NBC 103

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Neighbors and mom thought I was crazy she thought waiting to see if satellite turns on strange.

I just got around to checking it out. I'm now getting a solid signal on the NBC DVB-S2 transponders, and the Microspace transponders (which were never a problem), but I now have no signal at all on the NBC DSNG transponders nor the Muzak transponder.

I didn't mean to say the Muzak transponder, I meant the other one which has a bunch of radio feeds. Maybe it was gone before this, I really haven't checked it lately because most of them were silent most of the time. But the other NBC feeds, I still have no signal at all. I've even tried adjusting the position (with DiSEqC 1.2, not manually) for the optimum signal on the S2 transponders, and nothing!

I didn't mean to say the Muzak transponder, I meant the other one which has a bunch of radio feeds. Maybe it was gone before this, I really haven't checked it lately because most of them were silent most of the time. But the other NBC feeds, I still have no signal at all. I've even tried adjusting the position (with DiSEqC 1.2, not manually) for the optimum signal on the S2 transponders, and nothing!

Delete all your channels for the sat, and blindscan it fresh. Did you change your lnb to a normal skew?

LNB is at normal skew, and I did delete all the channels. I didn't delete the transponders, but I would've thought at least the signal strength would've shown up when I select the transponder.

For the "switch experts" in our midst...

I'm 100% 8-place diseqc now, but...given I install a standard combination C/Ku on my left FIXED birdview, (disecqc position 3) I can add an Ecoda 22khz to switch between the bands ON the feedhorn and it should respond from an Amiko mini, given "port 3, 22khz ON for ku, correct? Still playing with ideas! Fun to reorganize for most function from the least feeds!

Deleted AMC 1 and did a fresh blind scan for SES 3 with normal skew and this is all I get on the 33" dish.

11815 V 2169
11819 V 1480
11942 V 20000
12145 V 20000
12181 V 25000

Same here. Near Thunder Bay....spot beamed?

Deleted AMC 1 and did a fresh blind scan for SES 3 with normal skew and this is all I get on the 33" dish.

11815 V 2169
11819 V 1480
11942 V 20000
12145 V 20000
12181 V 25000

For the "switch experts" in our midst...

I'm 100% 8-place diseqc now, but...given I install a standard combination C/Ku on my left FIXED birdview, (disecqc position 3) I can add an Ecoda 22khz to switch between the bands ON the feedhorn and it should respond from an Amiko mini, given "port 3, 22khz ON for ku, correct? Still playing with ideas! Fun to reorganize for most function from the least feeds!
Yes that should work fine.

-side note was chatting with Titanium (Brian) when I saw this post. I was scratching my head and he said what is the difference in that or a universal LNBF where you use 22kHz. I had to go get more coffee. :imshocked

Reactions: Titanium
Same here. Near Thunder Bay....spot beamed?

According to the published footprint map, SES 3 should be stronger in southern Canada than AMC 1. No spot beam. NBC on the horizontal transponders is 8PSK, whereas most of the stuff on vertical is QPSK, so vertical would be easier to receive. But if you were getting NBC from AMC 1 and now can't get them from SES 3, I dunno...

My dedicated setup for cozi on a 1.2 m dish was worse due to the change, it was completely gone this morning, normally strong. Returned after moving the LNB's skew. Probably depends on the dish size, focus, all the "usual" things and how much signal one had to begin with...

It could also depend on geographical location. When the power balancing is done for a satellite switchover, the normal procedure is to take signal strength readings out on the corners, for example Bethel Alaska, San Juan Puerto Rico, Portland Maine, and Mexico City. Then move the satellite around and balance the levels of the transponders until all of those corners have good signal. That balancing affects different other locations differently. It will improve the signal strength in some places and reduce it in others. The goal of the whole process is to get everybody "good enough".

As far as personal experience, COZI is now coming in great on my motorized dish, and I gained a bunch of NBC feeds I didn't have before. I set a timer for Knight Rider and Avengers. ;-)

Reactions: fred555
I was able to receive COZI on AMC1 with the funky skew but not consistently.
Its a motorized dish so the skew is set to "0" and should work. All the other sats are at max Q.

Finally got it to work.
I had to manually add the transponders.

11760 H 30000
11840 H 30000
11880 H 30000.

Never had this issue with other sats!

Last edited:
When Anik E1 first came online years ago, I was delight that for the first time I could get Ku Band signals from Canada down here in New Mexico. Kind of weak, but watchable analog and fixed key VC2 stuff. Over the first month the signal varied a lot and in the end, almost completely disappeared. No more Anik E1 for me. Hope SES does better for you guys up north. :)

I deleted all the transponders, and on the first blind scan I didn't even get all the S2 transponders this time! But the next time, I got all the S2 transponders plus some of the DSNG ones. I still think I'm missing some though -- and last night when I tried the first time, the weather was much better than it is tonight...

I deleted all the transponders, and on the first blind scan I didn't even get all the S2 transponders this time! But the next time, I got all the S2 transponders plus some of the DSNG ones. I still think I'm missing some though -- and last night when I tried the first time, the weather was much better than it is tonight...

I suggest a dish "re-aim" might do the trick for you. Don't forget this is a different satellite, and the orbit inside the 103W "box" is slightly different than AMC-1. That could make a difference for some of us, and a slight dish realignment could be the ticket in that case...

Find the weakest transponder for YOU, and tweak that up as high as you can get it.

Reactions: norman881
Have they then completely turned off AMC 1 or it still active on 103.°0W?

Time for some "shotgun" pruning i think. Theres one branch right in the way :(

Funny how a branch can stop a tp and others work. Odd

Status
Please reply by conversation.