need beginner help to configure KU FTA system

Status
Please reply by conversation.
good suggestions

Good suggestions Anole. I had considered the Mercury II before homing in on the Nuesat 6000, but I somehow missed the advantages of the Traxis 3500. I just did some surfing and it certainly looks good for the money. I may have to go for it, but being a noobie at this I'm still afraid I might be missing something important. I've spent weeks surfing to reviews and FAQs, but it's easy to miss something when trying to catch up on 15 years technology in a week or two. Besides: "When you're up to your posterior in alligators, it's hard to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!". LOL
If I read it correctly, AC3 is Dolby digital, and I assume that I can still get common audio if I chose to ignore the AC3 - correct?
The only other concern I have is that it be able to receive PBS (for Brit coms mainly - AMC3/4/5 ? ), and White Springs TV (FTA) on Galaxy 27. That will give me enough programming to fill in my time when I'm not bashing fingers (AKA: home restoration), or mangling websites (AKA: webmastering).
BTW, that old BUD won't go to waste - it's like a good wine ... simply waiting til it's time has come. :D I'm too busy rebuilding my old Victorian hovel right now to lay the big concrete pad it requires. Not to mention the fact that it feels like it's been raining for 40 days and 40 nights, and my land is now as soggy as quicksand. LOL
Hmmmm.... I looked at some ads for the Traxis 3500, but I couldn't find anything about whether or not it will run a motor/rotor when and if I get one. Any comments welcome as I'm very close to a purchase, methinks.
I'm also trying to find out if related Traxis receivers (close in price) have any imporatant advantages that I missed (so much to learn... so little time....sigh). All I see is stuff like audio enhancements and update via methods easier than RS-232. Since I run Linux updating could be a challenge until I find the right Linux RS-232 transfer program, but I think I can work around that (famous last words). I think today is the day, if my IP holds up.
BTW, a point to ponder: Linux= the FTA of computer Operating Systems

Last edited:
another spoon-full

Poke around the posts, relative to PBS and AC3 (Dolby) audio.
I think all PBS is AC3, but I'm not sure.
So, don't get caught out in the rain, if it's the dry you prefer. :)

WhiteSprings you can catch on a spoon and a popsicle stick.
Scroll down to post #24 and a few following ...
They pack a hot signal into the conus.

As for which receiver might be preferable to run the C-band stuff, you should go chat in the C-band section.
I think the Pansat may have some rotor control capability all the other receivers we discussed do not, but I'm not a low-bander. :rolleyes:
That would only apply if you want to run the existing LNB on that Birdview.
If you want to re-equip it with a more modern LNBF, then pretty much any of the three (four) receivers should cover your alligator bites.
Same is true if you use your old receivers for C- with the new FTA receiver slaved to the old one, for Ku on the big dish.
But that goes well beyond my mandate to get you Ku-savvy. ;)

Last edited:
yep

Hmmm... sounds like the proverbial "wet-noodle" antenna would do for White Springs. :D
Maybe even that little POS plastic thing that my neigbor came to me with one day. It looked like a cheapo 5" plastic plate with a 1" bow tie, and was sold to him (by mail) as a "satellite antenna". LOL He was greatly saddened when I explained to him that he had been fleeced (to put it politely). Next he explained that his brother had a BUD next door, and he figured that I could probably somehow "get the satellite stuff out of the air (200 feet away)", for him. The lights were on ... but alas nobody was home....... sigh......
I already have a whole herd of C-band receivers and dish positioners, just waiting patiently in the corral. They're older stuff but should suffice after I add a new LNB or LNBF (as you say). Anyway, that's a late fall project if all goes well.
If I read it correctly both White Springs and PTV are available on KU. I hope that's correct.
I'm planning to order KU today if the creeks don't rise .... :D

=======================================================

Poke around the posts, relative to PBS and AC3 (Dolby) audio.
I think all PBS is AC3, but I'm not sure.
So, don't get caught out in the rain, if it's the dry you prefer. :)

WhiteSprings you can catch on a spoon and a popsicle stick.
Scroll down to post #24 and a few following ...
They pack a hot signal into the conus.

As for which receiver might be preferable to run the C-band stuff, you should go chat in the C-band section.
I think the Pansat may have some rotor control capability all the other receivers we discussed do not, but I'm not a low-bander. :rolleyes:
That would only apply if you want to run the existing LNB on that Birdview.
If you want to re-equip it with a more modern LNBF, then pretty much any of the three (four) receivers should cover your alligator bites.
Same is true if you use your old receivers for C- with the new FTA receiver slaved to the old one, for Ku on the big dish.
But that goes well beyond my mandate to get you Ku-savvy. ;)

We have video ..........

My new Fortec Classic NA arrived yesterday about noon, and by early afternoon I had AMC1 on my shop tube. No real problems to report - a textbook case of the basics. The temporary pole mount I'm using is a bit wonky so I just finished setting the spare 2 and 3/8 inch diameter pole in 320 pounds of concrete. I was only able to tune AMC1 where the temporary pole is - I suspect trees are causing the problem, so the new one is in the open. BTW, I was getting around 68% on the meter for AMC1. Naturally, metering readings are relative.
Thanks to Anole and everyone who helped me get up to speed quickly - it made it painless, and the forum was invaluable. Thanks a million guys! :up
I'll post a pic of the first signal. Please note that the pic is poor quality since I had to turn the shutter speed down to avoid seeing the vertical flyback, and I used available light - that results in a grainy pic, but what the ****, it's a pic, and the system is working! :D
http://www.grabapic.com/dish/first.jpg

Update to new system install - day two. I went out today and set up my spare 36 x 27" Chanelmaster FG dish w/Aspen 270KU LNBF (same as my other dish/LNBF - both salvaged units). I decided to point this one at IA7 in order to get White Springs programming. Although the previous setup for AMC1 was easy, with the built-in Fortec Classic meter reacting in almost real time, this setup was not quite as easy. The reason was that the metering circuit did not react much at all during setup, but only AFTER a full scan of the bird was made. After the scan the on-screen meter read around 65%, as opposed to barely moving off zero during setup. This made locating the correct azmuth tricky. I finally decided that the slight reading I was seeing before the scan must be the bird, and then initiated a full scan. The full scan brought the new (on-screen) signal strength meter reading up to the ~65% level, despite no movement of the dish itself. It's obvious that I'll need a seperate meter for future setups as this method is not very good because of the readings mentioned above. Luckily, I'm able to build and design a meter from parts on hand, so it'll be easy. I'll now go to the manufacturer (online) and see if a firmware update is in order to correct this problem. Thanks again to anole and all those who helped get me up to speed.
http://grabapic.com/dish/WSlogo_b_600.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up Tron! :up I've been offline due to IP problems, so I just found your post tonight. I was just wondering about the TP list thing when I found your post, and that clinched it for me. It finally registered in my mind why it's important, so tomorrow I should have better luck. Today I moved the dish to get away from trees (and point at 87w - AMC3 hopefully). I wasn't able to find 87W today, but only something nearby (apparently) ... but of course I didn't have the exact TP inserted. I had tried to add a new TP to the list the other day, but I couln't get the software to give me the "add new TP" prompt - maybe operator error. :eek: It worked fine tonight and I added the correct data for 87w.
It's good to know that help is out there, so thanks again!
BTW, the bird I got today has Mountain West baseball, Tadiran, Peaksat 2, numerous feeds, WAGAFOX5, Scopus, etc. Maybe that rings a bell with someone as I couldn't ID it by searching Lyngsat.

Those sound like feeds, and discussion of them is not allowed in open forum. This is because many uplinkers will intentionally scramble the signal if they realize that people are actually seeing it for free :rolleyes:

Hmmm... I see... well, I'm off to try to repoint the dish at this time. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)