Need Advice on OTA Antenna

silentgarth

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Noblesville, IN
I am getting E* on Monday (18th)( HD package) I would like to hook a antenna to it to get my locals in HD. I have read just about every post in this section and would like some ideas.

My zip code is 46060. According to TvFool the farthest tower from me that I care to get is ~17miles. And the closest being ~13 miles.
index.php

index.php

Would I be better of going with either the Winegard GS1100 Sensar III or the GS1000 Sensar II? Or is there something else you all could recommend?
Which ever antenna I end up getting will be placed in my attic. The direction they would face will be out of the way of all duct work and any other large metal items in the attic.

Thank you for your help.

I could put something on the roof. Just trying to avoid it if possible. And really the only duct work is the duct for the chimney. And I would have the antenna about 6-8 feet away from it.

Would the C1 form Antennas Direct be a better choice. I was also looking at the Philips Mant950.

Edit:
If I were to mount an OTA to my Chimney out side would the aluminum vent cap cause a problem? Also my wife will not use the fireplace at all ( afraid of the house catching on fire) so heat will not be an issue.

Last edited:
I am getting E* on Monday (18th)( HD package) I would like to hook a antenna to it to get my locals in HD. I have read just about every post in this section and would like some ideas.

My zip code is 46060. According to TvFool the farthest tower from me that I care to get is ~17miles. And the closest being ~13 miles.
index.php

index.php

Would I be better of going with either the Winegard GS1100 Sensar III or the GS1000 Sensar II? Or is there something else you all could recommend?
Which ever antenna I end up getting will be placed in my attic. The direction they would face will be out of the way of all duct work and any other large metal items in the attic.

Thank you for your help.
Have you given any thought to making your own CM4228 or DB2? It is really easy to do and the details are in this forum. As for the Winegard Sensar's, both will work well for the distance that you are from the towers but I don't know how much reception will be impaired by mounting in the attic.

Will these homemade OTA work after the Feb. change over?
Of course the antennas will work after the Feb. change over to digital. The TV's with NTSC tuners will not work anymore. You will need a TV with a ATSC tuner or a DTV converter. The antennas will continue to receive the UHF/VHF signals.

Ok. I just got my VIP 722 about 3 hours ago. Man is that HD picture cool. Now I'm on the hunt for wire coat hangers LOL !!
Lots more info here on DIY HD antennas. Lumenlab -> DIY HDTV Antennas
You may have to register to use this site. Go to Home Theater and then DIY HDTV antennas. They have plans/pictures for the DB2, DB4 and CM4228 antennas. Good luck.

Well I just built my own antenna. It cost me about $4.00 for the blaun. Had the rest of the stuff laying around.
Hooked it up to the 722 and did a scan and picked up 16 channels!!!!!! All of them are above 70% signal strength( The three I wanted are in the 98- 100% range). And the antenna is sitting in my living room sitting up against the fire place. I'm off on Friday so I will move it up to the attic and drop a coax cable down.
Funny thing is the wife said it would not work. But she was amazed as was I.

Well I just built my own antenna. It cost me about $4.00 for the blaun. Had the rest of the stuff laying around.
Hooked it up to the 722 and did a scan and picked up 16 channels!!!!!! All of them are above 70% signal strength( The three I wanted are in the 98- 100% range). And the antenna is sitting in my living room sitting up against the fire place. I'm off on Friday so I will move it up to the attic and drop a coax cable down.
Funny thing is the wife said it would not work. But she was amazed as was I.
Amazing isn't it? All it takes is a little time and effort. Which antenna did you build?

This is very close to the type I built. Mine has 4 sets of bow ties ( pic has 6 sets).
I got a scrap piece of wood from work ( I work a Lowes) . And for the connetors in between the bowties I used copper wire I stripped from a lamp cord! All it cost me was about $3-4 for the blan.
post-3919-1168124831_thumb.jpg

silentgarth, The home made multi bow-tie antennas are a great cost savings. You just have to keep the "300" ohm connecting and tap leads apart enough. sorry to read you paid so much for the antenna transformer.

Last edited: