NCAA Football 2012-13 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if NIU deserves a BCS bowl, but I'll be rooting for them. What a embarrassment that would be for free shoes, go huskies!

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure IF NIU should win, the excuses will be out that the other team wasn't interested.

Again, very dense when it comes to College Football and you guys are way smarter than me but how did NIU get a BCS bid? I mean since when is the MAC a BCS conference?

Btw, I was looking at the games and the teams that are bowl eligible and ineligible and have this question. What if there were not enough teams to fill the bowl spots?

The MAC is not an Automatic Qualifier conference but the rules state if the MAC conference has a team ranked in the top 16 and ahead of an auto AQ conference champion they get an automatic bid. In this case they are ahead of the Big East and Big 10 champions.

And if there are not enough bowl eligible teams then the teams not eligible can ask the BCS for waivers, (like GaTech did this year and got in)

Can we please get a new AD in Stillwater, if Holder runs Gundy off, then he is a bigger idiot than I thought.

Looks like Gundy interviewed with Tennesse today. Gundy has about had it with Holder as has many alumni.

Sooners/aggies in the Cotton Bowl should be a classic

I agree on the the part where you said that's why they play the games. Penn State is not undefeated though.
D'oh! I don't know why I thought they were. Sorry for the bad data.

It's probably buried in the thread someplace, but when do the other non-BCS bowls get announced? I've been at work all day and wonder where my Boilermakers got placed.

Edit: The "Heart of Dallas" bowl, huh? The game will be on ESPNU, so no HD football on New Year's Day. But I guess 6-6 teams can't be too picky.

Last edited:
D'oh! I don't know why I thought they were. Sorry for the bad data.

It's probably buried in the thread someplace, but when do the other non-BCS bowls get announced? I've been at work all day and wonder where my Boilermakers got placed.

Edit: The "Heart of Dallas" bowl, huh? The game will be on ESPNU, so no HD football on New Year's Day. But I guess 6-6 teams can't be too picky.

The entire list is here -

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8048429/2012-13-bowl-schedule

Just jumping in..I have to say I'm really disappointed that N Ill got in to the Orange bowl.. a rather large slap in the face to many other teams that deserve it more.
You weren't disappointed when VPI got into the Sugar Bowl over higher ranked teams last year.

Well, the BCS outside of two games does not look all that exciting this season.

Some of the second tier bowl games have the most intriguing games that I want to see.
La Tech appears to have gotten greedy and got left out all together at 9-3 while Ga Tech is going bowling at 6-7.

Im sorry, no team should be in a bowl with a losing record. I have a hard time stomaching a 6-6 squad getting in, but 6-7 is ridiculous.

I'm guessing Stoops may suspend Saunders for yesterdays run in with the law, that will put them down one very good receiver. Although they won't be hurting with Stills, Shepard and Brown

For those of you complaining that Northern Illinois got into the BSC ... a LOT had to happen for that to happen and if ANY of the listed below would have happened, they would NOT have made it... chances are Oklahoma would have ...
===================================================================================
NIU’s Huskies busted the BCS and are heading to the Orange Bowl, to the land of multi-million-dollar opportunity, to play a big-time opponent in Florida State.

A year ago, Northern appeared in the GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile, Ala., which offered payouts of $750,000 per team. The Orange Bowl will pay more than $15 million per team, a windfall that NIU will share with its MAC brethren.

For this to have happened, the Huskies had to finish among the top 16 in the BCS standings, ahead of at least one champion from an automatic qualifying conference — in this case they out-ranked two such teams — and ahead of any other non-qualifier.

All of that happened.

And before it could, a lot of dominoes had to drop just right. NIU had to win the MAC championship game over Kent State, which was above it in the penultimate BCS standings; Nebraska had to lose to Wisconsin; UCLA had to lose to Stanford, and Texas had to lose to Kansas State. ...

While I think NIU will get soundly beaten, ya just never know .

I think they should change the "Rules" to the Top 12 in the rankings , I think thats what they were before.

100 bowl games and maybe 3 or 4 really interesting match ups.:rolleyes:

sarcasm off now.

For those of you complaining that Northern Illinois got into the BSC ... a LOT had to happen for that to happen and if ANY of the listed below would have happened, they would NOT have made it... chances are Oklahoma would have ...
===================================================================================
NIU’s Huskies busted the BCS and are heading to the Orange Bowl, to the land of multi-million-dollar opportunity, to play a big-time opponent in Florida State.

A year ago, Northern appeared in the GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile, Ala., which offered payouts of $750,000 per team. The Orange Bowl will pay more than $15 million per team, a windfall that NIU will share with its MAC brethren.

For this to have happened, the Huskies had to finish among the top 16 in the BCS standings, ahead of at least one champion from an automatic qualifying conference — in this case they out-ranked two such teams — and ahead of any other non-qualifier.

All of that happened.

And before it could, a lot of dominoes had to drop just right. NIU had to win the MAC championship game over Kent State, which was above it in the penultimate BCS standings; Nebraska had to lose to Wisconsin; UCLA had to lose to Stanford, and Texas had to lose to Kansas State. ...

While I think NIU will get soundly beaten, ya just never know .

I think they should change the "Rules" to the Top 12 in the rankings , I think thats what they were before.

Heres wondering how badly the BSC wanted a MAC team in the matchups ...

While the NIU / Kent State game was a good one, going to OT .

NIU was ranked 21 going in and beat Kent State, they were 17 going in ... the game went into OT, so neither team DOMINATED the other, but NIU moved up 5 spots bypassing others along the way obviously .... how did this happen, any other time of the year and that wouldn't have happened .... and it pushed them up just far enough to make the limit at 16 ...

Things that make you go ..... Hmmmmm ....

I think the BSC definitely wanted them in.

Possibly for next year when they can say, you had your chance and got pounded.

Thank you for the replies about Northern Illinois. I didnt know about the top 16 rule. So basically, teams can apply for a waiver. So, for example, Uconn could ask to be in a bowl even though they having a losing record and if they had a bowl to go too?

Thank you for the replies about Northern Illinois. I didnt know about the top 16 rule. So basically, teams can apply for a waiver. So, for example, Uconn could ask to be in a bowl even though they having a losing record and if they had a bowl to go too?
You have to be in the top 16 first.

Not sure what the criteria is for applying for a waiver. The only two I can remember that have done so are UCLA last year and Ga Tech this season. Both of those played in their conference champ game. So perhaps that has something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

POLL: Hypothetical: If Tebow and Te'o collided the results would be:

NFL Championship Sunday Picks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)