NCAA Football 2014 season

Quite honesty, beyond Miss St. & FSU, I'd say it's still way to early to seed 3 &4. Still plenty of the season left, so nothing of real value separates all the 1-loss teams out there.

I wouldn't have the rankings come out until right before the conf. championship games.
They are going to change, even this week. Having them come out earlier gives the committee more time to discuss than meet one time a week before the CCG and one time after.

This is late enough in the season to do it IMO.

I know on paper a one loss team is a one loss team, but the committee is supposedly looking at all the factors that make a loss a loss. Like the discussion went in 2011, some losses are "better" than others.
Using Bama as an example, a last second loss on the final play to a top 3 team on the road is not a damning a 14 point loss AT HOME to a team that has spiraled into nothingness. Ohio State should not be in it unless alot happens and the other one loss teams drop another game.

Using Bama as an example, a last second loss on the final play to a top 3 team on the road is not a damning a 14 point loss AT HOME to a team that has spiraled into nothingness. Ohio State should not be in it unless alot happens and the other one loss teams drop another game.
On the flip side, it was a loss using a new quarterback following the unexpected loss of their starter, who then settled in and had solid victories.

If Ohio St. continues to win, and takes the Big Ten championship, I'd say they have a better argument of being in the Final 4 over a 1-loss SEC team that does not win the SEC championship.

If Ohio St. was still undefeated, they would be ranked #3, possibly #2 over FSU.

As they have a single loss, they should be in the pack with the rest of the 1-loss teams.
Quite honesty, they and all the other 1-loss teams (Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, etc...) can moan all they want about their respective rankings, but the simple fact that none of them took care of business when they should have removes all justification from their complaining.

Ironically, beyond all the Pac14, Big12, and BigTen complaints about rankings and being left out of the BCS Game and now 4-team Playoffs, they were the conferences against an 8/16 team playoff, while the SEC & ACC have consistantly been the proponents of such a playoff.
I have always been for an 8 or 12 /16 team playoff ....

If Ohio St. was still undefeated, they would be ranked #3, possibly #2 over FSU.

As they have a single loss, they should be in the pack with the rest of the 1-loss teams.
Quite honesty, they and all the other 1-loss teams (Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, etc...) can moan all they want about their respective rankings, but the simple fact that none of them took care of business when they should have removes all justification from their complaining.

Ironically, beyond all the Pac14, Big12, and BigTen complaints about rankings and being left out of the BCS Game and now 4-team Playoffs, they were the conferences against an 8/16 team playoff, while the SEC & ACC have consistantly been the proponents of such a playoff.
IF Ohio State were still undefeated then yes they should be, seeing they started with a new offense including the QB, i just think seeing what they have done this year is very impressive and so far they are not getting any credit for it.

IF Ohio State were still undefeated then yes they should be, seeing they started with a new offense including the QB, i just think seeing what they have done this year is very impressive and so far they are not getting any credit for it.

The refs that officiated last weeks game sure liked them, i.e. gave them catches that clearly were not, etc. Not everybody hates them. :eeek

OK, so it was probably the absolute worst officiated game I have ever seen. Ever.

Considering that they were ranked #8 in one and #7 in the other before they lost, yes, I think it is reasonable to assume that they would be likely top 2 or 3 had they won that game and not dropped any other.
I think the dropping as low as they did after the loss had a lot to do with the fact that Braxton is not the qb, the polls could not drop them in the pre season because they didnt know about the loss of Miller yet. Once Miller went down they were dropping regardless .... with Miller out, they are not a top 5 team with a qb that has not played.
Now that Barrett has played and established him self to be pretty good, they should be moving up.

The refs that officiated last weeks game sure liked them, i.e. gave them catches that clearly were not, etc. Not everybody hates them. :eeek

OK, so it was probably the absolute worst officiated game I have ever seen. Ever.

Yes, the officiating was Terrible Both ways in that game.

The interception early on was Not a catch the teams knew it everyone in the stands knew it.

The officials response was that the Review equipment was not working and they are not allowed to look qt anything other than that video.

That was equipment on the Penn State side of things, not OSUs.

On the flip side, it was a loss using a new quarterback following the unexpected loss of their starter, who then settled in and had solid victories.

True, that played a factor. Still playing at home and it being Va Tech, they still should have won the game, and it continues to haunt them in the ratings.

If Ohio St. continues to win, and takes the Big Ten championship, I'd say they have a better argument of being in the Final 4 over a 1-loss SEC team that does not win the SEC championship
The only way that can happen is it being a one loss Miss State at this point (unless I am not figuring right), and I do not see a one loss Ohio State having a better resume even with a Big 10 championship than a one loss Miss State whose only loss would likely be to the number 1 or number 2 seed in that scenario.

Reactions: mccoyrj
I think the dropping as low as they did after the loss had a lot to do with the fact that Braxton is not the qb, the polls could not drop them in the pre season because they didnt know about the loss of Miller yet. Once Miller went down they were dropping regardless .... with Miller out, they are not a top 5 team with a qb that has not played.
Now that Barrett has played and established him self to be pretty good, they should be moving up.
The qb being out contributed, Ill admit that. However, had they continued to win, even with a new QB, they would not have dropped out. No way, no how.

I know on paper a one loss team is a one loss team, but the committee is supposedly looking at all the factors that make a loss a loss...
On that same line of thinking they should be looking at what makes a win a win. For instance, Alabama barely squeaking by a mediocre Arkansas due to a missed extra point should count against them, which may be why they are behind Ole Miss, who knows.

I tend to go along with Jimbo in that Ohio State is not getting as fair a shake as other teams. Living in Ohio I've been able to watch them play and they have improved a lot. They should be ranked higher than they are IMO. I also think that some highly ranked SEC West teams are currently riding on Mississippi State's and Auburn's coattails right now. LSU is obviously not a good team, and after their convincing losses to Mississippi State and Auburn, they were dropped to their appropriate place in the polls (completely out at the time). Their victory last week over Ole Miss however (especially after such a poor performance...four turnovers, 3 dropped interceptions, and in general bad play execution), shows that the Rebels may be overranked, certainly not a playoff team yet. The same could be said for Alabama, who Ole Miss defeated, and squeaked by Arkansas.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that all one loss teams have just as much a claim to be considered for the playoffs as any other right now, and all these arguments are just fodder. Let's see how the season plays out, then maybe some of you will have a firmer leg to stand on when stating your case or complaining. ;)

Last edited:
Ive seen people say LSU is not a good team, and I am honestly not sure why. Yes they have 2 losses, but to the number 1 ranked team in the nation and the number 3. They may have looked shakey at times, but honestly, who hasnt? Even the undefeated teams have looks beatable in some games.

Just take heart, even after our game, you can say all three of yalls losses were to top 5 teams, and thats saying something. :D

So then, only undefeated teams apply ....
Gonna be lonley on that big night when only one team shows.

I know on paper a one loss team is a one loss team, but the committee is supposedly looking at all the factors that make a loss a loss. Like the discussion went in 2011, some losses are "better" than others.

Obviously the cirumstances are not being taken into account with Ohio States loss.

So then, only undefeated teams apply ....
Gonna be lonley on that big night when only one team shows.

Mississippi State plays Alabama and Ole Miss

Auburn plays Ole Miss, Georgia, and Alabama

Ole Miss plays Auburn and Mississippi State

Oregon plays Utah and if they win the division they will play the PAC-12 South Champion

Alabama plays LSU, Mississippi State, and Auburn

TCU plays West Virginia and Kansas State

Michigan State plays Ohio State and possibly Nebraska or Wisconsin if they play for the Big Ten title

Kansas State plays TCU, West Virginia, and Baylor

Notre Dame plays Arizona State

Georgia plays Auburn

Arizona plays Utah and Arizona State

Baylor plays Oklahoma and Kansas State

Arizona State plays Utah, Notre Dame, and Arizona

Nebraska plays...essentially nobody, aside from possibly Michigan State or Ohio State in the Big Ten title game

Ohio State plays Michigan State and either Nebraska or Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game

Utah plays Oregon and Arizona

Oklahoma plays Baylor

Everyone just needs to chill out and let the season play out. It's inevitable that several of these one loss teams will be two loss teams in the future, and some three loss or more. Be patient.

Ohio State at the time belonged at 15 -20 as the had not played but 1 game and had like mentioned previously q QB that had 1 start and an O line that also had 1 start.
I would have been very happy to see them pull out a win at the time.

Oregon plays Utah and if they win the division they will play the PAC-12 South Champion

Michigan State plays Ohio State and possibly Nebraska or Wisconsin if they play for the Big Ten title

Georgia plays Auburn

Nebraska plays...essentially nobody, aside from possibly Michigan State or Ohio State in the Big Ten title game

Ohio State plays Michigan State and either Nebraska or Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game

Oklahoma plays Baylor

Everyone just needs to chill out and let the season play out. It's inevitable that several of these one loss teams will be two loss teams in the future, and some three loss or more. Be patient.
Sooo [o.

Georgia plays Auburn

Oklahoma plays Baylor

NFL Wild Card Picks

The U...Part 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts