Roll-Out Plans

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And yet, you seem to spend a lot of time in a D* forum just to bash them. What's the matter, is all of VOOM's HD repeats today?
As I said, I am at work. I am not at home actually watching HD programming. However, I will be leaving shortly and will be watching some VOOM tonight, along with DiscoveryHD and NGHD and ..., (the list continues on).

That's 13 NFL channels and no more than 13 MLB (not shown). 26 of 78. Adding the RSN's pushes it past 50%, but it's not an overwhelming "majority". There are still a lot of good channels in the list above and beyond sports-related. Although you'd still have to ante-up for the premium movie channels, in addition to sports-related programming.

At any rate if you're buying HD content you can't expect to get everything for free. You can't really blame D* for targeting the big spenders with the initial big-splash; that's where their money is.

Couple of corrections. While they may be counting the NFL-HD SF channels - for this year the baseball is NOT included in that count. The season ends September 30th. MLB EI - SF includes 2 channels only.

Next, by year end the number will be closer to 100 HD channels.

Don't also forget that D* has been PURPOSELY marketing for years to people that prefer sports programming. For them to offer a large number of HD sports channels FITS the customer profile perfectly.

Those that believe that DISH has the better programming are obviously LESS interested in sports, so they base their opinion on VOOM. Good for them - they don't prefer sports, we don't prefer VOOM. To each their own I say.

But he is trolling here nevertheless.

As I said, I am at work. I am not at home actually watching HD programming. However, I will be leaving shortly and will be watching some VOOM tonight, along with DiscoveryHD and NGHD and ..., (the list continues on).

So as I said - what do you do - just sit there and scroll thru the HD channels?

Sounds wonderful - pass the bong!

So as I said - what do you do - just sit there and scroll thru the HD channels?

Sounds wonderful -
No, I actually get to WATCH HD on E* not WAIT for it. I hardly fit the description of a troll. I've been a member of this site for quite some time. I also stated that I do not smoke - especially that stuff.

No, I actually get to WATCH HD on E* not WAIT for it. I hardly fit the description of a troll. I've been a member of this site for quite some time. I also stated that I do not smoke - especially that stuff.

What DMA is SOL3 - I'll bet DISH doesn't have your HD lils either.

But Voyager - enuf already. We ALSO get to watch HD on D*. BTW, what channel is NESN-HD on DISH? Or YES-HD? or MLB EI-HD?

go watch your re-runs already will you?

So some are contending of the 78 channels, per ScoBuck, the majority will be Sports packages? Maybe I'm not understanding right. I thought D10 is going to be MPEG-4 only & that none of the sports packages will be MPEG-4 this year, or did I miss something.

So some are contending of the 78 channels, per ScoBuck, the majority will be Sports packages? Maybe I'm not understanding right. I thought D10 is going to be MPEG-4 only & that none of the sports packages will be MPEG-4 this year, or did I miss something.

No - the majority will NOT be sports channels. second, the 78 number is a start number for September, 100 is the end of year number, with channnels being added weekly/monthly as they light up.

Not sure why everyone is so hyper over this, won't we all get to see for ourselves in about 20 days?

Based upon what I have read, I don't see where Voyager is bashing D* at all. Seems to me that the same few D* people are being the rude and obnoxious ones on this and other forums. And before you attack me, I am a fan of no DBS provider. I just try to keep up with the latest information on these forums. But, one has to wade through all the crap and arguing just to get some good information. So, why not be more positive in your comments instead of arguing on who has the biggest HD :D

No - the majority will NOT be sports channels. second, the 78 number is a start number for September, 100 is the end of year number, with channnels being added weekly/monthly as they light up.

Not sure why everyone is so hyper over this, won't we all get to see for ourselves in about 20 days?
That list looks like a lot of sports channels to me.!I counted 41 sports channels. 13 of them are NFL Sunday Ticket.

Those that believe that DISH has the better programming are obviously LESS interested in sports, so they base their opinion on VOOM. Good for them - they don't prefer sports, we don't prefer VOOM. To each their own I say.

Maybe you should put an asteriks after that. I left DirecTV over a year ago not only for more HD on Dish, but because of DirecTV's horrible incarnation of NHLCI.

On Dish I can watch my team's home feed because Dish broadcasts BOTH teams feeds. DirecTV will show only one. Usually the home team or if there is a canadian broadcast of a game they black out the home team.

I missed the Joe Thornton trade because of this AND the retirement of one of my favorite broadcasters due to DirecTV's lame Center Ice Package.

I am a HUGE hockey fan, and hockey is a sport. Therefore the "LESS interested in sports" is a misnomer.

I can't see paying $350 for the NFL when I can get over 1000 games for $170.

Maybe you should put an asteriks after that. I left DirecTV over a year ago not only for more HD on Dish, but because of DirecTV's horrible incarnation of NHLCI.

