NBA 2008-09 Season

Hi, Paul.

Don't know if this trade is good or not, but Detroit at least has a guy who can score a lot of points, and he's away from the selfish Carmelo.

Can't wait for you latest 'Daze of Our Lions!'

Well that is the biggest reason I like this trade. The Pistons have a maddening habit of going 4-5 minute stretches of no scoring every game. Plus he's a clutch shooter. The more I think of this trade the more I like it.

What?!

I'm not sure how to react to this trade yet. Billups is a great player, but so is AI.

It will be interesting to see how Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace, and Tayshaun Prince play after the trade.

One sure thing though is that the East just got a heck of a lot more exciting!

Also, the Pistons must have great faith in Rodney Stuckey and Jason Maxiell if they truly are saying goodbye to Billups and McDyess.

Wait a minute. Who's going to play starting PG for Detroit?!

AI's a shooting guard!

Actually, I think I like this trade. Billups was a stud ball handler and a lock down defender. AI can score, but he also jacks up 35+ shots a game!

Wait a minute. Who's going to play starting PG for Detroit?!

AI's a shooting guard!

Actually, I think I like this trade. Billups was a stud ball handler and a lock down defender. AI can score, but he also jacks up 35+ shots a game!

I'm with you HD.

After so many years of stalling at the ECF, I can understand why the Pistons may have wanted to shake things up.

I just think Billups was the wrong guy to trade.

That one knocked for a loop, certainly didn't see this coming. I'm still digesting this. First impression is that it's a great trade for both teams. I was initially wondering what happens with Hamilton, but then I realized that Iverson also plays at the point, so nothing changes much in the backcourt. As for the frontcourt, there is a rumor that Denver plans to release McDyess, and he could end up back here, anyhow. If not, the Piston's needed to clear more minutes for Amir Johnson, Maxielll and Brown.

I suspect that the major reason for this trade is to clear cap space for a major free agent next summer. Who is coming out next summer?

As for the trade itself: Well, I like it. I've always thought that Iverson is one of the best "little" men to play the game, and I thought at the end of last season that the Pistons needed a change to their core if they wanted to score another championship. Iverson should be sufficiently motivated to play his butt off, seeing that this is a contract season, not to mention a pretty good shot at a ring. Not that I ever had reason to question his "desire".

So I guess I'll sit back and see how this works out.

Not so fast. The Cavs boards are already salivating over the opportunity to sign McDyess....

Wow this is very surprising that they would do this trade.

Wow this is very surprising that they would do this trade.

Not really...if you think of it, the player with the most trade value WAS Billups because of lack of good point guards. Prince-type-players are really a dime a dozen(remember, I meant Prince-type as in 3 spot that can EITHER defend or shoot...Price does both well...and then disappears for a game or two). I think it is a GREAT TRADE for BOTH teams. The Nuggets are young and need some veteran leadership and Billups is perfect. The Pistons need an influx of scoring because the starting 5 was getting old REAL FAST. This trade just edged the PISTONS into the 2nd best team in the East IMHO, just behind Boston.

Not really...if you think of it, the player with the most trade value WAS Billups because of lack of good point guards. Prince-type-players are really a dime a dozen(remember, I meant Prince-type as in 3 spot that can EITHER defend or shoot...Price does both well...and then disappears for a game or two). I think it is a GREAT TRADE for BOTH teams. The Nuggets are young and need some veteran leadership and Billups is perfect. The Pistons need an influx of scoring because the starting 5 was getting old REAL FAST. This trade just edged the PISTONS into the 2nd best team in the East IMHO, just behind Boston.

Eh. I have a feeling LBJ will have something to say about that. :cool:

IMO, this puts the Cavs even more ahead of the Pistons than I thought they were!

And after watching the Celtics-Pacers game the other night, it's easy to see why it's so hard to repeat in this league.

I'm confident more than ever of my prediction: the Cavs winning the NBA title (doesn't mean I like it though :(:D).

after watching the Celtics-Pacers game the other night, it's easy to see why it's so hard to repeat in this league.

I have my own theory. It's called 'Opponents get jacked up to play the reigning champion.'
(See Browns/Giants)

When the Cowboys were Super Bowl champs, Darren Woodson once said "Every opponent gets up to play us."

A year ago, the Spurs, while trying to defend their title, had some terrible losses- Seattle, Sacramento, Memphis- that cost them a chance to get the #2 seed.

I have my own theory. It's called 'Opponents get jacked up to play the reigning champion.'
(See Browns/Giants)

When the Cowboys were Super Bowl champs, Darren Woodson once said "Every opponent gets up to play us."

A year ago, the Spurs, while trying to defend their title, had some terrible losses- Seattle, Sacramento, Memphis- that cost them a chance to get the #2 seed.

You're right.

That's why I see the Celtics as more of a 55-57 win team this year and not the 66 win juggernaut they were last year. That slippage will cost them the #1 seed to the Cavs...................mark my words.

I think too many people are annoiting the Cavs the NBA championship when they have yet to play the season. They picked up Mo Williams....great, they improved, that was not something that might have put him over the top. ON PAPER...hence the phrase, ON PAPER...the Cetics are the team to be and the defending champions. ON PAPER, the 76ers look just as good as the Cav.

And since when did Lydon B. Johnson ever play basketball? ;)

Hold on a second there, that's where we started the season. To answer HD MM, the point guard would be Stuckey, but like I said earlier Iverson can play point also.

As I said earlier, this trade is all about freeing up $20M in cap space. Maybe they want a shot at LeBron in '10?:D

Hold on a second there, that's where we started the season. To answer HD MM, the point guard would be Stuckey, but like I said earlier Iverson can play point also.

As I said earlier, this trade is all about freeing up $20M in cap space. Maybe they want a shot at LeBron in '10?:D

Well....I had said that it was Boston as the team to beat....and Cleveland and Detriot tied for second and not too far behind was Philly. This trade clearly put Detroit 2nd to me.

Believe me, I know FULL WELL this was to free up cap space. I know they have their eye on Bosh big time.

Is Stuckey's the point, does that mean Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince will be coming off the bench?! Uh oh. I don't know how the old guys will take to that.

Is Stuckey's the point, does that mean Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince will be coming off the bench?! Uh oh. I don't know how the old guys will take to that.

I think you will see more 3 guard packages. Don't forget Hamilton is 6' 7'', and Prince has impressive ball handling skills. I see Iverson taking over the point and Stuckey still coming off the bench.

Hamilton was signed to a 3 yr. extension yesterday. The Pistons won handily yesterday, without Billups, McDyess, or Iverson.

The Pistons have been playing 11 people in all three games, so minutes are at a premium for everyone. The only question is getting Iverson to blend in, which I don't see as a problem. It will be exciting to watch the Pistons play again. I'll admit, it was getting kind of boring around here.

And here's the best part - next season we have $36M under the cap to play with for free agents next summer and in '10. Can you spell LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts