Navigon GPS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Anyone here using the Navigon GPS's? I have a TomTom (and since replaced by my sprint mogul Telenav/Googlemaps etc) and my wife has a garmin. I am intrigued by some of the navigon's features/price points... So, any first had reviews from anyone here?

I noticed Costco is selling the Navigon 2100 Maxx for $199.99. We have a Garmin nuvi 650 and love it, but my wife pretty much took control of it and I was looking for low cost replacement. This 4.3 GPS unit appears to have all the basic functions of the 650, minus BT and MP3 - which I don't need, plus is comes with up to 12 map updates during the first 3 years and free Lifetime Traffic service. Has anyone used this device?

I purchased the Navigon 2100 back in March and used it on a trip to Florida for Spring Break. I was for the most part impressed, especially for the $119.00 on sale I paid for it at Staples. The spoken road names feature is very nice, although sometimes the pronunciation is, uhmm interesting. The "Reality View" of complicated exits is an outstanding feature. I was amazed over and over again about how much data that is loaded on a single SD card.

Sometimes the route the GPS chose didn't seem to always be the most logical route, even though there are several settings to choose the "fastest" "shortest", etc. For example, on a Florida freeway it wanted me to take an obvious exit to the left and immediately merge back onto the same freeway. I'm guessing it calculated that as the shortest route? Also the number of POI's included are not that impressive. It had some gas stations, restaurants & rest areas listed, but overall POI's are pretty sparse.

If you just want a GPS that will get you from Point A to Point B, the Navigon 2100 does a fine job and gives good peace of mind that you won't get lost. If you need a GPS that will be able to locate a specific restaurant by name, you might want to consider another model/brand.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I don't believe that they'd be compatible with other companies software. Although they do have other SD cards from Navigon's higher models, like the 5100 or 7100, that you can use in the 2100 that have a much larger database of POI's. I've seen the 5100 SD cards on E-bay for $30-$50 range.

Another option for some is the Telenav software for the Cell phones from Verizon, Sprint, etc.

It's $9.99/mo (at least on sprint) or included in SEP or TMDS plans.

I've been impressed with it so far on my Instinct.

not perfect, but usable.

I love my moguls Telenav, I am just looking for an upgrade for my wifes garmin.

The POI files really are not too specific other than some basic formatting for each model GPS. I have plenty of POI's that I have converted between the Garmin and my TomTom. Lost of websites offer them in most models formats, but I have not seen a Navigon specific format out there yet, so I was curious if it was using another manufacturers format.

I swear by Garmin products.... But....

I gave my folks a Navigon GPS for Christmas, and I played around with it for a bit, and was impressed with it. They have nothing but good things to say about it.

If planning on only using it for vehicle navigation, I'd say from what I seen, it seems pretty decent.

Navigon GPS review

Anyone here using the Navigon GPS's? I have a TomTom (and since replaced by my sprint mogul Telenav/Googlemaps etc) and my wife has a garmin. I am intrigued by some of the navigon's features/price points... So, any first had reviews from anyone here?

I have been using a Navigon 2100T since Thanksgiving of last year. It was a special day after sale at Staples for 99.00 and included the lifetime traffic updates at no cost. I don't know about only getting only a certain number of map updates per year, as I have gotten several emails from Navigon concerning software updates for the unit that enhance the maps and voice navigation. I'm not one who has much use for POI's so I won't comment on that. The voice navigation does have some "interesting" pronounciations, but hey...it's a computerized voice. What can I say? The traffic update is a wonderful feature alerting you when traffic is backed up due to construction or an accident and then providing easy work arounds if you want. The unit also has a TON of other features that come in pretty handy. These are probably standard in the GPS industry, but this is my first one and I don't know. The display will show how many more hours/minutes to my destination and what the ETA is. There is also a setting you can enter if you want to be alerted if you go too many miles an hour over the speed limit. The speed limit for the road you are travelling is on the display and the unit will say "caution" if you hit the speed you entered. As for lanes, turns, exits and so forth...the unit displays realistic exit signs just like you see above you on the highway and if it's your exit you will see which lane you should be in.

Like I said, this is the first unit I have owned, but I did research before I bought it in addition to the price. I have no problem recommending this brand to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)