On Dish I can watch my team's home feed because Dish broadcasts BOTH teams feeds. DirecTV will show only one. Usually the home team or if there is a canadian broadcast of a game they black out the home team.

I missed the Joe Thornton trade because of this AND the retirement of one of my favorite broadcasters due to DirecTV's lame Center Ice Package.

I am a HUGE hockey fan, and hockey is a sport. Therefore the "LESS interested in sports" is a misnomer.

I can't see paying $350 for the NFL when I can get over 1000 games for $170.
NFL pack is clearly much Higher Price per Hour of Viewing then any ,I mean ANY Programming on TV today.

Yawn, snore, snooze, snooze... Same old crap - no sense in trying to post ANYTHING because the same people are trying to twist and confuse the issues by not comparing like items; while it seems like they are really worried about why they can't have the same things; either because their service is geared to the small budgeted or they don't have the income. BUT WHO CARES! At least thats what it sounds like, a bunch of crying babies. Go watch some TV already and move along and enjoy what YOU have!.

Last edited:
NFL pack is clearly much Higher Price per Hour of Viewing then any ,I mean ANY Programming on TV today.

And? Who cares. Comparing it $$ / hour to "regular" or "repeat TV" is baseless. It still is BY FAR AND AWAY, a great bargain for what it offers fans. PERIOD. If you don't want to pay for it; then DON'T.. It is that easy. There is absolutely no need to continue to bitch about it.

Yawn, snore, snooze, snooze... Same old crap - no sense in trying to post ANYTHING because the same people are trying to twist and confuse the issues and not comparing tow like items; while it seems like they are really worried about why they can't have the same things; either because their service is geared to the small budgeted or they don't have the income. BIT WHO CARES! At least thats what it sounds like, a bunch of crying babies. Go watch some TV already and move along and enjoy what YOU have!.
Whats a Tow like Item?, While your not posting anything!

And? Who cares. Comparing it $$ / hour to "regular" or "repeat TV" is baseless. It still is BY FAR AND AWAY, a great bargain for what it offers fans. PERIOD. If you don't want to pay for it; then DON'T.. It is that easy. There is absolutely no need to continue to bitch about it.
Great bargin ? What does it offer fans? It takes advantage of fans. Their is NO reason the price needs to be what it is.

edited spelling of 1st post (tow?)

Great bargin ? What does it offer fans? It takes advantage of fans. Their is NO reason the price needs to be what it is.

The average car shouldn't be $30,000; milk shouldn't be $4 / gallon either, but they are. GET OVER IT! This is a specialty premium product. If you can't afford it, nor see its value (or if it holds no value to YOU), then DON"T BUY IT!

Add up taking a family of 4 to your local home team's games (even if they are not YOUR favorite team).

1. 4 Tickets x 8 home games (cheapest tix you can buy legally)
2. Gas & Parking costs.
3. Time & hassle
4. 4 drinks & 4 hot dogs (only once even though you WILL eat and drink more, and no beer that costs)
5. 1 program
6. BONUS: add the costs associated with traveling to your FAV team if you wish!

We all have our own needs and budgets; so get back to me after you add all that up.. These topics are so old and played out already.

Last edited:

Well first of all, who in their right mind is paying $350?
$229 and free Superfan is all anybody should be paying.

$229 equals $13.50 a week for the season.
Hmmmm, I think one less pizza a week covers that.
Or try to go to the bar for 6 hours and only pay $13.50. $30 minimum.

Even at the mythical $350 it's $20.50 a week. Still cheaper then the bar.

For anyone whose team is not the local one, is a fantasy fanatic or just a huge NFL fan Sunday Ticket is a bargain any way you slice it.

And agree that this topic has been discussed to death every year.

If you aren't a fan or don't care about games that your locals don't give you then it's a waste of money. Just like any dime spent on baseball is a waste of money to me. We all have our favorites. Saying it's a waste of money is ignorant.

Well first of all, who in their right mind is paying $350?
$229 and free Superfan is all anybody should be paying.

$229 equals $13.50 a week for the season.
Hmmmm, I think one less pizza a week covers that.
Or try to go to the bar for 6 hours and only pay $13.50. $30 minimum.

Even at the mythical $350 it's $20.50 a week. Still cheaper then the bar.

For anyone whose team is not the local one, is a fantasy fanatic or just a huge NFL fan Sunday Ticket is a bargain any way you slice it.

And agree that this topic has been discussed to death every year.

If you aren't a fan or don't care about games that your locals don't give you then it's a waste of money. Just like any dime spent on baseball is a waste of money to me. We all have our favorites. Saying it's a waste of money is ignorant.

Now now guys. You didnt include the cost of electricity, snacks and beer that one must consume watching all that great football. And a pro-rata share of internet costs so you can track your Fantasy team. If you are gonna do a Cost Benefit Analysis, do it right!! ;)

Its still a fantastic deal to stay home. Also great if you have small kids and have to stay home. I see it as a win-win. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)