NCAA says that Tressell is NOT "forthright"...

JAG72 said:
I have seen no proof that he was.

Or all other information was withheld as part of a deal. It is not the 1st time nor it will be the last time deals like this are made in secret little meetings with lawyers and agents.

I understand but he could have come out smelling like a rose if he would have followed the rules and turned it into the NCAA right away. Instead he came out smelling like a turd.

Don't forget that I was a huge Tressel supporter before this all happened. I thought he was an outstanding person and coach. This totally changes how I and many others will think of him.

Jag,
Don't take this wrong, I in no way agree with what Tressel did, I think he should have turned the guys in as well, I just think everyone is blaming Tressel and letting the players off scott free.

Jimbo said:
Jag,
Don't take this wrong, I in no way agree with what Tressel did, I think he should have turned the guys in as well, I just think everyone is blaming Tressel and letting the players off scott free.

Sounds like lack of institutional control.
That will be the big argument here.

He obviously couldnt control his players and simply condoned it and ignored it. And now he runs away, the equivalent of pleading guilty. he left because of scandal and Ohio state should be punished.

yep. now that tressell is gone you can bet the ncaa will come down hard on ohio state university. but i'm probably stating the obvious here.
too much has been going on for tressell to be the only one who knew about it. this ain't over by a long shot

I continue to be so disappointed in what went down. Tressell's antics have made the proud OSU a national laughingstock. Shame on him. Those goofball players aren't off the hook either. They should probably stay away from campus indefinitely and not even think of ever putting on the Scarlet and Grey again.

Maybe OSU should of thought about this back before the ineligible OSU Beat Arkansas? After all it wasn't till after they beat their first SEC team did all this come out.. Coincidence? I think not ;)

Maybe OSU should of thought about this back before the ineligible OSU Beat Arkansas? After all it wasn't till after they beat their first SEC team did all this come out.. Coincidence? I think not ;)
If I remember correctly, it came out before the Sugar Bowl.

I feel sorry for Tressel, he seems to be a decent person that just didn't do his job, and hoped things wouldn't explode like they did. Had he done what he was supposed to do and immediately disciplined these guys appropriately...bite the bullet and kick them off the team regardless of their star status...he would be smelling like a rose and still have his job.

Jimbo is right...the players are the real villains here.

Last edited:
Jimbo said:
However the players antics came first, they were the START of all this, Tressel was NOT.

The players are kids who don't know better, they are going to do dumb things. The coach is a adult, he should of done the right thing and reported them.

Were the kids wrong? Yes but the coach should of known better.

You hate to throw the young men under the bus, but it's hammered into them from the day they join the team that no perks may be accepted. For Tressel to tacitly condone such conduct escalates the issue to the university level. To lie about his knowledge makes this a personal issue for Tressel, as well as a university issue.

A few years ago, OU had a couple of star athletes who were caught accepting payment from an auto dealer for work not performed. Bob Stoops did the right thing, the university self-reported it to the NCAA and booted the players. OU was still dinged for lack of institutional control, but Stoops did what was required. Did it hurt? Yes, since one of the players was the starting QB.

The players are kids who don't know better, they are going to do dumb things. The coach is a adult, he should of done the right thing and reported them.

Were the kids wrong? Yes but the coach should of known better.

I will disagree with this. The players are as culpable as Tressel. I spoke with a Coworker and now good friend this morning, who is a graduate of OSU. Here is what I threw out. What is the NCAA and Schools truly penalize the players? Too me if you make an example of people like Pryor and Bush much of this will stop. These players are adults and easily know by the time they are 16 the difference between right and wrong.

Any of us true College Football fans know that our programs have similar things going on. Now they may have it where the Coach makes sure he always has plausible deniability but it is going on. These multi million dollar businesses need to stay competitive. I know its only a matter of time before some of this happens to my Georgia Bulldogs.

I continue to be so disappointed in what went down. Tressell's antics have made the proud OSU a national laughingstock. Shame on him. Those goofball players aren't off the hook either. They should probably stay away from campus indefinitely and not even think of ever putting on the Scarlet and Grey again.

Well....now that Tressell is gone, do they have to abide by the stupid little promise to stay in school after they serve their suspension? Do no be surprised if they all hall a$$ out of Columbus. And I think it would be best for the school if they did.

Well....now that Tressell is gone, do they have to abide by the stupid little promise to stay in school after they serve their suspension? Do no be surprised if they all hall a$$ out of Columbus. And I think it would be best for the school if they did.

I think they will stay. With the NFL situation, where would they go for this coming season?

:up:up They need to go away and never come back. They're not going to be welcome.

I will disagree with this. The players are as culpable as Tressel. I spoke with a Coworker and now good friend this morning, who is a graduate of OSU. Here is what I threw out. What is the NCAA and Schools truly penalize the players? Too me if you make an example of people like Pryor and Bush much of this will stop. These players are adults and easily know by the time they are 16 the difference between right and wrong.

Weren't Pryor and a few others already suspended for a few games next season?? Other than more games, what else would you propose??

Also, how bad does the NCAA look for the hypocrisy of allowing those suspensions to by-pass the Sugar Bowl game??