Need Guidance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sports feeds would be great! Do you just search lyngsat for those? Will take your advice on the motors.

Thanks

So I am still just a bit confused:
I assume the Blind scan checks all the possible transponders for any channels. Then I select the FTA channels to watch. I see that some have better quality than others. This I presume is because of the Blind scan. If I only wanted a particular transponder, I would 'Scan' as opposed to 'Blind' scan. Is that correct?
Also, if Satelliteguys did not provide a nice 'List', how would one go about determining what are good transponders?

Thanks

Some channels will be better than others, even on the same satellite, its the difference in transmission parameters,power levels, etc. Far as the scans, blind scan will search all stored transponder freq, and look for new, active ones also. If you just want to scan tps already in your rec'rs list, pick the TP scan option. Some call it autoscan, and other names which I can't recall atm.

Get some practice for the next few weeks on finding different satellites reliably, then invest in a motor if you find some stuff you like on a few satellites. For example if you find yourself always watching 97°W & 101°W you could just do the GloryStar 4° setup instead of a motor. Of course the motor is better for feed hunting.

I posted about 97°W channels on another thread about what satellite to watch. http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...almost-cband55s-question-but.html#post1955365

Don't forget about 119°W having NASA & ION. It is easy to get on a single LNB 18" dish. You can often find these for free. With a DiSEqC switch you would be able to flip from something like 97°W to 119°W and have another 2-3 channels on your RV cable system. ;)

gillham,
great idea! I have the smaller dish still hanging around. Think I will give those suggestions a try. Not sure I will get to that for a bit as I am dogged with soccer this weekend and I hit the road on Monday and head south toward Oregon.

I am hoping to lock onto another sat today before the day is over...but its getting away fast.

No worries...life is good!

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys, I'm back trying to learn some more.
Took a shot at lining up with 97.0W. I get squeal from the finder on and around where geosatfinder says the bird is at but I cannot get quality. I wanted to use the strong transponder in 'The List' (12151) but do not have the option (I have 12152). From "the List' I was able to edit in the TP but not sure what and where to get the FEC value (trying Auto).
Still not getting quality.
Appreciate any thoughts here.

Thanks

Last edited:
the strong transponder in 'The List' (12151) but do not have the option (I have 12152).
That's normal, different receivers, different Freqs. Anything + / - a couple should work.
Here is a site for more detailed info....
Lyngsat.com/america.html
Takes a little looking, and time to get used to. Look at the column headers.
Freq is the First column, FEC, along with Scar Rate, is listed in the 6th column.

I get squeal from the finder on and around where geosatfinder says the bird is at but I cannot get quality.
From my experience with a Squeal Meter, they tend to lead you to the more powerful Circular Sats, there is one at 91 west.
Try the same thing as before, Set the Dish Elevation to what the Sat Finder paged suggests, a known Active TP selected in the receiver's Setup Menu, and slowly turn the Dish, watching for Quality to light up.

Lak7 wrote:
Try the same thing as before, Set the Dish Elevation to what the Sat Finder paged suggests, a known Active TP selected in the receiver's Setup Menu, and slowly turn the Dish, watching for Quality to light up.

And that sure is a good feeling when the Quality lights up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts